What's your favourite Boost?

What's Hot

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 880
    Neilybob said:
    I’ve gone boost crazy recently since shifting from Marshall drive channel to Fender sound + gain stages.

always had a TS9 type pedal on my board since forever. The Analogman Prince of tone is by far the best version I’ve ever used & stays on my little gigging board.

Boss BP-1W is a recent revelation that has eclipsed almost all the other pedals in this picture as an always-on boost to push a clean channel.

Other favourites, admittedly I’m pushing the definition of boost a bit with some of these. That’s how I use them though.

Fredric golden eagle (klone)
    JHS preamp overdrive
    Keeley Java (treble boost)
    Boss OD-1a
    Timmy
    Boss GE-6
    Echoline signal driver (not pictured)

Oooh! I would love to give that Boss BP-1W a whirl. 
    Well, I’m about to sell a mint one if you fancy it…. Start of a cull 

Oh I'm after one of them!
    Go for it. I'm skint :cry: 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    edited May 23
    You've already got the best one.

Now if you're like me you just need to try all the other ones, just to be sure.

But yeah there's something about the Timmy, at least the way I use it. It's really handy the way you can cut the low end the amount you need (a lot of the clean boosts don't let you do that), there's a glassiness to the high end which is just great and helps it clean up, and there's just an angry grind to it when boosting a high gain amp which is just perfect for me for rhythm tones (I prefer an SD1-style boost for leads). Don't get me wrong, there are loads of pedals which more or less do the same thing, and I'd be perfectly happy with any of them. But if I've got the free choice...
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 890
    I like the SHO it just does something magical to a Strat 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    I use the Timmy V2 for my solo boosts, yeah it’s great into a driven amp.
       A couple of others I have which work really well is the ceriatone Horsebreaker(very good Klon and Bluesbreaker) and the Drybell unit 67(has boost, eq, compressor and treble boost…lovely versatile pedal).

But at the end of the day we all know the Bad monkey is king :)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14030
    Another vote for the TC Spark, I've got one recently, cheap enough and quite flexible, I prefer it to the Suhr Koko boost I had as the Spark has bass & treble tone controls. I always find that boosting seems to increase the treble on my amp so having the ability to roll a bit of top end off is good as is lowing the bass to remove any woof.

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    @monquixote - the Boss BP-1W is awesome. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1429
    Caline Pure Sky
    Behringer SF300 fuzz (on the boost mode obviously)
  • steviebee74steviebee74 Frets: 35
    I've used one of these in recent years and it's been great. Cheap & cheerfull, easy to use, versatile and easily replaceable (though I've never had to replace mine). 

https://blackstaramps.com/product/lt-boost/
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    @monquixote - the Boss BP-1W is awesome. 

Awesome. I'm excited to get one. My board is 100% Waza so you can say I'm a fanboy
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 851
    Koko boost in front of the amp and MXR CAE MC 401 in the loop.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5228
    I liked the Xotic (big box) RC boost (really clean) 
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 323
    edited May 24
    A couple of my favourites have already been mentioned (Fredric zombie/golden eagle klone and the treble booster side of the Thorpy veteran) but I really like the ThorpyFx Team Medic. I feel this one has gone under the radar a bit and doesn’t get as much love as thorpy’s other pedals but it’s fantastic as a combined eq and boost
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 497
    edited May 25
    Can’t go wrong with an MXR Micro amp… the Joyo version (Roll Boost) is almost identical.  

I love my Beetronics Buzzter - two separate boosts that definitely add a little magic and sweetens the sound somehow.  I leave one boost permanently on and use the other for solos / clean boost.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    edited May 26
    markj said:
    /broken record post:

Way Huge Saucy Box -  superb clean-boost through mid-drive pedal, I rarely switch mine off! heart 

Another one for the list.

My understanding is it's broadly speaking a Klon. I had one and quite liked it.
    Common misconception, but it’s not! It does have a dual-ganged clean-blended vol. pot, but that’s about where the similarities (at circuit-level) end - I agree that it does a similar thing tonally though. The SB is a simplified lower-gain version of the WH Pork Loin, whereas WH also made an actual Klone later on called the Conspiracy Theory. 
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 323
    I like a Mooer Yellow Comp. It's small and can compression and eq. Has a subtle mid hump too which is great for boosting overdrive pedals. 

Oh and it's affordable. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    Now I have a BP-1W I can comment on how I see it vs the other things I've tried.

I can see why people rave about it. It's a very good quality boost with a few different flavours on offer. I see it as a perfect "always on" or a very light drive for when you want to turn spanky clean into very slight grit. For example it's perfect for playing something Steve Cropper like Soul Man or other vintage soul where a Chic clean doesn't quite cut it, or the kind of not quite clean you might find on a Paul Weller record. 
    It can also get quite gainy if you whack it up all the way.

Is it the best thing ever. No not really, there are other circumstances where you might prefer the added mid of a Klon, or the more amp like response of the Liquid Sunshine. I think it's very comparable to my previous fav the Laney TI boost which has powerful EQ, but lacks the modes. 

It's going on my board though because it looks right with my 100% Boss rig  =)
  • Deus1791Deus1791 Frets: 6
    A few favorites from my collection.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2291
    I've got loads. My personal favourite is based on a rangemaster. That's a great circuit to try.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
    • Suhr Koko V1 - great boost
    • TC Spark - very affordable, very useful
    • SHO - great simple design
    • Lunastone Boost -compact and lots of clean boost on tap
    • Way Huge Angry Troll - versatile and has grit if you want it via the Fists

• llewllew Frets: 78
    I've had a fulltone fat boost (the grey one) on my board for donkey years. The only pedal I've ever stuck with