Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone in fingers

What's Hot

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I can make my guitar sound like an elephant.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29134
    You're welcome.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17877
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    Herman Li seems to get some fairly un guitar sounds with his fingers :D

Elephant at 1:44

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My elephant plays guitar.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My elephant stepped on my foot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Herman Li was on a kids program on CBBC a few days ago showing off his widdling sex face to innocent children - mine haven't slept since.

Just in case anyone thinks this is just a sick joke -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/diaries/how-to-be-epic-at-music

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11112
    tFB Trader
    There are definitely some guitars I struggle to sound like me on. I have a very heavy and percussive right hand picking technique ... often digging in so deep that I mash my index finger tip and rip the nail even though I'm using a pick. Strats set up with no neck shim ... and hence no room under the strings are tough for me ... all my bolt on neck guitars are shimmed to get me extra clearance. However I have a really light left hand touch and like a really low action and light (ish) strings. This all means if I'm not on a guitar with 'light tops/heavy bottoms' quite tall fretting ... and strings fairly high over the body I start making compromises with technique. If I was a better guitarist I could probably seamlessly compensate ... but like many who are not rock gods, I accept my awkward fallibility, grab a Tele and rock out ;)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    There are definitely some guitars I struggle to sound like me on. I have a very heavy and percussive right hand picking technique ... often digging in so deep that I mash my index finger tip and rip the nail even though I'm using a pick. Strats set up with no neck shim ... and hence no room under the strings are tough for me ... all my bolt on neck guitars are shimmed to get me extra clearance. However I have a really light left hand touch and like a really low action and light (ish) strings. This all means if I'm not on a guitar with 'light tops/heavy bottoms' quite tall fretting ... and strings fairly high over the body I start making compromises with technique. If I was a better guitarist I could probably seamlessly compensate ... but like many who are not rock gods, I accept my awkward fallibility, grab a Tele and rock out ;)

lol... and I thought Teles were supposed to be the guitars that are "unforgiving" and "sort the men from the boys" :).

(I completely agree with you, I think Teles are probably the easiest guitars to play and sound good on - I have a similarly poor technique, although I'm the opposite in many ways - I don't use a pick so I tend not to 'dig in' - although I do hit the strings very hard, but softly if you see what I mean - and with my left hand, I squeeze too hard and need heavier strings and a higher action, and I prefer guitars with a flat neck and I don't like high frets.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1696
    edited September 2013

Herman Li was on a kids program on CBBC a few days ago showing off his widdling sex face to innocent children - mine haven't slept since.

I was also on CBBC playing guitar (a 12-string Rik copy I bought off of ZenOvertone on the old place). Do I win a prize?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbbc/episode/b038bm56/Marrying_Mum_and_Dad_Series_2_1960s/

EDIT: skip to 26mins to see us playing!

• DannyP said:

Herman Li was on a kids program on CBBC a few days ago showing off his widdling sex face to innocent children - mine haven't slept since.

I was also on CBBC playing guitar (a 12-string Rik copy I bought off of ZenOvertone on the old place). Do I win a prize?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/cbbc/episode/b038bm56/Marrying_Mum_and_Dad_Series_2_1960s/

EDIT: skip to 26mins to see us playing!

Is a child's happiness not prize enough?
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    I'm hoping that blindfold is the precursor to his execution.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390

A minor? A5 surely? :))

Nice work CBBC >:D<
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 370
    edited September 2013
    I read somewhere one of the Trainwreck amps guy's columns where he was arguing that the amp plays a bigger role in the tone than the gtr. meaning that 2 gtrs could sound very similar or good enough through the same amp (same player) compared to plugging the same gtr to different amps. I think he was commenting on the Holy Grail 59 LP + JTM combo and EC's tone with the blues breakers. I'd imagine that the feel of each gtr would be what makes a difference but that's only for the player to assess.. Now, I'm always intrigued by the fact that I don't hear much SC pup hum when these guys rock their strats.. Specially old strats..
    Anyway.. nice vid.

Brgrds,
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578

you're right,  he is a sick joke  (is he for real ?)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Catthan said:
    I read somewhere one of the Trainwreck amps guy's columns where he was arguing that the amp plays a bigger role in the tone than the gtr. meaning that 2 gtrs could sound very similar or good enough through the same amp (same player) compared to plugging the same gtr to different amps.
    This is also one of those things that's both true and not true. Obviously, you won't make a Fender Twin sound like a Dual Rectifier with any guitar - although you can get closer than you might think if you're prepared to risk hearing damage and just crank the thing to the max - but it's amazing how the tone of the guitar can still be heard even through massive amounts of distortion if you actually listen to the *tone* not the sound... I demonstrated this to someone the other day with a Rickenbacker and a Boss Metal Zone pedal - with the gain dimed and the EQ set to "teenage bedroom metal", you could quite clearly still hear the chime of the Rick and it was obviously different from a generic humbucker guitar which I compared it to. They did both sound like a Boss Metal Zone though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_Mc said:
    A minor? A5 surely? :))

Nice work CBBC >:D<
    Precisely!  Mind you, having heard his stuff A5 probably was stretching his chordal knowledge. 
    bertie said:
    you're right,  he is a sick joke  (is he for real ?)
    Luckily my kids have now taken to believing he is too ridiculous to be real and have forgotten him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_C said:

This video really confuses me.  If you want to make a Chappers demo better you don't blindfold him, you gag him. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    No, you replace him with Niall.
  • I learned years ago that I have a lot of treble tone in my hands no matter what guitar I'm playing.  This was from listening back to recordings while playing everything from a steel string acoustic to a solid body bass, by way of Fender and Gibson electrics.  Even a twelve string, especially was over the top with treble.  I avoid using just the bridge pick up and tweak the tone controls accordingly now. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay