Fryette PS-2 Attenuator & Power amp... with a Marshall SV20

What's Hot

Comments

• PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 854
    I'm thinking Fryette first as it can be instantly useable with my Helix, and then save up for a good head in due time.

Part of me thinks just get another 800, but I've never had a proper plexi and after watching some demos with a Variac and the PS-2 that has certainly got my mind working!
    Plexi/superlead and a good attenuator is a wonderful combination, nothing like getting them output valves cooking.
       I’ve owned a few Marshall’s, 2203, 2204, a modded 1959HW, Vintage Modern, SV20H, 1974 100w Superlead, but the 2016 1959SLP was probably the best sounding Marshall I ever owned.
       The newer SV20H is great too, not quite as ‘big’ sounding as the 100w, but still awesome.
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    What’s better, the Boss TAE or the Fryette?
    And do either/both of them oblige you to use a cab with minimum 100w of power handling? My Zilla ported with H75 Creamback comes up 25w short. The H150 Redback seems to sound noticeably darker, and I don’t want the additional expense/bulk/sonic grunt of a 2x12 at home
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24325
    What’s better, the Boss TAE or the Fryette?
    And do either/both of them oblige you to use a cab with minimum 100w of power handling? My Zilla ported with H75 Creamback comes up 25w short. The H150 Redback seems to sound noticeably darker, and I don’t want the additional expense/bulk/sonic grunt of a 2x12 at home
    There's a load of YT vids of the PS2 using 1x12 cabs with a variety of cones - even just a single Creamback.
    Does the Fryette have a cooling fan?

How noisy is it?
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 845
    edited March 9
    GG listed a load of Fryette stuff ‘ex-demo’ earlier this week but it seems to have all sold…wonder if there’s a new revision on the way?
    nope.....  Theres a thread on the Axe-FX forum where someone was speculating the same - however Fryettes rep posted that the PS=2a isnt discontinued, nor is there a revision planned in the near future.    

Its more likely GG are no longer going to carry Fryette stuff.  Possibly doesnt sell fast enough for them.  
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47

How noisy is it?
    It does. I find it a little bit annoying initially when I’m not playing but don’t notice it when I’m playing at even heavily attenuated levels in the room. 

I think that the depth knob and bright switches etc are enormously useful
    I'll have to find one and try it then.

I have a pathological hatred of fan noise in music gear. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3252
    guitaraj said:

How noisy is it?
    It does. I find it a little bit annoying initially when I’m not playing but don’t notice it when I’m playing at even heavily attenuated levels in the room...
    I think it blends into the general amp hum...although I tend not to use it at home.

If you're silent recording with it, you don't even need to power it up (so no fan).
  • guitarajguitaraj Frets: 47
    guitaraj said:

How noisy is it?
    It does. I find it a little bit annoying initially when I’m not playing but don’t notice it when I’m playing at even heavily attenuated levels in the room...
    I think it blends into the general amp hum...although I tend not to use it at home.

If you're silent recording with it, you don't even need to power it up (so no fan).
    That’s very true. I have used it that way too and run it out into an Ox Stomp for the cab modelling, which I like very much
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    It’s pretty quiet, mines never bothered me. 
  • slawlerslawler Frets: 35
    I’m debating selling my Ox Box and going Fryette Powerstation PS100 and Ox Stomp.

Many others done this and seen the advantage attenuation wise?

only downside is no headphone in but I suppose you could always use the headphone port on the audio interface.
    Anyone know if the fan could be swapped for a Noctua or BeQuiet fan and get any noise even lower?
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2166
    Think this will be my next rig tbh. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6155
    Anyone know if the fan could be swapped for a Noctua or BeQuiet fan and get any noise even lower?
    I'd imagine Fryette already specced a very low noise fan in the first place. No-one wants fans at home or in a studio. Live, no problem - it just disappears into the noise floor of beer glasses, chatter, etc.

FWIW, Roland used to skimp on the fans in the MV-8800 and it was a popular and worthwhile upgrade to replace them with Noctua.
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    Just had a go on mine, there is fan noise, but it is very low and well below the acoustic sound of an electric guitar.

First thoughts is it works really very well, it very transparent even down to lower levels. The switches on the front are really helpful in tailoring the sound when you change volumes/cabs. 

There is a bypass switch on the front, you can switch between the amp full signal and the re-amped signal and there is very little difference in it.

I don't think anyone that gets one of these will be disappointed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The FX Loop on the PS2A - can you use a volume boost in it to effectively add another master volume to an otherwise cranked Plexi type amp? Like, it will get louder with a clean boost pedal in the Power Station’s effects loop? 

I know you can switch on the PS100, but that only has one speaker output and it’d be nice to have two.
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3252
    Nerine said:
    The FX Loop on the PS2A - can you use a volume boost in it to effectively add another master volume to an otherwise cranked Plexi type amp? Like, it will get louder with a clean boost pedal in the Power Station’s effects loop? 
    Yes…I’ve had good results with a Secret Preamp, EP Booster, Strymon Deco, etc.
    Nerine said:
    That’s what I wanted to hear. Thanks. That was the only question mark for me really. 
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:
    That’s what I wanted to hear. Thanks. That was the only question mark for me really. 
    There is a 2 channel version of the Fryette that you can footswitch the levels. It's not much more expensive - there are drive / boost pedals that cost more than the difference.
    Nerine said:
    Nerine said:
    There is a 2 channel version of the Fryette that you can footswitch the levels. It's not much more expensive - there are drive / boost pedals that cost more than the difference.
    Yeah, aware of that. Mentioned it in my post but it got chopped out of the quote. Issue with the 100 for me is that there is only one speaker output, and I’d quite like 2 as per the PS2A

Not only that, I’ve gotta plug delays and stuff in the loop anyhow, so may as well pop the boost pedal in there too and not add a separate channel footswitch to my board and stuff. 

The PS2A seems to be the best solution for my needs. Plus it’s cheaper too, which for me is fucking surprising. Hehe. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom