Worrying weather changes

What's Hot

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3605
    This is absolutely horrifying . 

https://climate.copernicus.eu/record-breaking-north-atlantic-ocean-temperatures-contribute-extreme-marine-heatwaves

We're all hypocrites but it's a numbers game. I have stopped flying. I've quietly quit a band because I was doing 50 extra miles a week to get to rehearsals and it didn't sit well with me. But I have kids and I still eat meat. Whatever you can do, helps. If you can do more, brilliant. Eventually, economics will force us to ditch a lot of things anyway. 

Let's not forget that this is far from being just about consumer choice. It's a matter of record that fossil fuel companies knew this decades ago, and continue to obfuscate. They should be in court and individuals prosecuted. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4609
    That's numberwang
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27224
    I don’t have kids so I’m going on holiday 

I’m also spending a career building solar plants and batteries and potentially green hydrogen shizzles so I win the game of virtue signals. 

Also happy birthday Emp :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • snowblindsnowblind Frets: 313
    I would like to see the vast amounts of electricity required to feed my valve amps generated by thorium based nuclear power plants instead of gas fired stations. Also no reason why cruise ships couldn't be powered by the same means using the new small factor modular reactor designs. 

@fastonebaz That is the cheeriest outlook I've seen in a while and granted the universe probably does not give a rats whether or not some mayfly carbon-based lifeform irradiates it's own planet it might be nice if all the other lifeforms got to enjoy their existence, however fleeting in the grand scheme of things.  :)
    Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3584
    edited May 1
    boogieman said:
    robgilmo said:
    We dont really see the effects of global warming here, not to the same extent that other do, its a massive issue for many countries right now.
    We ARE already seeing some effects though. Flooding is getting more regular as we’re getting more rainfall. Average temperatures are slowly climbing. I think the hottest day ever recorded in the U.K. was at Heathrow only a year or two ago? 
    Current predictions are for more wetter and milder winters and hotter, drier summers. https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/climate-change/climate-change-in-the-uk
    Yes we are, but not to the extent that other are, the flooding here in Suffolk has been happening for a very long time, its actually done purposefully, with high tides the sluice gates open and the water flows onto land specially left to flood, its been this way for decades, the problem is in land managment and the use of these flood fields to build upon, I am not saying we arnt getting flooding due to climate change, we are, I am saying, at least around these parts, flooding is not a new thing.
    London , 1928
    Norfolk , 1912
    Suffolk , 1953
    Suffolk 1968
    Thats just a quick google, I am sure there were more over the years.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Can we wait until Greenland champagne is a thing?

Old, overweight and badly maintained. Unlike my amps which are just old and overweight.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2318
    All we need is a big volcanic event or meteor impact to dwarf the amount of environmental impact that the human race creates. I'm sure that there must be one overdue. If you watch the Discovery-type channels these things are always "overdue".

The upside would be that a large number of humans would be eradicated. It would be a completely natural event so no one could complain about that on "ethical grounds" about it being "man-made"

:-)
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24435
    Tannin said:
    mrkb said:
    TLDR - Man from western world who flies off on lots of foreign holidays emitting tonnes of Co2e is worried about climate change while on holiday.
    Before we decide whether to give your remarks any credence, answer one question:

How many children do you have?  
    @mrkb ??
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 741
    He probably eats food and drinks water too! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Adey said:
    All we need is a big volcanic event or meteor impact to dwarf the amount of environmental impact that the human race creates. I'm sure that there must be one overdue. If you watch the Discovery-type channels these things are always "overdue".

The upside would be that a large number of humans would be eradicated. It would be a completely natural event so no one could complain about that on "ethical grounds" about it being "man-made"

:-)
    The problem is that some would survive, this planet did OK until we came along, we started fucking it basically as soon as we became aware that we could.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6920
    Tannin said:
    mrkb said:
    TLDR - Man from western world who flies off on lots of foreign holidays emitting tonnes of Co2e is worried about climate change while on holiday.
    Before we decide whether to give your remarks any credence, answer one question:

One.
    Whats the "correct answer" - and remember it needs to be an integer ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • NothingOnTheTeleNothingOnTheTele Frets: 530
    I don’t have kids so I’m going on holiday 

I’m also spending a career building solar plants and batteries and potentially green hydrogen shizzles so I win the game of virtue signals. 

Also happy birthday Emp
    That's nothing. I live in a tree in the forest. I only eat leaves which fall from the tree. I stay perfectly still whenever possible so that I don't squish any insects. I only breathe once every two minutes so that I don't exhale too much CO2. Know I could do better, but it's a start.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4134
    @snowblind I'm such fun at parties :joy: 
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 158
    Timcito said:
    robgilmo said:
    Just to add , we will see the effects when there is a mass exodus from these countries, this will displace millions.
    Well, if nothing else, Gen Z will finally have a genuine reason to whine!   

I can see an avalanche of mental health days stacking up on the horizon!   o
    Anyone else think it's no coincidence they were given the last letter in the alphabet as a name?
    My trading feedback thread
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @snowblind I'm such fun at parties :joy: 
    It's a perfectly valid viewpoint. I'm thinking of starting a religion and I think you might make an ideal disciple.

Welcome to the church of the sentient Universe.  
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28689
    mrkb said:
    Tannin said:

One.
    Whats the "correct answer" - and remember it needs to be an integer ;)
    That look like an attempt to build an ad hominem argument against you.

The idea that an argument's merit depends on who makes it is obviously spurious. And a classic logical fallacy. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2318
    edited May 1
    I love it when someone uses the terms "ad hominem" and "fallacy" on an internet forum. :-)

If only the term "straw man" could be squeezed in too, I'd complete my Internet Forum Arguement bingo line!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28689
    At least I'm not one of the thickos who gets ad hominems and insults mixed up! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hominems? And WTF is a straw man? I need to google the crap out of this now, I was going to watch star trek but I needs to know!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11992
    robgilmo said:
    Hominems? And WTF is a straw man? I need to google the crap out of this now, I was going to watch star trek but I needs to know!
    Don't do it son, don't do it...