Baltimore Bridge Collapse

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
edited March 26 in Off Topic tFB Trader
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14273
    tFB Trader
    Early reports of no casualties - Hard to believe that will be the case, but hope it is 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Looks as though the bridge was closed and it was team  of workers on the bridge at the time 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16691
    A Baltimore City Fire Department spokesperson has confirmed that the Baltimore bridge collapse is a "mass casualty event".
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28348
    I look forward to the forum demonstrating that seapersonship, civil engineering, and maritime law are among every member's areas of expertise. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2242
    They need to contact callaham as they make the best bridges.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6497
    Sporky said:
    I look forward to the forum demonstrating that seapersonship, civil engineering, and maritime law are among every member's areas of expertise. 
    No need; it’s clearly been faked as a false flag to stir up unrest. The only thing that touched that bridge is Photoshop.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12351
    Awful disaster. I wonder if it was expected that the whole thing would collapse in this kind of event? 

"OUR TOSSPOT"
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    Quote from the Beeb - Hardly a technical analysis 

We've just been hearing from Ian Firth, a structural engineer and bridge designer.

He says a heavy ship like the Dali will impart a very large load of many thousands of tonnes when it hits something solid, such as a bridge support.

"The support is a very, relatively, flimsy structure when you look at it, it's a kind of trestle structure with individual legs", he says. "So, the bridge has collapsed simply as a result of this very large impact force."

The vessel should have been going, of course, down the centre of the channel some 350 metres (1,150ft) wide, Firth says, "but for whatever reason it must have strayed off and has hit the support".

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72390
    Awful disaster. I wonder if it was expected that the whole thing would collapse in this kind of event? 
    It’s inevitable - a structure like that is quite finely balanced, if you take away part of it the whole thing comes down.

Looking at photos of it before the collapse it seems remarkable that there was no protection for the piers given that it crosses a major shipping lane.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3693
    So Emp finally finished his drone boat?
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15962

Awful to watch and reminiscent of Hindenburg. Poor souls

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24319
    ICBM said:
    It’s inevitable - a structure like that is quite finely balanced, if you take away part of it the whole thing comes down.

Looking at photos of it before the collapse it seems remarkable that there was no protection for the piers given that it crosses a major shipping lane.
    Yup. It’s designed to be very strong in particular directions and not others as that would cost far too much more.

But the lack of protection for the base is odd. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15490
    I'm no expert, but it seems damn folly to build such a delicate structure all the way out over the water where big ships pass all the time. Much more sensible, IMO, to build it inland well away from all them obvious dangers. This whole thing was an accident waiting to happen, completely needless loss of lives!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Vote Vim - sensible policies for a happy Britain
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11770
    I'm willing to bet that someone, somewhere is already busy drafting a film script.  Jeff Bridges will play Baltimore's fire chief.

Sorry.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    In the video of the collapse it looks like there were construction workers and their vehicles on the bridge at the time of the collapse, you can see the yellow lights of the vehicles as it collapses.

That must have been horrific for those poor souls.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27578
    said:

A spokesperson for the US Coast Guard told reporters that their primary mission right now is to look "for any survivors in the water".

They have deployed three small boats on the scene, an 87-ft patrol boat, as well as helicopters.

Wiedefeld said there are no confirmed fatalities at this time and also stressed that it is too early in the investigation to know exactly what caused the collapse.

Just a wild guess, but maybe that ship was involved somehow??

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I dare say a logistical nightmare now, for all future deliveries, certainly for a while - Even diverting cargo ships to another east coast port doesn't mean they can handle the extra work load, plus have appropriate storage etc

Then goods already either on the harbour side/storage waiting to be loaded/shipped, plus other cargo ships, now 'trapped' and ready to leave 

Believe Baltimore is one of the largest commercial ports on the east coast 

Then how do the unions arrange payment to Baltimore workers with 'nothing' to do 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2439
    edited March 26
    Early reports of no casualties - Hard to believe that will be the case, but hope it is 
    Current reports are the 7 people working on the bridge at the time of collapse are missing. Given that people can't generally breathe underwater I'd say the wording will be updated shortly to reflect the reality of the situation.

A less comedic title for the thread might be in good taste too
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    Whatever insurance company for that boat has...it's going to take a might big hit.