Isnt soup amazing stuff?

What's Hot
robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
I am really digging Thai Lemongrass and chicken cupasoups at the moment, I do love a good chicken soup though, isnt soup amazing?
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Hokkaido Soup Curry!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    I like mein strone, and also the curry one which I think is mulag o' tawny
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Amazing!  Just as I opened this thread Our Maud brought in a Naked Chilli Chicken noodle soup for my lunch! 

It's wonderful stuff, I could probably live on just soup.

• bluecatbluecat Frets: 579
    I could live on soup, as long as I had real proper bread and real butter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheese sarnie and tomato soup is one of my go to lunches.

I love soup from bog standard from a tin to more fancy and home made, I think it's one of foods greatest wins.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    Is this the resurrection of the "stew" thread?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    tony99 said:
    I like mein strone
    Is that the German version? 

(again, sorry)

I think I don't like soup, but I do. There's a really nice chorizo and chestnut on, and a good black bean soup is ace. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3675
    edited March 25
    I make some two or three times a week… as long as there is onion, carrot, celery and assorted cheeses, beans around, they are so easy to make.   Crusty bread and a nice home made soup…. Peasant food is the best.

Cream for luxury version.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    edited March 25
    Khao Soi Gai is the best soup in the world- according to some travel journalist and according to me
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    If I'm really sick I'll have some chicken noodle soup. Does a good job of clearing the mucus and sinuses!
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    it can be high in salt though and thats not counting all the salt in the bread that goes with it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22913
    robgilmo said:
    Isnt soup amazing?
    Is it though?  Most of it is creamy (yuck) or tomatoey (blech), sometimes it has soggy bits of pasta or noodles in it (spew).... and often it's served at a nasty lukewarm temperature which only makes it worse.

I don't mind watery soups with lots of lumpy bits, though.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Anyone a fan of the little cup of caldo you would sometimes get alongside your tapa in Spain? Lovely little tomatoey, garlicky cups of salty heaven with lumps of soggy bread in. Devine!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    A Discussion about soup does feel like peak TheFretboard. 

Not generally a massive fan of soup. I have enough problems not consuming too many calories without adding to them in liquid form. A bowl of tomato sauce is a drink to me, it’s not food. 
    I like the soup noodle dishes at Cafe Soya in Birmingham (other Chinese restaurants may be available) but that’s really noodles and veg,etc, swimming in broth so I’m not even sure that counts. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7264
    I used to like Baxters soups because they were just that bit better than other canned soup, but they became no better or worse than most of the supermarket soup, some of which is nice.  I now prefer Cross and Blackwell canned soup because it is much nicer than any others I've tasted.  I love really thick pure mushroom soup.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited March 25
    merlin said:
    Is this the resurrection of the "stew" thread?
    I hope not, but stew is essentially soup, made from roast dinner washing up water.

I retire at the end of this year and plan to get into making some home made soups when I no longer have to do this tedious work thing.

• revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    I went through an Ainsley Harriott soup-in-a-cup phase until I realised that they're essentially made from a variety of sugar chemicals with some flavouring.  If you add all the sugars together you realise you're eating something very far removed from home-made soup.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Jono111 said:
    it can be high in salt though and thats not counting all the salt in the bread that goes with it
    I mostly have my home made bread which is quite low in salt. If you remove all salt from bread it effects the fermentation as well as the flavour and you end up with a tasteless lump. Companies like Hovis have to manipulate the bread making process to get extra salt in to get the flavour that their customers want. Decent bread is pretty low in salt. 
    [I am waiting for a phone call so until it comes there may well be more of this pointless gibberish] 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1428
    We make a "empty the veg cupboard and fridge" soup.

Everything from onons,celery, carrots, left over mashed potato's, leek, usually a chicken thigh, broth mix, handful of lentils.

There's been smoked sausage, ham, bacon. 

Soups a great way to use leftovers.

We make stock from all the veg trimmings when cooking. You can really boil it right down and it becomes far more concentrated. When sainsbury do chicken deals, we buy a few at a time, trim them down to component level and roast the carcuses and then make chicken stock.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    edited March 25
    I thought I liked soup until I ran out of bread, then I realised I just like bread and butter dipped in sauce.

(stollen from a comedian that I can't remember)