Fryette PS-2 Attenuator & Power amp... with a Marshall SV20

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319

That sounds amazing to me. But I notice that the depth control on the Fryette is all the way up.
Does the Fryette add lots of low end or is it subtle and the knob just has a lot of travel?

It's certainly the best sound I've heard from an SV20 on youtube.

He says he's using a G12M65 Creamback in the cab.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 844
    There's quite a lot added with that much depth.   It is however depth not bass.   It's thump if you will.

My guess is he's got it that high to get a bigger cab sound, as it looks like a 2x12?  Creating a 4x12 caracteur from that smaller cab? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    I read it as a 1x12 in his answer to a comment.

The Fryette seems to be a clever bit of kit. Attenuator and a power amp. Would go perfectly with my Helix and still let me have some valve amps in the house too.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6155
    Sounds pretty good, but what I'm mostly hearing is the sound of his room.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3252

The Fryette seems to be a clever bit of kit. Attenuator and a power amp. Would go perfectly with my Helix and still let me have some valve amps in the house too.
    That's pretty much my current gigging rig.

I notice he's not jumpered the channels on his SV20H so he's not getting any 'normal' channel.

I don't recall the PS-2's controls being too aggressive...but I keep them middled. Also, I go into a Barefaced 2x12 and use the cab's low-cut feature.

To be pernickety, the PS-2 is not an attenuator...it's a slave power amp that can take a 'speaker out' level input.
    The demo has some with the channels jumped - he removes the patch cable at one point in the demo.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3252
    The demo has some with the channels jumped - he removes the patch cable at one point in the demo.
    Sorry...only skimmed it.

I don't use half the features of the PS-2...would be ideal for your Helix or keeping amps sensible. You can also silent-record valve amps with it.
    I've been looking at all my stuff that I don't use and thinking about what I can sell.

A PS2 might be on the horizon at some point.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Got one arriving tomorrow to try out. I have been re-amping for a while with other devices and am convinced it is better than any attenuator solution. Going to have a good peak under the chassis too.
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    That does sound epic. I keep on thinking about eventually having a home rig consisting of SC20H, SV20H, Waza TAE and Zilla Ported 1x12
    That does sound epic. I keep on thinking about eventually having a home rig consisting of SC20H, SV20H, Waza TAE and Zilla Ported 1x12
    That would be very nice!
    Or… 1959 Hand Wired with a Variac and the Fryette…

https://youtu.be/gX2WKHsq19k?si=7V7gpvFEFwXDfL0n

• noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited March 8
    That would be very nice!
    They had that setup (but with Marshall cabs not Zilla obvs) in the studio at the Marshall factory tour last year. Only played it through cans but was absolutely blown away by it. 

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 854
    I had the SV20 into a Boss TAE then an early ‘80’s Marshall cab, sounded great. Also swapped the TAE for a US Ultimate attenuator/re-amper which also sounded great, plus it was smaller, simpler and cheaper.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    Love my ps2. Expensive but worth it. 
    What’s better, the Boss TAE or the Fryette?
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    I recently got a PS2a and love it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I used to have the first version - it powered a 2x12 cab for my Axe-FX
    I did change that about 4/5 years back for a Seymore Duncan Power Stage 170.   It was done for 2 reasons .

1st space (things were getting cramped).

2nd the Fryette needs to be accessible for the standby - but the SD can be hidden in the back of the rack.

Im looking at a small 1x12 valve combo plus a few select pedals just because (Still use the AFX) and thinking about going back tot he Fryette.  Still powered the 2x12 and AFX, Attenuates the valve combo (so can look at ANY power rating for the map) and adds an FX loop (as some combos Im looking at dont have one).

Until Im ready top actually but the amp (need to narrow down which - then when I can afford it - dependant on the amp) theres no real point in getting the Fryette - though if I find a decently priced used one I will.
    I'm thinking Fryette first as it can be instantly useable with my Helix, and then save up for a good head in due time.

Part of me thinks just get another 800, but I've never had a proper plexi and after watching some demos with a Variac and the PS-2 that has certainly got my mind working!
    I'm thinking Fryette first as it can be instantly useable with my Helix, and then save up for a good head in due time.

Part of me thinks just get another 800, but I've never had a proper plexi and after watching some demos with a Variac and the PS-2 that has certainly got my mind working!
    If I didn't have the sempre Duncan, I'd be the same..but I have so powering a modeller is already covered.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    GG listed a load of Fryette stuff ‘ex-demo’ earlier this week but it seems to have all sold…wonder if there’s a new revision on the way?