Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone in fingers

What's Hot
Here we go again...

Here, John Mayer is almost done playing Gravity, when he spots a fan at the front with a guitar, so he grabs it, plugs in and finishes the solo with the second guitar. It sounds basically identical, and yet there's still a comment war whether the tone is in Mayer's fingers, playing and phrasing, or just because he has posh amps...

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It shows that 2 similar guitars played, seconds apart, by the same musician will sound very similar to each other (apart from the out-of-tuneness) when played through the same rig. :D

I only wonder why Mayer didn't swing his guitar on his back when he grabbed the other one. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • P.S: tone is in everything. :)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4347

Take 3 players and get them to play the same acoustic guitar and they will get (perhaps slightly, perhaps very) different tones. I see this all the time in bluegrass and old time picking sessions. So in principle tone certainly CAN be in the fingers (or more accurately in the technique and physical interface between player and instrument...it's more than just the fingers), but when you have a signal chain at play, how much real world difference that can make is a different matter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29051
    I think, again, that part of the issue with this perennial discussion is that "tone" is used to mean many different things. Partly it's timbre, and partly it's phrasing and the like.

In the example it looks like he plays two Strats though the same signal chain so it shouldn't be any surprise that the sound is much the same. After all, to some extent all guitars sound similar (ie they don't sound like a pipe organ or a tambourine).
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If tone is in the actual finger then why do so many bands spend so much time trying to sound like Sabbath?
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They can't find the right prosthetics. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    I think, again, that part of the issue with this perennial discussion is that "tone" is used to mean many different things. Partly it's timbre, and partly it's phrasing and the like.

In the example it looks like he plays two Strats though the same signal chain so it shouldn't be any surprise that the sound is much the same. After all, to some extent all guitars sound similar (ie they don't sound like a pipe organ or a tambourine).
    "It sounds like a guitar" to coin a phrase :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12704
    A good guitarist can make *any* guitar sound good. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

"It sounds like a guitar" to coin a phrase :)
    :D

Exactly! An LP and a Strat and [insert third guitar] do sound different to me, but they sound like different guitars. They are more alike than they are different.
  • impmann said:
    A good guitarist can make *any* guitar sound good. 
    But may struggle in the process. :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    edited September 2013
    Sporky said:

Agreed.

Personally I separate it into player tone and gear tone (and even that's probably an oversimplification).

The other thing is, some things are only really apparent to the player- for example, I might struggle more to play something on one guitar than on another, but unless I'm struggling so bad that I can't play it, the audience won't notice that I need to lie down :)) EDIT: ^ ninja'd :)
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    they both sounded naff :-p
  • Lew said:
    they both sounded naff :-p
    Definitely not his best. :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33904
    Everything matters - there is a lot going on in a Mayer guitar tone but also it is the song, the arrangement, the musicians he's playing with.
  • ... and the quiff of course.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    call me a cynic,  but I think its completely staged.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I can (and do) argue both sides of this argument (and there may be more than 2 sides)  depending on what mood I am in today (and I bet I am not the only one).
    Sporky's points are compelling. If we take 100 guitars and line them up on a tone spectrum (by ear) we all know that the MasterBuilt Custom Shop Strat will be occupying the  same space as the Squire Stratocaster. But that does not mean that a pickup change in a Les Paul is pointless even if they both low output PAF types. The differences may only be noticable at certain amp settings, at particular sweet spots, with particular playing techniques. In other words they would only be noticed by the player who would need to be an Obsessive who is Concentrating.

I am an Obsessive. And I am Concentrating.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72954
    At the end of the day there are only two electric guitar sounds, clean and distorted.

This statement is both as valid and as invalid as tone being in the fingers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    Meanwhile in Buenos Aires ..... an ex John "fingers" Mayer fan says ..... "Ese bastardo mayer blagged mi guitarra!"  :|
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Skipped said:
    But that does not mean that a pickup change in a Les Paul is pointless even if they both low output PAF types.
    Indeed. But it'll sound, before and after, like an electric guitar. Not a bassoon or a timpani or an elephant.