Worrying weather changes

What's Hot

Comments

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 802
    robgilmo said:
    Hominems? And WTF is a straw man? I need to google the crap out of this now, I was going to watch star trek but I needs to know!

Everyone should understand the straw man argument since it's the most common annoying response that people make when they hear an opinion which signals the speaker is not 'on their team':
    - I agree with the right to choose.
    - I see. You think it's okay to kill babies. 

- I believe in stricter immigration controls on the southern border.
    - Okay, you hate foreigners.

Sometimes it's willful. The responder purposefully twists a speaker's comment to characterize their opposing viewpoint not just as mistaken, but typically as evil or cruel. At other times, I think it really is plain stupidity - the responder can only see issues in terms of binary opposites with no grey areas in between. Whichever it is, when someone does a straw man, it's a clear sign for me to back out of any further discussion with that person. Nothing good can come of it!     
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15620
    long time ago I read that climate change is basically caused by too many people, it's why I chose a career in healthcare, to help rectify this. I realise and admit it's only a small change, but if we all do a small amount of good it adds up to a large difference. 
    Fun fact, when asked in job interviews why you want to work in healthcare, don't tell them that /\ /\,  they react really weirdly!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27686
    VimFuego said:
    long time ago I read that climate change is basically caused by too many people, it's why I chose a career in healthcare, to help rectify this.

Any chance you could get a transfer to South Wales?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1305
    Emp_Fab said:

I went for a swim and usually there are lots of little fish interested in you and what your feet churn up in the sand.....   Nothing....  No sign of any life whatsoever.  Not a single living thing. 

I wonder what the next ten years will bring.
    On the fish.. You may want to shower in the morning as opposed to in the evening as the smell probably repels the fish. There is a thread on this currently, with a plentiful menu of reasons to morning shower.

Next ten years? State pension, more arse grapes and joint pain are pretty good bets.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    edited May 1
    VimFuego said:
    long time ago I read that climate change is basically caused by too many people, it's why I chose a career in healthcare, to help rectify this. I realise and admit it's only a small change, but if we all do a small amount of good it adds up to a large difference. 
    Fun fact, when asked in job interviews why you want to work in healthcare, don't tell them that /\ /\,  they react really weirdly!!!
    Yes, the best contribution you can make to the climate is to not have kids. Everything else pales into insignificance.

The rate of glacial decline here in ch is scary, most have visibly receded in the 15 years I've been here. Water will become a major issue for Europe very soon if the mild winters and hot summers continue..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 313
    VimFuego said:
    I'm a little perturbed that your choice of a career in healthcare is motivated by a desire to limit overpopulation.

You didn't study under a guy named Shipman by any chance did you? ;)

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 313
    Adey said:
    I love it when someone uses the terms "ad hominem" and "fallacy" on an internet forum. :-)

If only the term "straw man" could be squeezed in too, I'd complete my Internet Forum Argument bingo line!
    Uh-huh-huh-huh.

He said "fallacy".

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    snowblind said:
    VimFuego said:
    I'm a little perturbed that your choice of a career in healthcare is motivated by a desire to limit overpopulation.

You didn't study under a guy named Shipman by any chance did you? ;)

before my time in healthcare I'm afraid, he's more of an... inspiration. 

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    It’s political correctness gone mad, Stu.

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4169
    I wish we could all have a grown up conversation on causes of climate change. 
    Lots of things contribute and it’s not all down to mankind. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    feel free to link to all the peer reviewed literature on the subject. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27686

You mean ... the Martians?

(sssshhhhhh!)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4169
    Couple of things stand out. 
    I think we are harming the oceans and countryside etc with our rubbish, no doubt in my mind we can all do better there. Less plastic, less concrete, building on greenfield sites etc, seeing the effect of this first hand in Sherborne. We have had flooding 3 times in last 4 years since an estate was built at top of town. Sheer amount of water which would have been soaked up by ground now running downhill off of concrete tarmac and driveways. 
    Drainage not adequate in towns built in 1800s, and these towns have grown exponentially without sewers and drains modified ever since. 
    But also the worlds angle has changed, which happens constantly over time, plus orbit has also changed meaning we will have colder winters and hotter summers. 
    In essence there has never been a time without climate change. 
    So the question is how much of the climate changing is down to us or is natural over a long period of time. And I don’t mean a hundred or two hundred years but 10,000 or 20,000 years. 
    Are we doing damage? Undoubtedly, are we the only cause? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5538
    mrkb said:
    Tannin said:
    mrkb said:
    TLDR - Man from western world who flies off on lots of foreign holidays emitting tonnes of Co2e is worried about climate change while on holiday.
    Before we decide whether to give your remarks any credence, answer one question:

How many children do you have? 
    One.
    Whats the "correct answer" - and remember it needs to be an integer ;)
    If you are going to start off a thread by throwing shit at someone for taking a flight, the only correct answer is zero. Of all the things you can do to make climate change worse, having one more child is far, far worse than anything else you will ever do in your entire life.  

But one child is pretty good. You have done your bit. Congratulations! People with three and four and five children who scold other people about flights and ICE cars are unbelievably entitled and stupid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

In essence there has never been a time without climate change. 
    So the question is how much of the climate changing is down to us or is natural over a long period of time. And I don’t mean a hundred or two hundred years but 10,000 or 20,000 years. 
    Are we doing damage? Undoubtedly, are we the only cause? 
    This is quite well understood. Essentially, the natural trend at present (i.e., every influence except humans) if for cooling. The world has experienced a series of ice ages with brief interglacial periods in between them.

So how much of the current global heating trend is human caused? More than 100% of it. Yes, more than 100% because sudden human impacts such as deforestation and fossil fuel use have overpowered the much slower natural trend in the opposite direction. Plucking a number out of the air to provide some very rough sense of scale, call it 101% human causes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 742
    If nobody had babies we wouldn't be in this mess! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24435
    If apes hadn't evolved into humans we wouldn't be in this mess - or at least the planet wouldn't be in this mess.  It's the bloody monkeys fault!!

I wonder if there's any truth in the theory that maybe Mars was once populated, a very long time ago, and they fucked up their environment like we are doing here, and the atmosphere went, the oceans dried up and all life went with it ?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2318
    VimFuego said:
    feel free to link to all the peer reviewed literature on the subject. 
    BINGO!!!!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24435
    edited May 2
    Sporky said:
    At least I'm not one of the thickos who gets ad hominems and insults mixed up! 
    Ah yes, those halfwits who can't correctly interpret a simple Latin phrase!  They do make one merideat sicut asinus! 
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    I stopped learning Latin after I mastered the only phrase I really need: Quantum ille canis est in fenestram?