Be careful - Birds Eye Fish Fingers....

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16691
    A simple fish finger sandwich is an amazing thing.  Ordinary sliced white bread, butter, fish fingers, sauce of choice, salt and pepper.   

I can be a proper food snob sometimes, but I don't want the fish finger sandwich messed with at all.  If you wanna be slightly fancy with it, fry the fish fingers in butter... that is as far as I am willing to push it.

I don't mind what type of white fish, as long as it's recognizable as fish fillet and not minced up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    I'm gonna stick with a Lobster Roll in buttered brioche
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1229
    Salad cream in a fish finger sandwich is the real jesus of sandwiches. Can easy do 2 boxes and half a bottle in a couple of baps in one sitting. Highus recommendadus
    Dont worry, be silly.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7264
    Dominic said:
    I'm gonna stick with a Lobster Roll in buttered brioche
    Trust you to raise the tone of this thread  ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    A simple fish finger sandwich is an amazing thing.  Ordinary sliced white bread, butter, fish fingers, sauce of choice, salt and pepper.   

I can be a proper food snob sometimes, but I don't want the fish finger sandwich messed with at all.  If you wanna be slightly fancy with it, fry the fish fingers in butter... that is as far as I am willing to push it.

I don't mind what type of white fish, as long as it's recognizable as fish fillet and not minced up
    Agree - A local cafe offers a FF sandwich but far to 'arty farty' for me - I asked if I can just have the bread and fish fingers + brown sauce - They said no - Agree - Keep it simple 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    A man of simple taste ^^
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11771
    edited March 28
    Crayfish, anyone?  The river running through our village (and others in the vicinity) is stuffed full of the invasive Amrican species so plenty of people catch them (I think you need a licence).

They're utterly delicious, and I bet they'd be enhanced with a super-light batter.  My mouth is watering...
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    Kurtis said:
    A man of simple taste ^^
    When it comes to fish finger sandwich and indeed a bacon butty then yes - A truck stop cafe approach to both is better than an arty farty celebrity chef cook option - We can appreciate fine dining as/when required - But sometimes simple is best 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    DannyP said:
    Basa is 'orrible though. It has that geosmin taste  :s
    That's an anagram of 'so minge'!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    winding back to the unsavoury-ness of Cod ... they're also vile scavengers/bottom feeders, and their flesh is often infested with parasitic nematodes known as Cod Worms - you can see the fibres when you pull apart cooked flesh (they're apparently harmless if cooked properly). Never touch the stuff personally.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • PjonPjon Frets: 313
    elstoof said:
    robgilmo said:
    Basa is farm reared isnt it?I doubt they are from some river in Asia somewhere.
    They’ll still be from some river, just kept in a cage in said river to swim around in their own shit, disease and decay
    Almost all of the fish we buy is farmed, so the only difference between basa and salmon, let's say, is the location of the farm. Is it better to be farming fish in a river, or in a lake, or in our own massively polluted estuaries? They all swim around in their own shit, surrounded by parasites and pollution, and causing yet more pollution and problems in the surrounding water.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10279

A pub local to me used to do a fish finger pizza. Not a fan myself, but a fish finger sandwich with plenty of proper butter and lashings of salt and vinegar is the food of kings.

We very occasionally have what we call a 'chavvy tea'. Fish fingers, potato waffles and beans smothered in tommy k. Top scran.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    Kurtis said:
    A man of simple taste ^^
    When it comes to fish finger sandwich and indeed a bacon butty then yes - A truck stop cafe approach to both is better than an arty farty celebrity chef cook option - We can appreciate fine dining as/when required - But sometimes simple is best 
    Sorry, totally agree, it was aimed at the lobster roll. 
    amazingly a Lobster roll is quite a New England staple and cheaper in the Boston area than a Fish Finger sandwich at a pub in the UK
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    I think I read that the best lobster is the cheapest - it's the stuff with the thin shell that can't be air-freighted, so is eaten locally. From what I remember it has much more flavour too.

My view on fish finger sammiches is broadly aligned with Wez's. I wouldn't have the butter, but a bit of salt and pepper, ketchup and mayonnaise (not mixed together) is my preference. Or tartare sauce if I'm feeling bougie, which happens less often than the casual observer might expect.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Pjon said:
    elstoof said:
    robgilmo said:
    They’ll still be from some river, just kept in a cage in said river to swim around in their own shit, disease and decay
    Almost all of the fish we buy is farmed, so the only difference between basa and salmon, let's say, is the location of the farm. Is it better to be farming fish in a river, or in a lake, or in our own massively polluted estuaries? They all swim around in their own shit, surrounded by parasites and pollution, and causing yet more pollution and problems in the surrounding water.
    This is true of all farmed fish - but the biggest consumer hazard is chemical and hormonal ;
    Farmed fish ,especially Salmon and Trout are riddled with Lice ....which are treated with chemicals in the water .
    Rapid growth of the fish to maximise profit is assisted by feeding hormonal additive ....to the extent that farmed fish especially salmon are asexual and non-reproductive .........ultimately we eat that .
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7264
    Dominic said:
     ....to the extent that farmed fish especially salmon are asexual and non-reproductive .........ultimately we eat that .
    Sounds like you met my ex  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24331
    Dominic said:
    Pjon said:
    elstoof said:
    robgilmo said:
    This is true of all farmed fish - but the biggest consumer hazard is chemical and hormonal ;
    Farmed fish ,especially Salmon and Trout are riddled with Lice ....which are treated with chemicals in the water .
    Rapid growth of the fish to maximise profit is assisted by feeding hormonal additive ....to the extent that farmed fish especially salmon are asexual and non-reproductive .........ultimately we eat that .
    Which is exactly why Basa / Panga / River Cobbler / Madeupname dominates the cheap end of the fish market.  It has a phenomenal growth rate, creating more profit.  What's worse is where it's farmed has some of the most polluted rivers.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18801
    BillDL said:
    Dominic said:
     ....to the extent that farmed fish especially salmon are asexual and non-reproductive .........ultimately we eat that .
    Sounds like you met my ex  ;)

Did she have a trout pout too?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom