Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tone in fingers

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    ICBM said:
    This is also one of those things that's both true and not true. Obviously, you won't make a Fender Twin sound like a Dual Rectifier with any guitar - although you can get closer than you might think if you're prepared to risk hearing damage and just crank the thing to the max - but it's amazing how the tone of the guitar can still be heard even through massive amounts of distortion if you actually listen to the *tone* not the sound... I demonstrated this to someone the other day with a Rickenbacker and a Boss Metal Zone pedal - with the gain dimed and the EQ set to "teenage bedroom metal", you could quite clearly still hear the chime of the Rick and it was obviously different from a generic humbucker guitar which I compared it to. They did both sound like a Boss Metal Zone though ;).
    Agreed.

I think the big problem is there's a fine line between simplifying explanations to make them easier to understand, and oversimplifying.

Also a lot of the "tone is mostly in the amp" thing has possibly arisen because so many guitarists seem to ignore the amp, and it's sort of a backlash against that.
    Dave_Mc said:
    A minor? A5 surely? :))

Nice work CBBC >:D<
    Precisely!  Mind you, having heard his stuff A5 probably was stretching his chordal knowledge. 
    Yeah he does seem to play a lot of lead :)) The bigger problem, though, is how no-one at CBBC checked it before making the video. It's a pretty easy thing to check.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Having read all this I finally got to watch the original Mayer clip. Err, kind of shows not much at all really. :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom