Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD .... Beat-up Goldtop LP

What's Hot
ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

I might have posted this on the old forum ... can't remember .. if i'm repeating myself .. sorry, age thing.

Got this back in the Spring.  Been after a mullered distressed gold top LP with P90's for some time.  This is a 1974 Deluxe.  No breaks or alterations other than its had Schaller tuners on at some time in the past, came with repro tuners and cheap knobs but fortunately I had both in correct vintage form in my parts box. Original switch tip was split and fell off frequently, so I stuck a 50's repro on.

The state of the top is all genuine, clearly it's been played hard; and it plays great, that's probably why.  Has a fatter neck than normal for early 70's Gibson's, good shoulder and not too flat on the back, making it really comfortable to play for sustained periods.   It's a heavy bugger at 10lb 2oz, but it balances really well on a strap and therefore it does not feel anything like as heavy when you're wearing it.   Came with the original mini humbuckers and the neck in particular was very nice indeed, but I really wanted P90's so it's got a SD Antiquity in the neck and a 1954 rewound (Shed) in the bridge (probably Alnico 3 magnets), thin 50's covers.  Great guitar, has a real soulful tone. 

50's look, but I prefer the reflectors.

With its mini humbuckers

0reaction image LOL 22reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9809
    Not normally a fan of LPs but that does look very nice indeed.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well that's just awesome :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15758
    that looks the bizniz.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Yes, it must be a good 'un to get in that condition. What a great looking guitar.
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Just magnificent.
  • As cool as a really cool thing.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited September 2013
    This may be a stupid question (I've never been a Les Paul aficionado) but how does the sound of the mini-humbuckers differ from the P90s? 

I like both configurations on this LP. It looks great too, not being all sunburst and stripes!
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3953
    What a beauty.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    That's fabulous I'm seriously jealous of that one. Have a wow and a WOW! God I love goldtops
  • RichRich Frets: 18
    That is one of the coolest guitars I've ever seen. I love it. It would be kind of awesome to know who was thrashing it for the 35 years before you got your hands on it...
  • 'Wow' duly awarded....
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    That's absolutely beautiful!
    Plus, the P90s look way nicer than the goof rings and mini humbuckers, IMO.
    As @dogload says, it would be interesting to know how they compared, sound-wise. I really like the P90s in my LP but I can see how the mini-hums might in some ways be the best of both worlds - brighter/clearer voice than a regular HB but without the P90 noise. Although there is a certain P90 growl that might be hard to reproduce.
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Thanks guys.  The mini humbuckers are much closer to regular humbuckers than P90's.  I think that the lower output of the mini humbucker really suits the neck in an LP giving more clarity than the full size humbucker.  The bridge mini hum can be a bit bright and thin for my taste. 

The P90's in this LP have a lot of balls even though they are vintage winds, I really like the smoothness of P90's and the way they  "compress"; almost too much through a driven Marshall style amp, but they are great for pushing a "clean" Fender type amp.  But roll the volume off the guitar a tad and the pickup changes character a little brighter, more transparent and sweeter.

This is the tone I was chasing and I feel I've pretty much got it ... not got the chops of course.  If you don't like DG, just go to 2:40 .... fantastic tone, what a LP with P90's is all about IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFkn6Q7DzU

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13577
    edited September 2013
    Basher said:
    That's absolutely beautiful!

nah, loves minis, and thems normal rings for minis innum ?

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ESchap said:

This is the tone I was chasing and I feel I've pretty much got it ... not got the chops of course.  If you don't like DG, just go to 2:40 .... fantastic tone, what a LP with P90's is all about IMHO.

Marvellous... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    edited September 2013
    Basher said:
    I don't like the goof rings, but this one doesn't have them anyway - those are the standard minihumbucker height rings. The goof rings are extra thin cream plastic surrounds nailed to the top to cover poor routing, hence the name ;). (And sometimes black ones under the tailpiece studs.)

I didn't know they went to the sharp cutaway horn as early as '74, I've always thought that was a bit later - clearly not! To be honest I don't like it - it's one of those details which I could never live with, like the paddle headstock. Yes, I'm probably shallow...

Really needs a Bigsby too :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It's got the Look!
    A few scratches and nicotine stains on the P90 covers would be a nice finishing touch.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Pots date to early '74 so I'm assuming it is a '74, can't tell reliably from the serial number of course.  Mahogany neck also puts it more likely '74 than '75 (change to maple)  IMHO.   I had an early '74 Deluxe (pots dated late '73) and it had the more rounded horn and goof rings!  It weighed 9Lb exact but the body was about an eighth of an inch thinner (!) than this one measured top of binding to back.

Hummed and hawed about a Bigsby on this.  Really tempted, may go the vibramate route in the first instance. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72933
    edited September 2013
    I would do it properly :). I think they look great with old ex-Bigsby holes if you change your mind!

They do add over a pound to the weight though - even worse with a Vibramate - so if you're starting at over 10lb already you may want a back brace...

But you could make it like this:

:D

(Neil's backup guitar - I was there, and I actually thought it sounded better than Old Black!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dude!

Its gone green and mouldy...

Best you give it to me.