Baltimore Bridge Collapse

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14280
    tFB Trader
    strtdv said:
    Early reports of no casualties - Hard to believe that will be the case, but hope it is 
    Current reports are the 7 people working on the bridge at the time of collapse are missing. Given that people can't generally breathe underwater I'd say the wording will be updated shortly to reflect the reality of the situation.

A less comedic title for the thread might be in good taste too
    Point taken - It was posted around 7am, when we knew little about it and of course still night/dark in the USA
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I dare say a logistical nightmare now, for all future deliveries, certainly for a while - Even diverting cargo ships to another east coast port doesn't mean they can handle the extra work load, plus have appropriate storage etc

Then goods already either on the harbour side/storage waiting to be loaded/shipped, plus other cargo ships, now 'trapped' and ready to leave 

Believe Baltimore is one of the largest commercial ports on the east coast 

Then how do the unions arrange payment to Baltimore workers with 'nothing' to do 
    Its collapse blocks the only entrance route to the port of Baltimore, which is the only port on a 300-mile stretch of coast capable of handling full-size container ships (the whole stretch between Norfolk/Hampton Roads and NY/NJ).

Baltimore is the main import port for DC and Philly (plus itself and the areas between them) so we are talking roughly 20 million people in its catchment area and the largest port in the entire US for auto imports. It’s a serious problem, independent of the loss of life.

Looks as though the the boat had a complete power failure and was essentially drifting uncontrollably. Nothing to do with a navigation error.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3027
    Another major node of the global supply chain taken out of action.  I’m really not a conspiracy theorist but with the problems with both the red sea and Panama Canal at the moment, having this happen now does make the imagination head in a pretty dark direction.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited March 26 tFB Trader
    I dare say a logistical nightmare now, for all future deliveries, certainly for a while - Even diverting cargo ships to another east coast port doesn't mean they can handle the extra work load, plus have appropriate storage etc

Then goods already either on the harbour side/storage waiting to be loaded/shipped, plus other cargo ships, now 'trapped' and ready to leave 

Then how do the unions arrange payment to Baltimore workers with 'nothing' to do 
    Its collapse blocks the only entrance route to the port of Baltimore, which is the only port on a 300-mile stretch of coast capable of handling full-size container ships (the whole stretch between Norfolk/Hampton Roads and NY/NJ).

Baltimore is the main import port for DC and Philly (plus itself and the areas between them) so we are talking roughly 20 million people in its catchment area and the largest port in the entire US for auto imports. It’s a serious problem, independent of the loss of life.

Looks as though the the boat had a complete power failure and was essentially drifting uncontrollably. Nothing to do with a navigation error.

two things spring to mind when you watch that - a) how many cars are going over just a few seconds before, yet just about none at the point of collapse (thankfully) - I ended just watching the vehicles on the bridge hoping they'd be past - willing that last car at 41 sec's into the clip to put their foot down hard (I bet they have a story to tell, without probably realising what was about to happen next)  b) who the hell has a phone taking a video clip of a boat, just in case one day, this is the boat that hits the bridge - Ten's of thousands never touched the bridge supports 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I dare say a logistical nightmare now, for all future deliveries, certainly for a while - Even diverting cargo ships to another east coast port doesn't mean they can handle the extra work load, plus have appropriate storage etc

two things spring to mind when you watch that - a) how many cars are going over just a few seconds before, yet just about none at the point of collapse (thankfully) - I ended just watching the vehicles on the bridge hoping they'd be past - willing that last car at 41 sec's into the clip to put their foot down hard (I bet they have a story to tell, without probably realising what was about to happen next)  b) who the hell has a phone taking a video clip of a boat, just in case one day, this is the boat that hits the bridge - Ten's of thousands never touched the bridge supports 
    It's implied by one of the local officials interviews that although there wasn't much time, the SOS from the ship triggered the closure of the bridge to traffic and that reduced the numbers of vehicles crossing.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I dare say a logistical nightmare now, for all future deliveries, certainly for a while - Even diverting cargo ships to another east coast port doesn't mean they can handle the extra work load, plus have appropriate storage etc

looks like a fixed camera - may cctv or something?

tFB Trader
    Reverend said:c

looks like a fixed camera - may cctv or something?

Clever thinking - Never thought of that option 
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    TTony said:
    said:

A spokesperson for the US Coast Guard told reporters that their primary mission right now is to look "for any survivors in the water".

They have deployed three small boats on the scene, an 87-ft patrol boat, as well as helicopters.

Wiedefeld said there are no confirmed fatalities at this time and also stressed that it is too early in the investigation to know exactly what caused the collapse.

Just a wild guess, but maybe that ship was involved somehow??

Another oddity is that the BBC reported the Maryland Transportation Secretary as saying that engineers were on site determining the structural impact of the collapse. 

Well, the bridge is lying in the river. Pretty clear what the structural impact was.

Of course, perhaps he was misquoted or badly paraphrased. I'm aware that the situation is not funny and will have serious consequences for the people of Baltimore, but the report seems to me a bit Goonish.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28350
    edited March 26
    pigface said:
    Another oddity is that the BBC reported the Maryland Transportation Secretary as saying that engineers were on site determining the structural impact of the collapse. 

Well, the bridge is lying in the river. Pretty clear what the structural impact was.
    Perhaps they were assessing the bridge's foundations, to see how major an undertaking it'll be to replace it.

Of course, it's entirely possible that they're inept morons, and the much smarter and more knowledgeable guitarists here have seen straight through their idiocy. I bet most qualified structural engineers wouldn't have noticed that the bridge has fallen over. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fingers657Fingers657 Frets: 657
    edited March 26
    The whole of the USA road motorway / freeway and bridge infrastructure has been failing and had no money spent on it for decades.
    Nothing gets repaired until a bridge or fly over collapses .
    It’s an awful state to be in in a country that needs cars .
    All we have to moan about in the UK is pot holes on our roads.
    I blame those on Donald Trump & Putin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5638
    Been out all day and just turned on the news to see this.  Wow!  Just wow!  Just the way it collapsed like a house of cards!

Gobsmacked that nobody did a risk assessment on what might happen if a ship hit one of the support piers!  Even more gobsmacked that there was no protection to prevent a ship hitting one of the support piers!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    I hadn't seen the news today. I feel quite bad that my first thought was 'well that's a new band name for Drew.' 
    Says six people missing. That can't be good. The level of damage is huge. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 662
    Tbf you ain't going to stop one of those bad boys, fully laden, very easily. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11780
    I hadn't seen the news today. I feel quite bad that my first thought was 'well that's a new band name for Drew.' 

You're on the money.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3477
    My guess is that it is all heavily monitored, the ship itself would have notified the bridge of the impending collision, this ships dont move too fast so they would have seen it coming, when a ship that size hit something, it will take most of that something with it, they dont just stop and bounce on the fenders.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    Sporky said:
    pigface said:

Perhaps they were assessing the bridge's foundations, to see how major an undertaking it'll be to replace it.

Of course, it's entirely possible that they're inept morons, and the much smarter and more knowledgeable guitarists here have seen straight through their idiocy. I bet most qualified structural engineers wouldn't have noticed that the bridge has fallen over. 
    Perhaps you missed the third part of my post.
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    The BBC literally published this nonsense tbf

• elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    The push for ever faster reporting leads to more and more drivel being placed in front of us
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11780
    As mentioned in other threads, the standards of the BBC's journalism these days are snake's-arse low.  Absolute fucking drivel.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4990
    Francis Scott Key wrote The Star Spangled Banner; ergo it was a hit job by anti patriotic, New World Order, Biden sponsored Islamo-Atheist tarot-fied conspiracists!

Hit like and subscribe ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...