A person kills your child..,

What's Hot
What would you want to happen to this person?
death penalty?
life imprisonment?
rehabilitation?
forgiveness?
something else?
‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12436
    That would depend on the circumstances, accident, murder, drunk driver, self-defense. All depends.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 900
    Stabbed to death 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wasn’t self defence 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23256
    I don't have children.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't have children.
    No need for you to worry then :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Indeed.
    Next 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19131
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't have children.
    No need for you to worry then
    So that precludes the possibility of empathy & sympathy being present in those that have not procreated (accidentally or otherwise)?
    Fuck that as an idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Moving on
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1333
    if not deliberate then forgiveness. If deliberate, something else.. Perhaps along the revenge lines of the scarface chainsaw scene. 
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    So go on, why did you start this thread?  What's your opinion?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12968
    Anyone who claims to know how they'd respond to the death of one of their children is either lying, or has sadly been through it already. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, so I’ll elaborate a bit.
    sparked by a comment today on the forum about “how would you feel?”, regarding the murder of one of your loved ones.
       I’m making some of this up as I go along, so let’s see where it takes us…
       Serial killer killed three victims over the past year, your child(but could be any loved one) was the last victim, what would you want to see happen to the killer?
    Anyone who claims to know how they'd respond to the death of one of their children is either lying, or has sadly been through it already. 
    This.  And as I said, I haven't got children.

I don't understand the thread.  It's just pointless hypothetical bullshit speculation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    This.  And as I said, I haven't got children.

I don't understand the thread.  It's just pointless hypothetical bullshit speculation.
    It is about having an opinion based upon emotional content and how this may not always be the best angle to support, but you are more than welcome to call it bullshit…it all adds to the thread, thank you.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4161
    edited March 21
    I have always been against capital punishment.

How I would feel if a loved one was harmed would make me question that.

But that's why we have a justice system and laws, so people in this situation don't have to make such a decision. 

A civilised society does not kill people. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2631
    Thanks.  I was thinking about it and everything felt so formulaic and forced.  Then I read your post and realized it was exactly right.

I think despair and emptiness are the only sure ways I can describe how I’d feel.  I don’t believe in revenge, but I also know there’s no river in the world so short that it doesn’t have a bend in it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2943
    This is a thread that is designed to provoke an argument on the death penalty.

Im against it.  The death penalty and the thread.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 19reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10743
    I think you’d desperately want them to be genuinely sorry for what they did and beg for forgiveness or understanding or whatever; if you didn’t see that, I think it would be very hard to want anything other than loooooonnnnnng punishment. If you saw true remorse, I think that could maybe give you a glimmer of something else. Like rehabilitation, or a feeling of not wanting two lives to be wasted. It would totally depend on the killer’s honest feelings about it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28844
    I'd put on a cape and goggles and rampage through the glass cities of Neptune. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom