Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD .... Beat-up Goldtop LP

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2029
    Another Wow from me. THAT is a guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My friend has a goldtop from the same period. He also took the mini's out and put p90's in. Great guitar but too heavy to do whole gigs with, although this means the balance is superb. Put it where you want it and it does not move.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    The arm wear looks 100% genuine to me.

If you look at the Shanks and The Beast Historic Les Pauls you will see how hard it is to fake arm wear. Both very nice guitars, but the patch of newly sawn bare maple is for me.....a bit ridiculous!
     Gibson (for the moment) should stick to modest ageing, a few dings, VOS patina - ie the things that they do very well.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16913
    not really a challenge was it.   I said it had even been reliced OR rebuffed at some point as the edges of the chips looked quite soft and rounded over in the reflections.  you have said you have rebuffed it with t-cut - that will explain what I am seeing

When looking at wear i always like to imagine what has caused it.  it should tell a story as this one does.   Somebody didn't look after this very well and it started chipping at the edges... then at some point the chipping has stopped and its started to wear down and round off at the sharp chipped edges .   the question is why did the chipping stop?  was it a new owner that bothered to use a stand? or in this case a rebuff with a cutting compound that has rounded off those edges!

The verdigris on the bass side also suggest the clear has worn thin in this area and exposed the copper in the lower layers to the air and moisture  - compare it to the discolouration around the controls which i think will go the same way eventually

These things always become more obvious in the flesh either way.   
  • Hater ;)
  • Seriously beautiful guitar!
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited September 2013
    ESchap said:

i

good job done.
    that looks like it had leprosy.

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I wish you would stop posting pictures of this- I sort of want one!

Thanks for the info about the pickups by the way.