Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD .... Beat-up Goldtop LP

What's Hot

Comments

• That's lovely.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33897
    Brilliant.

Now be a good chap and put those mini-buckers back in before you lose them. ;)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U22OeyKSKMw

Another brick in the wall. Nuff said.

Lovely GoldTop
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• dindudedindude Frets: 8561

Just a few unrelated questions if I may:

Where do you live (full address inc. postcode please)?

When are you next on holiday?

Man alive I love that guitar....................

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Just lovely ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ESchap said:

Pots date to early '74 so I'm assuming it is a '74, can't tell reliably from the serial number of course.  Mahogany neck also puts it more likely '74 than '75 (change to maple)  IMHO.   I had an early '74 Deluxe (pots dated late '73) and it had the more rounded horn and goof rings!  It weighed 9Lb exact but the body was about an eighth of an inch thinner (!) than this one measured top of binding to back.

Hummed and hawed about a Bigsby on this.  Really tempted, may go the vibramate route in the first instance. 

That's an amazing guitar.  If you fancy a Bigsby, check this place out, he will age it to your spec...

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5096
    edited September 2013
    AKA 'goof hiders' - the extra rings on some Deluxes...
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Gorgeous! :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31858
    Very lovely. Shame I won't live long enough to see my own goldtop wear like that!
  • That is gorgeous..

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've visited this thread to look at that guitar more than any NGD thread in a long time. Have another wow :-)
  • Fack me thats unreal :)
    Got to be the one of the best lesters iv seen.
    Go nice with all your semis :)
  • I had a couple of those Kalamazoo Norlins.Fantastic guitars.I preferred the mini's over P90's.
    Mine weren't as scabby as yours.That is one glorious guitar.
    I'll keep an eye out for when you sell it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16909
    it looks so nice.   just a shame when I look at that top I think it must be a (very, very, very good) relic.  just because it looks more like clever over ageing than natural wear.  I think that is mostly down to the softened look of the chipped edges which is often a sign of a relic or an old chipped guitar that has been rebuffed at some point

i really do love the verdigris and sunken join lines showing its a 3-piece maple top ... and wondering what is underneath  ;)

think i would have kept the mini-HB's
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    I usually prefer the mini's but those P90's just look like they belong in there. Awesome guitar and those mismatched knobs did had a certain charm, you should totally put them back!

...oh and +1 for a Bigsby 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[had to shout]

As beautiful an LP as I have ever seen.
  • Nice.

This supports my theory that 'relic'd' guitars are too arty and "perfectly" aged than the real deal, because this looks nothing like any relic guitar I've seen - it looks bloody cool!

I have a theory that guitars that have seen this much love must be good. Good GAS, man.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 770
    I've played this guitar a lot and it's a genuine old Gibson and not a relic.

It might look over egged in the pics but it's real. Lovely guitar.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    WezV said:
    it looks so nice.   just a shame when I look at that top I think it must be a (very, very, very good) relic.  just because it looks more like clever over ageing than natural wear.  I think that is mostly down to the softened look of the chipped edges which is often a sign of a relic or an old chipped guitar that has been rebuffed at some point

i really do love the verdigris and sunken join lines showing its a 3-piece maple top ... and wondering what is underneath  ;)

think i would have kept the mini-HB's

Ooh ... I love a challenge .... This is genuine @WezV.  ; When I got it, it really was in fairly disgusting shape.  The whole guitar with the exception of the fret board had a dull "crust" on it.   Tried guitar polish and even lighter fluid, but nothing would fully shift it.  So went the extreme route and took T-cut to it.  That got rid of it (a lot of careful work!).  While I was removing it I could smell furniture polish in the gunge that came off!! I reckon that comprised the "matrix" of the crust, the rest being dried corrosive sweat and dead skin!  Of course the t-cut took off some off the "verdigris" but I had to do it so at least I could hold the guitar without thinking I was going to catch a disease!  

I also had it looked over by JXG in Newcastle who, as you probably know, is fairly expert in the art of "relic" ... he didn't question it's originality.  Shugz of this forum has played it also and rates it genuine.

The wear is definitely original, if you could see it in the flesh, I'm sure you'd concur.  Couple of photos below show the top before I attacked it with T-cut and after.  Note the colour change where the scratch plate is removed.  If it were a relic, someone has gone to a hell of a lot of bother for what is not a particularly valuable guitar.

As far as the maple underneath is concerned, the third that comprises the bass bout definitely has some flame in it.

Before:

After:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Wow gorgeous - jealous as hell