Neck pocket gaps

What's Hot
CasabgCasabg Frets: 16
edited February 24 in Guitar
Hi All, 
I have just picked up a custom shop masterbuilt strat. There was a neck pocket gap and the neck needed realigning as the bass E was too close to the edge of the fretboard. Now that the adjustment has happened the pocket gap is even worse. Thoughts ? Thanks
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/pb35iakjtc7pu2szp76kw/h?rlkey=foysjglqt3u47iv2czq2bu4h4&dl=0

Can’t seem to upload pics
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2592
    edited February 24
    Yikes. Is this new from a dealer?

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CasabgCasabg Frets: 16
    It sure is and an excellent dealer, great people
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Send it back.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That’s what my gut says too, thank you
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1547
    Yes, I'd have sent that back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2592
    +1 looks anything but masterbuilt
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    Not what I'm use to seeing on a CS or MB - Often so tight that you can accidentally damage the finish, on the body, putting it back 
    Thank you all for your insight
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7846
    edited February 24
    Even on most of the ready sprayed bodies I've bought in the past for less than £300 to build Partscasters with standard Fender and Squier necks, the pockets have been a very accurate "squeaky" fit, and so tight that I've chipped finish around the pocket as mentioned by @guitars4you;. I wouldn't accept a guitar with a gap like that at the neck pocket.  It's been badly routed and I'm wondering what the pin holes are close to the edge of the pocket.

One of the other views from your DropBox photos:

Just my opinion also, but it might just be due to the perspective in some of the photos, but it looks to me as though the fret ends have been bevelled too far in from the fretboard edge.  It looks as though the fretboard edges have been "rolled", and that makes it somewhat harder to contour the fret ends, but the low E string looks very close to where the bevel starts in some of the photos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    BillDL said:
    Even on most of the ready sprayed bodies I've bought in the past for less than £300 to build Partscasters with standard Fender and Squier necks, the pockets have been a very accurate "squeaky" fit, and so tight that I've chipped finish around the pocket as mentioned by @guitars4you;. I wouldn't accept a guitar with a gap like that at the neck pocket.  It's been badly routed and I'm wondering what the pin holes are close to the edge of the pocket.
    Thank you, it’s A relic, so I would anticipate that they are deliberate dings. Actually, this is a rebuild because the last guitar had a massive Lacquer run.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s8r033xqcby7ilquxlkav/IMG_9421.JPG?rlkey=6mw6bs011elafljelac7zpt9z&dl=0

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24880
    That needs to go back…
    Yes, this is after the neck has been realigned, just by loosening, the screws, moving the neck and tightening, the gap is now much worse
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32016
    Is it a 70s reissue?
    ;)
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    Send The Bugger Back.

Unacceptable on a mid-range guitar let alone a high-end one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Casabg said:
    Yes, this is after the neck has been realigned, just by loosening, the screws, moving the neck and tightening, the gap is now much worse
    My experience on a CS or MB is that there is no/little negotiation for such alignment anyway - Normally perfect (unlike many original examples) such is the advantage of CNC routing etc 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73138
    p90fool said:
    Is it a 70s reissue?
    ;)
    My first thought too!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

no it's a 60s, Strat and I was thinking, if they were like that in the 60s, then it could be argued that it's an authentic copy. However I'm not getting that vibe
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73138
    Casabg said:
    no it's a 60s, Strat and I was thinking, if they were like that in the 60s, then it could be argued that it's an authentic copy. However I'm not getting that vibe
    Some were, although not commonly - routing accuracy in the 60s wasn't all that high either, although it did get noticeably worse in the 70s. Joking aside, even if they were all like that it would not be acceptable on what is supposed to be a modern high-quality replica *but with the faults - usually listed as things like worn frets, crackly pots etc - removed*. Even the Mexican 70s reissues have neck pockets that fit properly.

I also agree with BillDL that the frets are excessively filed at the ends, that's neither vintage-accurate nor desirable for playability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    Casabg said:
    The advantage of CNC ensures such issues stay in the vintage era - not all vintage guitars had ‘alignment’ issues but some did - Accuracy of CNC generally eradicates such issues