Why will PRS not stay in tune

What's Hot
BarneyBarney Frets: 621
Just played tonight using a PRS custom 24 ...I spent most of the night tuning it ...I do use the trem a bit  but it was just hard work keeping it in tune ...anybody have the same problem with these 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3288
    Because they copied the designs of guitars famous for having tuning issues.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    Nut 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    Because they copied the designs of guitars famous for having tuning issues.
    No they didn't. They adapted the design to ensure that the strings go straight through the nut because of known tuning issues with other guitars where they fan out.

They did the opposite of copy, they made their own design. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3145
    Barney said:
    Just played tonight using a PRS custom 24 ...I spent most of the night tuning it ...I do use the trem a bit  but it was just hard work keeping it in tune ...anybody have the same problem with these 
    Could be the 6 trem screws need lining up with the plate again
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    Barney said:
    New / old strings perhaps? They’re renowned for being about as stable as you can get for a non-locking trem, so unless something’s up with your nut, or if the bridge screws/knife-edge on the trem itself had been fouled by poor maintenance/adjustment then it’s out of the ordinary for sure.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Need to examine what is going on and what is causing the problem 

So you tune it up and assume initially all okay. So what causes it to go out - just regular playing - big bends - or using the trem

is it all strings going out - are they going sharp or flat 

just wondering about the Trem set up - look at the belly of the guitar and the base of the trem plate and they should be on a similar parallel line - Certainly don’t want the trem plate angling up like a ski slope or down like a hill - so update accordingly on the above and let’s take it from there 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    Have a look at the string ball ends in the vibrato sustain block. Are they all seated properly? Are the wraps around the end of each string unwinding?

Have you recently changed to a heavier string gauge?

D'Addario Balanced Tension 10-46 string sets come with a 13.5 thou B string. I recently put a set on a friend's guitar. The B was catching in its nut slot. A quick rounding with a slotting file cured the problem.

How old is your PRS CU24? The gears inside the Schaller "wing collar" machineheads eventually become sloppy. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
    Only ever had one issue with a PRS going out of tune and it was the nut.
    The whole point of a PRS is that it stays in tune
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    Up to a point.

The PRS six-screw fulcrum vibrato cannot match Floyd Rose motorcycle starting up stunts for very long without going out of tune.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    PRS?

Possibly Requires Set-up
    Perhaps Rusty Strings
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5245
    HAL9000 said:
    PRS?

Possibly Requires Set-up
    Perhaps Rusty Strings
    Perhaps Ragged Slots (in the nut)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    Note: DO NOT ADJUST THE BRIDGE SCREWS WITH THE STRINGS UNDER ANY TENSION
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11499
    Ask your local dentist for advice.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    Does it stick out of tune in the same direction as the last trem movement - ie flat after a down-bend? If so, it’s the bridge. Or the opposite - sharp after a down-bend? If so, the nut or possibly the tuners.

Are the tuner key screws overtightened? PRS do that. Release the tension slightly so the little spring washer between the key and the tuner body has a tiny bit of give in it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BarneyBarney Frets: 621
    Stevepage said:
    Barney said:
    Could be the 6 trem screws need lining up with the plate again
    Thanks ...I looked at these but thought I better not touch them and didn't think they would make any difference 
    Lebarque said:
    Nut It's the black nut ...is it Graphite or something...I also put pencil led in and using 9 to 42 strings 
    Barney said:
    New / old strings perhaps? They’re renowned for being about as stable as you can get for a non-locking trem, so unless something’s up with your nut, or if the bridge screws/knife-edge on the trem itself had been fouled by poor maintenance/adjustment then it’s out of the ordinary for sure.
    New strings ...NYXL...the nut seems ok ...I was thinking it was the trem side but not sure iff I should mess with the screws or not 
    Need to examine what is going on and what is causing the problem 

So you tune it up and assume initially all okay. So what causes it to go out - just regular playing - big bends - or using the trem

is it all strings going out - are they going sharp or flat 

just wondering about the Trem set up - look at the belly of the guitar and the base of the trem plate and they should be on a similar parallel line - Certainly don’t want the trem plate angling up like a ski slope or down like a hill - so update accordingly on the above and let’s take it from there 
    Yeah all tuned up but it seems when I use the trem ..which I do a lot ...I tried it at home and it seemed to be holding tune but was going out last night ...I wasn't sure which one with it being floating trem ...
    Have a look at the string ball ends in the vibrato sustain block. Are they all seated properly? Are the wraps around the end of each string unwinding?

D'Addario Balanced Tension 10-46 string sets come with a 13.5 thou B string. I recently put a set on a friend's guitar. The B was catching in its nut slot. A quick rounding with a slotting file cured the problem.

How old is your PRS CU24? The gears inside the Schaller "wing collar" machineheads eventually become sloppy. 

I'm using the D'aAddario NYXL 9 to 42...the guitar is a 2001 model 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    edited May 26
    [EDIT: Already mentioned my @Stevepage earlier that I hadn't seen, but in more detail below]

The trem bridge with 6 fulcrum screws at the front of the bridge plate?

If so the screws probably have a cleft in the smooth part of the screw shank just under the head around the full circumference. I'm not sure if they all have this on the screws, but the ones I've worked on in the past have had this.

Although it does matter on a 6-screw vintage style Strat trem, it isn't quite as crucial as it is with these PRS trems to have all 6 screws set at exactly the same heights so that the chamfered edge of the holes in the bridge plate all sit in those pivot points at the same heights.  The 6 screws that act as the fulcrums at the front of a vintage Strat bridge do not have those rebates cut into them and only use the smooth shank of the screw to pivot on, so it doesn't matter quite as much whether they are set to exactly the same heights.  The usual indicator of uneven height screws is a plinking or plonking noise as you use the trem, and it can mess with the tuning stability.

From memory the indentation is something like 2 or 2.5mm below the underside of the screw head.  I found that the easist way to make sure they are all the same height is to first have the trem set to the desired or recommended height off the body, which is something like 1/16" (don't quote me on that - it's documented in lots of places), and then relax all the strings and springs so that the bridge plate lies flat on the body.  Using a gauge of the same thickness as the distance down from the bottom of the screw head to the indented ring on the screw, you can insert that between the top of the bridge plate and the underside of the screw and set all the screw heads to the same height so the indented rings are all exactly in line.  One thing you don't really want to be doing is turning the screws too much with full string and spring tension on them because it can blunt and deform the fulcrum points.

Thereafter it's a case of trying to minimise friction at all points of contact, especially the nut slots.  The "nut sauce" stuff is reputed to be very good, but I buy much cheaper Labelle 206 grease with teflon (PTFE) that's intended for model cars, planes, trains, etc. and it works extremely well in nut slots, string trees, and breakover points on saddles.

Watch THIS official PRS video from 10 seconds in and keep repeating the section right at 0:13 as the trem bridge is being lowered back to the floating position.  You will see the bass side suddenly making an odd movement.  That's very likely to be caused by misalignment between the groove in the screw and the edge of the hole in the bridge plate, and that kind of thing can cause "return to pitch" tuning issues.