Would you rather be a great player or famous?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1992
    The only way I could make money out of playing guitar is to charge people to make it stop.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2575
    Im already famous enough, give me the stuff that Vai got from Old Scratch in Crossroads 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 672
    Who are the guitarists who are famous but not great? Every one we might name would have supporters. A guitarist does not need to be good to be great in the eyes of his fans.
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    At this stage of my life I'd take either..... ;)
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6590
    Assuming that being a great player meant that I could still be out and about playing live, I’d rather be a great player than a below-average-but-famous one.

Playing guitar, when it goes well, I mean…it’s like having magic in your fingers*, isn’t it? 

*or in your tonewood/ pickups/ thin-gauge strings/ fat-gauge strings/ choice of plectrum/ valve amp…etc

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7713
    Here's what I would love to be skilled and versatile enough to do. Not playing directly to an audience, but acknowledged by those in the know.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 817
    edited March 30
    I think I'm happy enough playing guitar for my own enjoyment. If I had to do it to pay the bills it would possibly lose much of its appeal. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24843
    I’d prefer to be an unknown virtuoso.

I hear so many things I’d love to be able to play just for my own pleasure.

Unknown virtuosos can also get jobs doing the anonymous music roles. Orchestra pits, backing band on The Voice, The guys under the stage at a dancing pop star gig.

That would be cool.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1604
    Reckon there is another very common category -

Mediocre players who are lucky enough to hook up with the talent. Guaranteed anonymity and tons of fun if you want it, plus the chance to learn and develop.

High stakes of eventually being sacked though…
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    Oh famous. Fuck being any good. I want to have some fun. If that means bitter musos on forums hate me, then I don't care.

I'll be dating supermodels and drinking champagne on my yacht while sad old wankers are moaning about me and probably Rob Chapman.

I want to make a Song Remains the Same type movie, walk the red carpet at the oscars, and play the Superbowl half time show.

And if I'm still a crap guitarist? I'm already one now. So everything else is a bonus. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27692
    edited March 31
    I just wanted to entertain people ... I don't actually think you have to be 'brilliant' to that ... just know what will get folk's motors running. 
    This is the reason I'm about to go out live again after quite a few years, the addiction to folks jumping up and down, or dancing or just shouting or singing along is the best drug in the world. 

Bingo.

I'd far rather play massive shows to thousands of people having the time of their lives than be considered academically excellent by nerds on forums
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    It's not even like much of that most popular music in the world requires virtuosity anyway.

...sad old wankers... 
    Say what you mean mate  =)
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    Rich. That is what I would prefer to famous or a great guitar player. Every day of the week. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited March 31
    You know, I think I generally have more respect for the guys that can make good music without any great technical ability.

Virtuosos generally come across as tosspots  =)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Neither.
    I aspire to be mediocre and unrecognised. 

I qualify for a bus pass. So, I make that forty five years of unqualified success. :grin: 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1554
    edited March 31
    d like to be successful without being famous. Regrettably, they seem to go hand in hand.
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• dariusdarius Frets: 670
    Do I get to play Wembley Stadium 7 sold out nights in a row?
    if yes then B. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 356
    edited April 1
    darthed1981 said:
    • If I was rich and famous, I'd hire someone to keep sending flowers and gifts to Dua Lipa until she decided she wanted a rich and famous, lousy musician, great songwriter boyfriend.
    Rich and famous with a restraining order would be quite an interesting situation to be in  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • G4peiG4pei Frets: 7
    At the age of 12, using a tennis racket as a guitar I’d have given anything to be a famous rock guitarist. Now in my 60’s and still wrestling with several real and expensive guitars I’d much rather be great player!