Worrying weather changes

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24458
I'm in Cyprus at the mo for my 60th.  I just spent half an hour picking up plastic washed up along the shore - including a used hypodermic syringe.  I was chatting to the sunbed chap who was telling me about how they've had storms bringing in all sorts - including a dead cow (off a cattle ship).  He said they had temperatures recently in Nicosia that they only usually get in July.  He went on to say that they haven't had winter for two years.  He's never seen anything like this before.  He told me of the water shortages because they've had almost no rain in the past two years either and of course all the hotels need huge quantities of 'sweet' (fresh) water and now they are also having to irrigate the crops far more than ever because of the lack of rain.

I went for a swim and usually there are lots of little fish interested in you and what your feet churn up in the sand.....   Nothing....  No sign of any life whatsoever.  Not a single living thing. 

I wonder what the next ten years will bring.
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7250
    Emp with the upmost respect and admiration - Switch that brain off and enjoy your holiday !
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 825
    Emp with the upmost respect and admiration - Switch that brain off and enjoy your holiday !
    +1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10299
    edited May 1
    No winter for two years? Sign me up!!! 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6932
    TLDR - Man from western world who flies off on lots of foreign holidays emitting tonnes of Co2e is worried about climate change while on holiday.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    10reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3623
    We dont really see the effects of global warming here, not to the same extent that other do, its a massive issue for many countries right now.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3623
    Just to add , we will see the effects when there is a mass exodus from these countries, this will displace millions.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10474
    edited May 1
    mrkb said:
    TLDR - Man from western world who flies off on lots of foreign holidays emitting tonnes of Co2e is worried about climate change while on holiday.
    This is also me ... fears for the future but has 2 foreign holidays a year, either by plane or cruise ship. 

I think big climate change is inevitable. No one wants to be inconvenienced now, no matter how dire the consequences are going to be. The world as a whole doesn't want to pull together to save the planet. We would rather let the countries containing the rain forests razor them to the ground and plant oil palm trees,  than give them any money not to. Meanwhile the righteous countries like Norway pretend to care and be green but in reality just pipe their NS gas to countries who can use way more than Norway ever could. 
    Then there's the constant green washing deflection and the miss information about EV's and wind turbines etc spread all over social media by the companies determined to keep selling fossil fuel. 

I reckon we have 20 more good years, then who knows. World W3 probably thought over liveable land regions rather than politics or religion. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12052
    Danny1969 said:
    mrkb said:
    This is also me ... fears for the future but has 2 foreign holidays a year, either by plane or cruise ship. 

I think it's probably most of us.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12052
    Ha ha!  Yeah come on Emp - you're only 60 once.  Worry about climate change (or rather a lack thereof) when you get back to Wales :-)
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 806
    edited May 1
    robgilmo said:
    Just to add , we will see the effects when there is a mass exodus from these countries, this will displace millions.
    Well, if nothing else, Gen Z will finally have a genuine reason to whine!   

I can see an avalanche of mental health days stacking up on the horizon!   o
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24458
    mrkb said:
    Only the third post in!  Well done that man! 
    It was inevitable that someone would have to be the Nelson Muntz.  I think you've grossly overestimated the effect aviation has on global warming.  Apparently it's about 4% in total.  So my 1/200th of a plane trip a few times a year out of the 38.4M flights that take place annually puts my contribution to global warming from flying at roughly 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% in my lifetime.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3781
    So what you’re saying then is that it’s alright for us all to continue flying because our individual impacts are negligible?

Great news, can I go back to driving everywhere instead of cycling or using public transport on the same basis. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6932
    drofluf said:
    So what you’re saying then is that it’s alright for us all to continue flying because our individual impacts are negligible?

Great news, can I go back to driving everywhere instead of cycling or using public transport on the same basis. 
    Yep, f*ck the rest as my contribution doesnt count...its the others that are to be blamed.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NothingOnTheTeleNothingOnTheTele Frets: 531
    Emp_Fab said:
    mrkb said:
    Only the third post in!  Well done that man! 
    It was inevitable that someone would have to be the Nelson Muntz.  I think you've grossly overestimated the effect aviation has on global warming.  Apparently it's about 4% in total.  So my 1/200th of a plane trip a few times a year out of the 38.4M flights that take place annually puts my contribution to global warming from flying at roughly 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% in my lifetime.
    The fact that you could only ever make a miniscule net difference is a poor argument for making no effort at all.

If I threw a Twix wrapper out the car window once a week, it'd only be a tiny fraction of the litter on our roads - so why should I refrain? My income tax forms an infinitesimal percentage of the national budget for public services etc - so why should I pay it?

Climate change will only be tackled through a collective effort. We all have to do our bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5548
    mrkb said:
    Before we decide whether to give your remarks any credence, answer one question:

How many children do you have? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1157
    It’s not even possible for us to have this conversation without having some degree of environmental effect unless we move the conversation to carrier pigeon and hope they don’t fart. Think we can have a conversation without throwing shame at someone for going on holiday.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Not on The Fretboard we can't :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4141
    When we're dead we aren't going to have any inkling of what is happening in the world.

It's a curious trait that some humans crave attention and being hero worshipped by saying they want to "make a difference"  yet the grim reality is, everything anyone ever does is pointless, as we all die soon enough and that's the end of it all for our awareness of what's occurring.

I'm off for another coffee and some biscuits on this groundhog day of existence.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12446
    edited May 1
    robgilmo said:
    We dont really see the effects of global warming here, not to the same extent that other do, its a massive issue for many countries right now.
    We ARE already seeing some effects though. Flooding is getting more regular as we’re getting more rainfall. Average temperatures are slowly climbing. I think the hottest day ever recorded in the U.K. was at Heathrow only a year or two ago? 
    Current predictions are for more wetter and milder winters and hotter, drier summers. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/climate-change/climate-change-in-the-uk
    Look. If it makes you happy, global warming is entirely MY fault.  Me personally and nobody else. 

Now, can we talk about the worrying changes in the weather?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom