Neck pocket gaps

What's Hot

Comments

• CasabgCasabg Frets: 16
    Yes, I did spec extra roll on the fingerboard edges, but as has been mentioned, the frets ends are very filed…..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5116
    edited February 24
    Definitely send it back, that gap is totally unacceptable even in a mid-range guitar. And the paint dribble shown in this pic is shockingly bad too. Are you sure it isn’t an Ian Elson ‘masterbuilt’?

Casabg said:. Actually, this is a rebuild because the last guitar had a massive Lacquer run.

Unless that’s the lacquer run you’re referring to above, although I’m not really sure what ‘rebuild’ and ‘last guitar’ mean in your comment there.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    IMG_0514.jpeg 225.4K
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6888
    I mean its not what I'd accept on any bolt on. 

Here is my run of the mill Fender American Professional from 2019. Zero movement in the pocket and its pretty much bang on, especially as the saddles arent slotted. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2592
    We live in an age where you can reasonably expect a replacement body from one company to fit perfectly well with a neck from a different manufacturer, Fender Custom Shop should never let something like that leave the building 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Casabg said:
    BillDL said:
    Even on most of the ready sprayed bodies I've bought in the past for less than £300 to build Partscasters with standard Fender and Squier necks, the pockets have been a very accurate "squeaky" fit, and so tight that I've chipped finish around the pocket as mentioned by @guitars4you;. I wouldn't accept a guitar with a gap like that at the neck pocket.  It's been badly routed and I'm wondering what the pin holes are close to the edge of the pocket.
    Thank you, it’s A relic, so I would anticipate that they are deliberate dings. Actually, this is a rebuild because the last guitar had a massive Lacquer run.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s8r033xqcby7ilquxlkav/IMG_9421.JPG?rlkey=6mw6bs011elafljelac7zpt9z&dl=0

Okay, thanks all, let me be clear, the Guitar in the first post is a rebuild of the Guitar with a lacquer run which I rejected - a photo of which is lower down in the . So looks like this is the second master built from the same builder that I'm rejecting. I'm really lucky in having an excellent dealer close to me. 

• What a piece of shit; send it back.
    My youtube music channel is here My youtube aviation channel is here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5116
    Casabg said: Okay, thanks all, let me be clear, the Guitar in the first post is a rebuild of the Guitar with a lacquer run which I rejected - a photo of which is lower down in the . So looks like this is the second master built from the same builder that I'm rejecting. I'm really lucky in having an excellent dealer close to me. 
    That’s a bit clearer, although I’m still intrigued to know what you mean by ‘rebuild’. I’ve not heard of the Custom Shop doing that.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Ach now sure…. Nowt a wee bit of gaffer tape won’t sort out fellas.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73135
    I have to say this is the first CS Fender I've seen with issues like this - although it's also true to say that I've always been much less impressed with the 'masterbuilts' I've played than the 'team builts' - admittedly only a sample size of about half a dozen though, vs maybe a couple of dozen 'team' ones.

It looks like Fender are copying some of Gibson's high-end manufacturing methods...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3336
    If that’s a custom shop I’ll build you a custom guitar. It’ll have gaps all over the place! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 609
    Did you not notice the quality of the build before you purchased it? Or did you buy online unseen? I have a HB T Style with a far superior neck pocket than that and better finish all round.
    Yes I would definitely take it back for a refund.
    I soecced  it out about four years ago, ordered it through my excellent local retailer, it arrived in December 2022, I noticed a massive lacquer run as per the picture above, so I rejected it and it was sent back to the Fender Custom Shop for a rebuild, they rebuilt the body And attach the old neck and here it is with a neck pocket gap that I don't think is appropriate, that's the whole story for so, ordered to my spec, delivered, but had a lacquer run, it was rebuilt, arrived this week 14 months later and the new Guitar has problems 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    edited February 25 tFB Trader
    That’s quite excessive for a run, for them to take it back and replace the body (which is likely a clear coat run). A fresh Stanley blade, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 wet and dry followed by some G6 paste would have fixed that in 15 mins.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    ^^ Wow.  That really is piss-poor.  And a truly crap run of luck for you.  Hope it's sorted to your satisfaction.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:
    ^^ Wow.  That really is piss-poor.  And a truly crap run of luck for you.  Hope it's sorted to your satisfaction.
    Appreciate the sentiment, many thanks. You're not wrong
    Thank you all for your insight, guitar rejected, the dealers were outstanding as always…. That’s it with the fender custom shop for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73135
    Casabg said:

That’s it with the fender custom shop for me.
    Disappointing that they couldn’t get it right given my (limited) experience with them, but I don’t blame you.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Who was the 'masterbuilder'? Do you not have his direct contact? 
    Todd Krause, very surprising
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Pretty dismal all round...those fret ends are shocking, would expect better on a Fender MIM. His assistant builders need sacking. Have you emailed him?