Fryette PS-2 Attenuator & Power amp... with a Marshall SV20

What's Hot

Comments

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    It's a great piece of kit. I'm running my Carr Rambler at half volume, so it's not distorted, but compressing really nicely.

Only problem is now I finally feel like I can use a huge plexi, and I don't have the cash!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 35
    edited March 13
    I am looking to get a Fryette Powerstation to pair with a 100W Two Rock CRS and Marshall 20W SV20H with an amp switcher.

Should I go for a PS100 or PS2?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24324
    slawler said:
    I am looking to get a Fryette Powerstation to pair with a 100W Two Rock CRS and Marshall 20W SV20H with an amp switcher.

I don't know - but I'm jealous and I want to hear that rig! :D 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Fryette have some great comparison videos on YouTube. I'd recommend checking them out.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Just had a go on mine, there is fan noise, but it is very low and well below the acoustic sound of an electric guitar.

First thoughts is it works really very well, it very transparent even down to lower levels. The switches on the front are really helpful in tailoring the sound when you change volumes/cabs. 

There is a bypass switch on the front, you can switch between the amp full signal and the re-amped signal and there is very little difference in it.

I don't think anyone that gets one of these will be disappointed.
    Just to add to this. I have tried the Reactive load part of the PS DI'd into my DAW and compared it against my Suhr inductive load and Two Notes Live unit. I still prefer the Suhr load, it just has a little bit more bounce and compression, So I don't think I will replace it with the PS for DI recording. 

But it does sound and feel better than the two note live unit and the two switches on the front make it a more flexible solution.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 844
    slawler said:

PS2 honestly.   you only need the 100- if your using a low power amp that you want to run really loud (like 100W clean loud).  When pushed full up - with a line uiinput form my Axe-FX sending 0db out - it stays clean (just) all the way up and is pushing around 118db on my meter - which is 2.5 meters above the cab not in front, though in a smallish room.   
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9550
    edited March 23
    Does the Fryette have a cooling fan?

How noisy is it?
    Ive just landed a PS100, which is surprisingly noisy. Fan noise and slight hum, but too much for me, and im no diva.
    On its way back.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 844
    edited March 23
    I havent found the fan noise too bad.  Its a lot quitter than the one in the Seymor Duncan Powerstage 170.   I had them side by side on my desk - the SD had to be mounted int he rear of the rack to be useable in that regard.   Cant do that with the Fryette as you need access to the standby switch really 

If I can find the physical size of the fan anywhere - I will replace it with a suitable Noctua, but its not that intrusive really.  Id also say I have the PS2A not the 100 - and the fan on the 100 MAY be set to a higher RPM and so louder?  Just guessing its possible. 

Just received my PS100 and comparing to the Ox Box it’s a much better attenuator by far.

There is a bit of fan noise but it’s not too distracting and for what it does, is a worthwhile trade-off.

I went for the PS100 over the PS2a, as I am using with a 100w Two Rock and a seperate Marshall with a switcher, so the two sets of controls are really useful and it can re-amp up to 100W, rather than 50W.

It’s a pricey bit of kit but allows me to open these amps up to volumes where they sound fantastic. Highly highly recommend!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9550
    slawler said:

Just received my PS100 and comparing to the Ox Box it’s a much better attenuator by far.

There is a bit of fan noise but it’s not too distracting and for what it does, is a worthwhile trade-off.

I went for the PS100 over the PS2a, as I am using with a 100w Two Rock and a seperate Marshall with a switcher, so the two sets of controls are really useful and it can re-amp up to 100W, rather than 50W.

It’s a pricey bit of kit but allows me to open these amps up to volumes where they sound fantastic. Highly highly recommend!
    I agree that the attenuator is brilliant
    “Not too distracting” is usually my code for “will cause me to vomit into the eyes of the designer.” 
    “Not too distracting” is usually my code for “will cause me to vomit into the eyes of the designer.” 
    As someone who is usually really particular over this kind of thing, it’s really not that noticeable for me - even at very low volumes! 

I’ve tried a few different attenuators and firmly settled on the Powerstation as by far the best…
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    I’ve just ordered a PS-2A. 

Seem to be really hard to get hold of. I’ve been looking for a decent used one for ages but just none about or they get snapped up really quickly. 

Ah well. 

I have a question though. 

The fx send and return. 

The only place the fx loop is heard is through the speaker output on the Powerstation? I.e. it’s not routed to the line out as well? 

Was planning the IR portion of it and it seems to me that I’m gonna need to tap the output of the Powerstation for that. I want all my fx and stuff to go through the PA, obvs. I don’t think the line out incorporates the fx loop so I can’t just take a cable from there to the input of Two Notes Opus for example. 

Kind of annoying. I wanted the option to be able to do a silent stage rig but I’m not sure if I can because the Opus (not bought yet admittedly) is just a pass through and I have nowhere for the Fryette to load into. 

Orrrrrrr

I could potentially just go out of the fx send and not return to the Fryette. I think that might work. The PS can run without a cab but given I’m gonna be running a Marshall SV20H into it that’s all the power amp stuff already happening. 

The reason it gets tricky is because I need a volume boost too. 

I want to be able to run a cab and the option of silently. 

I was thinking about getting a load box for the output of the Fryette but that’s starting to get daft. 

Actually. I’ve just remembered I have a Hot Plate. I could probably use that but it’s then the most convoluted rig ever. lol 

Ah mega. 

The fx loop send is still active on the Powerstation with no power or cab connected. 
    Seeing as that send is essentially the speaker output of the Marshall I’ll be running into it, I should be able to get a good sound running that fx send through my reverbs and delays etc via a boost pedal for volume duties into the Opus line in for cab modelling direct to PA should I want to do the silent stage thing. 

Bloody perfick. Excited to try it. :D 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3252
    ^ That's very similar to my thoughts when I first got it.

You are correct about the fx loop only appearing on the PS-2's speaker output.

I run that into a Suhr ACE for feeding a PA.

Did also consider the secondary load box for silent applications...but I actually don't use the PS-2 at home.
    ^ That's very similar to my thoughts when I first got it.

You are correct about the fx loop only appearing on the PS-2's speaker output.

I run that into a Suhr ACE for feeding a PA.

Did also consider the secondary load box for silent applications...but I actually don't use the PS-2 at home.
    I think we both replied to my post at the same time. 

The fx loop send into an IR loader at the end of the chain would be the way to do the silent thing I think?? 

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3252
    I think I got into plugins around this time so I didn't really explore the silent options...rings a bell though.

You can use the PS-2 as a load box even when unpowered...but only fx send and line out are effective.
    I think I couldn't use the Suhr ACE there as it takes only speaker or line level inputs...so a standard chain of post-amp pedals was a bit weedy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 12
    I’m actually tempted to put an Opus on my board and run it in the fx loop of the Fryette and run it last after my volume boost pedal. Seeing as the Opus is essentially a pass through that doesn’t alter the through signal, it can be in a loop, therefore If I return the signal to the Fryette, that’ll be for when I’m using a cab. If I don’t power the Fryette or have a cab connected, I’ll not run a return cable to the FX return on the Fryette and it’ll act as a load for the Marshall and will run silently through everything to the PA. 

Provided this all works as I assume it will, this will be a mega flexible rig:

Legit cranked Plexi sounds with a proper positioned loop so effects sound good, depth controls, “power scaling” from 0 to a chunky 50w to mix it with loud drummers, switchable master volume, ability to run silently or direct to PA with or without a cab…

Like, that’s basically a killer feature set for me. Just gotta buy the Opus, and it’s gonna be a freaking sweeeeet rig. 
    I think I got into plugins around this time so I didn't really explore the silent options...rings a bell though.

You can use the PS-2 as a load box even when unpowered...but only fx send and line out are effective.
    I think I couldn't use the Suhr ACE there as it takes only speaker or line level inputs...so a standard chain of post-amp pedals was a bit weedy.
    Ah right. I think the Two Notes unit has a switchable input so you can set
    its internal trim for what is feeding it. I’ll have to read up on that, admittedly. 
    Or.... send it back and get the 2 channel version instead so you can have the Fryette do the boost?