Isnt soup amazing stuff?

What's Hot

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3010
    edited March 25
    Please try Solyanka soup. Easy to make and will cost a fraction of buying soups from a supermarket (which are ridiculously overpriced).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I had soup for lunch today 
    Won Ton and Noodle soup with some Char Siu sliced into it .
    Perfect.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Mrs JayGee has been cooking up home made soups for lunch once a week for a while now, and yeah, it’s lovely. Especially when I remember to crank the bread maker up on the timer the night before so we’ve got fresh-that-morning bread to go with it…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Dominic said:
    I had soup for lunch today 
    Won Ton and Noodle soup with some Char Siu sliced into it .
    Perfect.
    We wouldn’t call that soup, we’d just call that wonton noodles lol.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    I'm a big fan of soup.

I like quite a variety, from some Heinz and Baxters basic things to those posh Tetrapack soups that cost about as much as a bottle of whisky.

My favourites are

Heinz Big soups (most of them) - I like them chunky!
    Baxters Cullen Skink
    French Onion
    Cream of Asparagus 
    Cream of Mushroom
    Tomato and Basil

And lots of the ones that the New Covent Garden Soup Company make. Some really nice stuff there - apart from their Lentil & Smoked Bacon. That's horrible. They used to do a Chorizo and Potato one that was excellent but it's been discontinued.
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 369
    Another soup lover here, my personal best home cooked ones are leek and potato and a very nice mildy curry spiced butternut squash one. Both also best served with ^ a cheese sarnie.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1842
    I like homemade soup. Sometimes with a sandwich.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16691

I do at least 1 soup a week, 2 when trying to lose weight.

It's hard to beat a home made Broccoli and Stilton, a little horseradish gives a nice lift.

This weeks is a Mexican lime soup with chicken, avocado and fried tortilla strips

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9722
    My main problem with British style soups is that in order to make the tasty ones filling enough, I tend to need half a loaf of bread with them which kind of defeats the object. Plus in order to dunk a load of bread in them, I have to make or buy the bread which will invariably result in me then eating all of it before the day's done if it's a good loaf, because I've very low will power and enjoy the dopamine rush of stuffing my face until i feel sick :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Shrews said:
    Please try Solyanka soup. Easy to make and will cost a fraction of buying soups from a supermarket (which are ridiculously overpriced).

That looks really nice but no pickles in mine. That just doesn't compute to my mind...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    I am now really wanting some soup for dinner.

I'll have to see what I've got in the cupboard. Despite my love of it, I have never made soup before.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    I make some two or three times a week… as long as there is onion, carrot, celery and assorted cheeses, beans around, they are so easy to make.   Crusty bread and a nice home made soup…. Peasant food is the best.
    We don’t make soup as often as that, for the simple reason that we make soup in batches, and freeze in two person portions. Today’s veg and lentil made ten portions.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
  • Jono111Jono111 Frets: 221
    Jono111 said:
    it can be high in salt though and thats not counting all the salt in the bread that goes with it
    I mostly have my home made bread which is quite low in salt. If you remove all salt from bread it effects the fermentation as well as the flavour and you end up with a tasteless lump. Companies like Hovis have to manipulate the bread making process to get extra salt in to get the flavour that their customers want. Decent bread is pretty low in salt. 
    [I am waiting for a phone call so until it comes there may well be more of this pointless gibberish] 
    I made salt free bread for some time, using herbs instead. It was very nice but even with the bread maker doing all the work I eventually stopped bothering. I then stupidly sold the bread maker cheaply on Facebook.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    Jono111 said:
    Jono111 said:
    it can be high in salt though and thats not counting all the salt in the bread that goes with it
    I mostly have my home made bread which is quite low in salt. If you remove all salt from bread it effects the fermentation as well as the flavour and you end up with a tasteless lump. Companies like Hovis have to manipulate the bread making process to get extra salt in to get the flavour that their customers want. Decent bread is pretty low in salt. 
    [I am waiting for a phone call so until it comes there may well be more of this pointless gibberish] 
    I made salt free bread for some time, using herbs instead. It was very nice but even with the bread maker doing all the work I eventually stopped bothering. I then stupidly sold the bread maker cheaply on Facebook.
    There are salt free breads but they tend to be more cakey. Tuscan bread is the well known one, apparently tourists are often quite disturbed by the absence of flavour but it's meant to be dipped in things. If you follow a conventional bread recipe but omit the salt it does seem to end badly so did you have to do something different to make it work? 
    At the moment I probably make two loaves per week. Mostly me that eats it but I usually have toast for breakfast. I made a small wholemeal air fryer loaf this week. Very quick and simple but your jaws need to be in good working order. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    Croutons. Its bread already in the soup, thats a brilliant idea.

When I am feeling naughty I throw a couple of chopped chillies into some Heinz Big soup, it lifts it to a whole new level.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    This is going to gross you out but I get a tin of soup (mushroom, minestrone, whatever) and I empty into it a tin of tuna and a tin of sweetcorn, and I grate some cheese into it, then I heat it up, and then when it's ready I make some toast and tear that up into it, then I pour it into a massive bowl and go and eat it while listening to Mahler records. I just love that.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    I was OK up until the Mahler. You want Brahms for soup.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18801
    Brahm's & Liszt is better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom