What's Hot

Comments

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10816
    tFB Trader
    AlbertC said:
    AlbertC said:
    Dominic said:
    Sounds like a Bullshit shop to me
    All these 'branded ' type shops are bullshit .........the minute you can buy a T shirt/cap etc you know they are simply peddling bullshit to gullible people .....whether it's guitars ,sport, motor, etc
    Harley Davidson are the 2 wheel equiv of Gibson in the 'good 'ol USA fashion ' .....their stock listing is a fasion merchandise Co. not a Motorcycle Co as the Revenue generated is principally from clothing, key-rings and general tat like a Harley Dartboard !! ....not V-twin Motorcycles .........Sad
    That Gibson shop is actually an Americana Nostalgia Store 
    Go give them your money..........
    It provides an opportunity to go and try out some very fabulous guitars from an iconic brand and it’ll cost you absolutely nothing. There were all sorts in there from old fellas like me to teenage kids loving it. 
    Why not actually try going there and experience it first before cynically slagging it off from your armchair? 
    Hummm ... trying out something I almost certainly can't afford - with headphones - surrounded by old fellas and teenage kids - 
    nah ... sounds like medieval torture. 
    Well I can't afford a Ferrari but I wouldn't necessarily turn down the opportunity to sit in one or have a short test drive. 
    Yeah, the environment isn't the best but you get to hold these guitars and see how they feel and look up close, so if I was thinking of buying a Gibson (most likely from another place) it's useful knowledge to have. 

Got to have a go in a Lamborghini Huracán a while back ... however with speed bumps and a pretty much universal 20 mph speed limit around our bit of London - nice noises were pretty much all I could make :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 235
    Dominic said:
    All these 'branded ' type shops are bullshit .........the minute you can buy a T shirt/cap etc you know they are simply peddling bullshit to gullible people .....whether it's guitars ,sport, motor, etc
    Harley Davidson are the 2 wheel equiv of Gibson in the 'good 'ol USA fashion ' .....their stock listing is a fasion merchandise Co. not a Motorcycle Co as the Revenue generated is principally from clothing, key-rings and general tat like a Harley Dartboard !! ....not V-twin Motorcycles .........Sad
    what exactly makes them bullshit shops? because you don't like them? Can you name 1 large brand in any sector that doesn't sell 'merch'. It's a business model that makes money, because that is the idea. You talk about Harley Davidson, where are you getting your numbers from that revenue is principally from merch and 'general tat'? Let's say you're right though and that is true, because you think it's tat doesn't mean some people don't want a Harley Shirt / Cap. So if you're saying a company selling merch to people who want to buy it is 'bullshit.. then your thought process might be the 'bullshit'. 

It is a Nostalgia store to a degree where it wants to showcase their history, but it is also a guitar shop as yes they do also sell guitars. I can't see the logic in why people think it's a bad thing, it's only a good thing for the industry and I haven't been, have no plans to go, but can still see that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12076
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    Kurtis said:
    Offset said:
    munckee said:
    Sporky said:
    munckee said:
    I went there yesterday, for the first time ever I saw some guitar tshirts I quite liked - but they were £54.  I was also stood on my own looking at the murphy lab stuff and a security guard walked round the corner and stared at me while holding his ear like an FBI agent and said "yes, I've got eyes on him now." he could have only meant me so why I aroused suspicion I don't know.
    S'probbly because you're so pretty. 
    I remember some american chaps in the deep south commenting on how pretty my mouth was, which I thought was jolly kind of them.
    Was this in a place called Deliverance?
    Aw man, that movie was so messed up!!

I mean, surely if you're going to get into that kind of thing you wait for Burt Reynolds to come down the river?
    You may want to rephrase that.
    I thought it was funny 

(it's actually a joke stollen from Who is Cletis Tout) 
    I was joking but I did miss the reference :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10816
    edited April 11 tFB Trader
    notsopro said:
    Dominic said:
    what exactly makes them bullshit shops? because you don't like them? Can you name 1 large brand in any sector that doesn't sell 'merch'. It's a business model that makes money, because that is the idea. You talk about Harley Davidson, where are you getting your numbers from that revenue is principally from merch and 'general tat'? Let's say you're right though and that is true, because you think it's tat doesn't mean some people don't want a Harley Shirt / Cap. So if you're saying a company selling merch to people who want to buy it is 'bullshit.. then your thought process might be the 'bullshit'. 

It is a Nostalgia store to a degree where it wants to showcase their history, but it is also a guitar shop as yes they do also sell guitars. I can't see the logic in why people think it's a bad thing, it's only a good thing for the industry and I haven't been, have no plans to go, but can still see that.
    Living in London, anything that brings in tourists is a good thing - so great that it's open for them. At 64 I count myself as still being too young for nostalgia ;-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 945
    Guitarists moaning about a new guitar shop opening? …

only on TFB!  
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2343
    I wonder how long this will last? 

I like good band t shirts, but still not sold on guitar brand clothing at all. 

I am extremely cynical of Gibson, despite owning two. I like their instruments but their marketing/pricing/overall 'rawk n roll' image makes me feel a bit meh.

I do look forward to the day Cesar and Agnesi are replaced with younger musicians who understand new modern music. 

Anyway, I suppose it brings tourists in/brings business to the area which is never a bad thing.

Personally I'd be more interested if it were a Fender store...but again I doubt I'd buy from there. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12076

I am extremely cynical of Gibson, despite owning two. I like their instruments but their marketing/pricing/overall 'rawk n roll' image makes me feel a bit meh.

Yep, you've summed up my views fairly well, althugh I'd hesitate to say I like their instruments (I own just the one).  I have however come round to paying GG a visit when I'm next in town based on what others have said here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23241
    I do look forward to the day Cesar and Agnesi are replaced with younger musicians who understand new modern music. 
    It will happen... but by then those younger musicians will no longer be young and their music will no longer be new and modern.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 835
    I wonder if Fender will open a Fender Farm House?! 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4911
    edited April 11
    PRS could open a dental practice, with a rotating roster of visiting practitioners who can do work to pay for their next wood library.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 254
    I’ve still not gone despite being in soho at least twice a week. Maybe I’ll check it out on Sunday.

I’m a sucker for gift shops though, and recently started to kinda like the idea of gear branded merch. It’s a trap!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6937
    Offset said:

Yep, you've summed up my views fairly well, althugh I'd hesitate to say I like their instruments (I own just the one).  I have however come round to paying GG a visit when I'm next in town based on what others have said here.
    Guitarguitar is worth visiting as its employee owned.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10326
    edited April 11
    DDtB said:
    Hard to watch this and not think Les Pauls are still cool!  https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3vvYaES-rF/?igsh=c3RhaHE5eHc1MzBh
    Slash is not cool. He never was. 

You're in the minority there matey.  From where I sit, that comment wins the award for being the most incorrect thing posted on the internet today.
    I know someone who works there. He got to hang out with Jimmy Page, Brian May & Tony Iommi the other day, absolutely mental.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2343
    Boromedic said:
    PRS could open a dental practice, with a rotating roster of visiting practitioners who can do work to pay for their next wood library.
    ...and an area for the NHS dentists with SE/S2 guitars. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 11
    Boromedic said:
    They could launch a new model, the PRS BDA with inlays made from extracted teeth, and hardware made from the amalgam they use for fillings. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23241
    Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:
    They could launch a new model, the PRS BDA with inlays made from extracted teeth, and hardware made from the amalgam they use for fillings. 
    Oh my aching sides....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Boromedic said:
    Boromedic said:
    Oh my aching sides....
    Hahahaha

• NerineNerine Frets: 2212
    edited April 11
    So much *laughing_ginger_kid.jpg* in this thread… 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 301
    Dominic said:
    Mate, the nearly the entire business is what youve described. The shop is just a symptom. 

Gibson has clearly looked at Harley Davidson and modelled themselves in that vein. Keep producing relics from the past while selling the image and as much merch as possible. 

At least Harley Davidson had Buell and has now started to invest in electric motorcycles. Sure Gibson has the “modern” line but their main focus is selling the image their old tech will bring, with a side of 9lbs of mahogany. 
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2535
    That’s entire industry, you can’t exactly blame Gibson or Fender for making products that the paying customer wants. There’s no shortage other guitar brands if you want something else, the public clearly still want heritage Americana more than robot tuners
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom