Wasn’t Play School absolutely the best children’s tele program ever Brian Cant for 007

What's Hot
Play school a haven of peace and televisual tranquility ,a safe place after a day with the sociopathic 
  5 & 6 year olds of a Grimsby Infants school , you were transported to a different world  with Brian Cant Chloe or Zoe Ashcroft , Toni Arthur & Derek griffiths , it was BBC programming at its best providing intellectual stimulation  , physical movement , learning & entertainment . I feel sorry for the generations who grew up without it . My grandad would tut if it was on & say “they’re not bloody right” about the presenters  but they could communicate things to younger children without being patronising 
I feel blessed to have had it in my life . Brian Cant ,what a wonderful example of humanity  he would have made an interesting Roger Moore type bond lol .  Afterwards you could look forward to a short cartoon like the Czech made “the mole “  astronut or pixie & Dixie , then Jackanory ,another great favourite & very comforting . John cravens newsround , then blue Peter with John Val Pete & Leslie 
finished off with the magic roundabout .  I also remember romper room  looking through the magic mirror and Doobie doo the puppet  I think it was produced by anglia .playschool was best though .

very very special days 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7898
    I was always more of a Bagpuss man. 

Bagpuss for 007!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9583
    Brian Cant = legend.

I actually preferred ‘Play Away’…

Oh, and also Mister Ben, Bagpuss, Fingerbobs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    Floella Benjamin, Derek Griffiths, Brian Cant….absolute legends.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Floella Benjamin, Derek Griffiths, Brian Cant….absolute legends.
    That's Dame Floella these days. I had no idea that Derek Griffiths had had such a varied acting career too.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    That's Dame Floella these days. I had no idea that Derek Griffiths had had such a varied acting career too.
    On the wiki page for Floella, you'll see a picture of the sculpture of her made by my brother. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floella_Benjamin
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    TheMarlin said:

Bagpuss for 007!!
    Nonsense. Mr Benn is the clear choice, with his square jaw and superior disguise skills.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    I've heard of it - But can't actually recall ever seeing it, even from the days of a younger brother watching kids TV
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6711
    Bagpuss, Clangers, Mr Benn, Magic Roundabout, Pogles Wood, Bill & Ben....

In retrospect, how many of these shows contained narrative that had to have been drug influenced/related?
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3034
    Square window, Arch window, Round window

It had its day but nowadays triangle window lovers would be offended. Of it's time and all that.

As a kid I was always a Trumpton, Chigley, Camberwick Green kid. Also liked Mary, Mungo and Midge but hated Herb Garden. 

In the evenings Rhubarb and Captain Pugwash, never really liked The Wombles although the Clangers was good fun. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    Brian Cant = legend.

Play School was purposely formulaic to engage its target audience of pre-nursery school aged children.

Play Away was several of the Play School presenters cocking about, performing silly jokes and songs, generally having a good laugh. 

Unlikely presenters included a very young Jeremy Irons and Tony Robinson. Singer/guitarist, Lionel Morton, was rumoured to have been chemically enhanced during some recordings. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 798
    Something about Blue Peter just didn't work for me. 

The cartoons were my thing: Top Cat, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Whacky Races. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    I loved Play Away, it seemed quite surreal and a bit anarchic. Brian Cant was brilliant in it and usually looked on the point of cracking up laughing most of the time. I was actually a teenager when it was shown, a group of my schoolmates and me used to watch it religiously… we swore it was actually aimed at adults, not kids. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6506
    merlin said:
    On the wiki page for Floella, you'll see a picture of the sculpture of her made by my brother. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floella_Benjamin
    I’ve heard her discussing the racism she encountered when her family came to this country, and she speaks with such dignity and grace that I wonder if she might just be the nicest person ever.

She is also a very capable Blues/ Jazz singer.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Watch with mother, Bill and Ben.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Paulus the wood gnome, that's something I haven't seen in donkey's years. There was also Hubble Bubble which has barely a mention on the internet these days.

I used to work with an ex-army chap who said that money regularly changed hands between soldiers gambling on Wacky Races.

I leave you with this thought: "it's the wolf, it's the wolf!"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11889
    edited April 25
    Vision On.  Pat Keysell and Tony Hart.  Two lovely people presenting a ground-breaking programme at a time when disability had no real media visibility.  Additionally featured a cast of amusingly oddball characters who did weird shit - The Professor, Wilf Lunn, Sylvester McCoy (yes, that one)... wonderful.

Vision On - Wikipedia
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4191
    TheMarlin said:

Bagpuss for 007!!
    Everything they produced was magical 
    I never really took to play away  it seemed somehow wrong on a Saturday 
      I can’t understand why 
    Brian Cant = legend.

Play School was purposely formulaic to engage its target audience of pre-nursery school aged children.

Play Away was several of the Play School presenters cocking about, performing silly jokes and songs, generally having a good laugh. 

Unlikely presenters included a very young Jeremy Irons and Tony Robinson. Singer/guitarist, Lionel Morton, was rumoured to have been chemically enhanced during some recordings. 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14310
    tFB Trader
    Timcito said:
    Something about Blue Peter just didn't work for me. 

The cartoons were my thing: Top Cat, The Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Whacky Races. 
    Now you're talking - Especially Top Cat 

scrumhalf said:
    Paulus the wood gnome, that's something I haven't seen in donkey's years. There was also Hubble Bubble which has barely a mention on the internet these days.

I used to work with an ex-army chap who said that money regularly changed hands between soldiers gambling on Wacky Races.

I leave you with this thought: "it's the wolf, it's the wolf!"
    Loved it’s the wol ufffffff  lambsy was nuts