Gibson Garage, London...

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12079
    rlw said:

Even mrsrlw enjoyed the place and got a sense of what Gibson does and why, and why we all need more than one guitar.

Hmmmm... I may reconsider my disinterest in visiting the place :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6937
    Offset said:
    rlw said:

Even mrsrlw enjoyed the place and got a sense of what Gibson does and why, and why we all need more than one guitar.

Do they have a specific Partner Education area, and is the outcome guaranteed?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4738
    mrkb said:
    Offset said:
    rlw said:

Do they have a specific Partner Education area, and is the outcome guaranteed?

They kind of do actually.....although outcomes may vary.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4973
    I was in London the other day and took a wrong turn which brought me out on Oxford street; I decided I'd leave going there for another day, though.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 587
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^^^
    Photo dump of my visit last week. Lovely place, friendly staff. My mate tried out a £10k Explorer, they're happy for people to pick a guitar out to try.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1538
    I’m definitely a lot less snooty about the place knowing they are so welcoming with people trying stuff 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12079
    Great photos @Switch625 , thanks.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    Has anyone noticed if there are any lefty guitars on display?
  • euaneuan Frets: 1538
    There are some in those pictures yes. I spotted some LPs and 335s
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4738
    Chris.B said:
    Has anyone noticed if there are any lefty guitars on display?

There are several shown in the above pics.....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    That's good to know, I'll go and have a look next time I go to London.

Thanks @euan and @rlw ;
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 467
    Switch625 said:
    ^^^
    Photo dump of my visit last week. Lovely place, friendly staff. My mate tried out a £10k Explorer, they're happy for people to pick a guitar out to try.
    Great photos - I didn’t see any archtops, were there none at all?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    Some of the merch looks real cool. Those Kramer t shirts look ace. I don’t own a Kramer, but I’d buy one of those t shirts. 
    I’m going next week with my mate. Looking forward to it. 

Can we expect it to be monumentally busy, or not too bad?? 
    Nerine said:
    Some of the merch looks real cool. Those Kramer t shirts look ace. I don’t own a Kramer, but I’d buy one of those t shirts. 

I went on a weekday lunchtime and it was pretty empty bar a few people. I imagine on weekends it might get busier. But it's also tucked away down a side street so not much foot traffic going on around there.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23241
    Switch625 said:
    Nerine said:

I went on a weekday lunchtime and it was pretty empty bar a few people. I imagine on weekends it might get busier. But it's also tucked away down a side street so not much foot traffic going on around there.
    Also very close to the West End Donor Centre, if anyone wants to pop in and give blood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    I went yesterday. 

I didn’t really want to leave tbh. 

Staff were very cool. Some beautiful guitars in, plus you can try out a Mark VII, which I’m now gassing heavily for. 

Very cool shop. Some of the merch is really nice. I bought a couple of Tees whilst I was there. 

Would definitely go back. The prices are a bit mental, but everything is very well presented. It’s not cringey or trite, and honestly some of the comments earlier in this thread read pretty silly and churlish. It’s well done, IMO. 

I played a Pelham Blue ML LP. It was excellent. The ticket price was £8,990.00, though. Eeek. 

Anyway, I’ve been in other shops that sell high end gear that sort of stack it up, leave things laying about, let things get dusty, and honestly those sort of surroundings make the stock look bad and less worth the money than it looked in the Gibson Garage. 

Levels. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12016
    I went last weekend (23rd March) quite a nice place to visit.
    tbh the T-shirts were probably more interesting than the guitars, most of it is just the same model in different colours.
    Staff were friendly, there was a big queue downstairs to meet some band that had been or would be playing I think.

They frequently offered to let me try stuff.

I suppose unlike any other shop, they are probably happy to let you look at all the pretty colours and try stuff out, but not buy, since if you then buy mail-order, Gibson still make money.

Thinking about it now, they should have more amplifiers, and more historical stuff - old lap steels, old gibson amps.
    I'd run it as a showcase (like this), but also as a museum, to attract visitors and reinforce the brand.
    It did all seem to be Les Pauls and 335s really, which gets a bit samey.

Did it have all the Jazz box models in there? 
    I think they should have one of everything really.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1708
    Also very close to the West End Donor Centre, if anyone wants to pop in and give blood.
    How many armfuls will buy a LP special from there  or do you just get biscuits still .?

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    I look at it like Bullys special prize when they missed out on 101 with 6 darts " look what you could have had " ......
    Just c@ck tease yourself playing a £8000 Custom shop Gibson , put it back on the stand and go home to your either standard Gibson or Chinese Epiphone and playing it seems worse since playing that £8k custom.
     ....Personally i'd walk straight past it...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom