Why will PRS not stay in tune

What's Hot

Comments

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1337
    The adjustment of six screws on a PRS tremolo is probably the only thing I've managed to mess up on my setups. One of my old cu22's wouldn't stay in tune and those screws were the last resort. I've watched every single tutorial on how to adjust them and after I was done it was even worse :)
    I don't give my guitars to anyone unless it's a repair beyond my skills but on this occasion I'd never touch them myself again. Best of luck to the OP, hope it works for you man. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 621
    Sorry bring this post up again but my PRS still isn't staying in tune ..I thought it was sorted but it's not  ...but I have narrowed it down to the G string ...when pushing down on the trem the G string goes sharp iff I go to the machine head side of the nut and push down on the G string it will correct it's self ...IV tried pencil led but makes no difference ... Any help is appreciated 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Barney said:
    Sorry bring this post up again but my PRS still isn't staying in tune ..I thought it was sorted but it's not  ...but I have narrowed it down to the G string ...when pushing down on the trem the G string goes sharp iff I go to the machine head side of the nut and push down on the G string it will correct it's self ...IV tried pencil led but makes no difference ... Any help is appreciated 
    Suspect the top nut
    Tune up and for now ignore the trem
    Gently bend the G string behind the top nut - To at least a 1/4 tone, maybe 1/2
    A - did you hear any ping B- now check the tuning again 

any issue would indicate the string is getting stuck in the nut slot

if all okay - Tune up again - Bend a few licks on the G string - Try it first gentle and if okay then then try again more excessive bends- check the tuning 

any issues should be G string only

For now ignore anything else - Try that and update accordingly 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4237
    PRS and Parker are 2 brands I never have to worry about when it comes to tuning stability, even the SE’s are rock solid 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    edited July 5
    FWIIW, stock PRS SE nuts are usually plastic rather than the self-lubricating "Unobtainium" material.

One string wandering off pitch is either a nut slot issue or the machinehead fastening has worked loose.

Strings themselves would only be an issue if they are fatigued, counterfeit or of considerably heavier gauges than the factory set.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    tFB Trader
    FWIIW, stock PRS SE nuts are usually plastic rather than the self-lubricating "Unobtainium" material.

One string wandering off pitch is either a nut slot issue or the machinehead fastening has worked loose.

Strings themselves would only be an issue if they are fatigued, counterfeit or of considerably heavier gauges than the factory set.
    Valid point about string gauge - I forgot to ask him that plus if plain or wd 3rd
    Barney said:
    Suspect the top nut

if all okay - Tune up again - Bend a few licks on the G string - Try it first gentle and if okay then then try again more excessive bends- check the tuning 

Thanks I think the G string and all the others are ok now I used a slightly larger string to open it out a bit ...the bottom E strings seems to have the same problem now .. I maybe need to do the same ....I also put pencil led in maybe I should get nut oil.....it's a back nut on a 2001 custom 24 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    I've done the same using an old wound string as a "file" to widen and round the bottom of the slot in the nut.
    I also now use the following lubricant that contains teflon for nut slots and trem contact points and I notice the difference without having to pay more for less in the form of something like "Big Bends Nut Sauce" and similar offerings.
    tFB Trader
    Barney said:
    Barney said:
    Suspect the top nut

Thanks I think the G string and all hthe others are ok now I used a slightly larger string to open it out a bit ...the bottom E strings seems to have the same problem now .. I maybe need to do the same ....I also put pencil led in maybe I should get nut oil.....it's a back nut on a 2001 custom 24 
    Whilst generally PRS nuts (USA) are less problematic, certainly compared to many other nuts - On a 23 year old model it might have worn the base of the string slots a touch - A larger round string can be a good idea with out owning proper nut files - Just rub gently enough to clean out and not to make bigger/deeper - Do a bit and check- Can always repeat if required 
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 300
    I use Big Bends Nut Sauce whenever I change strings and have not had any tuning stability issues to date. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    Barney said:
    It's definitely sticking in the nut. If pencil lead hasn't cured it, try a grease-type lubricant (just a tiny quantity) - Big Bends Nut Sauce is the best I've found, it's expensive but it really does work better than anything else I've tried - and you only need a tiny amount, the tube will last years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks for the help everyone ..I'm going get some of that nut sauce I think ...it seems to be just the bottom E string now but hard to tell because when one goes out the others go as well ....but the bottom E is the one that's always going high after using the trem 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
    edited July 9
    I have a 2002 PRS Cu24 which is my main gigging guitar with one of the big reasons being it's tuning is so stable even with vigorous use of the 'trem' (strictly it's vibrato, of course).  So, and assuming you're using good quality strings that aren't worn out, it's absolutely a set up/nut issue. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    I have a 2002 PRS Cu24 which is my main gigging guitar with one of the big reasons being it's tuning is so stable even with vigorous use of the 'trem' (strictly it's vibrato, of course).  So, and assuming you're using good quality strings that aren't worn out, it's absolutely a set up/nut issue. 
    Yeah I'm using NYXL strings ...it seems to be the nut so iv ordered some nut oil for it so hopefully it will sort it ....I love the guitar I just need the tuning to be more stable ....I do use the trem a lot though 
    Latest saga with this PRS ...IV tried nut oil and it still won't stay in tune ...iff push fully down on the trem it comes back out of tune ...it's hard to tell which string is causing it ..iff I pull up on the trem it's back in ....I'm thinking something wrong with the nut now ...??
    In the absence of any photographs to illustrate the headstock of the thread starter's guitar, some basic details are yet to be confirmed.

1) Which series? Core, S2 or SE?
    2) Which machinehead design?
    3) Are the machinehead hex nuts nipped up properly?
    4) How many turns of string around the posts?
    5) Any damage where each string passes over its bridge saddle?
    6) Is each string properly seated in the vibrato sustain block?

These are all simple things to check rather than assume that, if they look alright, they must be okay.

Sorry ...I'm not sure how to load photos 

1  it's a custom 24 2001 I think 

2 machine heads are the winged type all metal with the black tuners 

3 I'm sure what you mean about the Hex nuts 

4  no turns because they are locking type where you lay them in the ridge and tighten using the wing and tuner 

5 saddle looks ok they are brass I think ..at least that in colour

6 I'm not sure really and wouldn't really know how to tell ?
    The original "wing collar" 'heads are modified Schaller M6 types. The fastening hex nut is concealed beneath the black string locking parts. Tightness of the hex nut can only be checked while the string clamping mechanism is slacked off and lifted clear.

Inspect the string ball ends from the rear of the guitar. It is possible that one ball end is caught on the perimeter of the hole in which it is supposed to sit. Obviously, this is less stable than proper seating. It is possible that the wrapped section near the ball end is unravelling.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    Barney said:
    Latest saga with this PRS ...IV tried nut oil and it still won't stay in tune ...iff push fully down on the trem it comes back out of tune ...it's hard to tell which string is causing it ..iff I pull up on the trem it's back in ....I'm thinking something wrong with the nut now ...??
    Yes, sounds like it. That behaviour is characteristic of binding in the nut.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Barney said:
    Yes, sounds like it. That behaviour is characteristic of binding in the nut.
    I think IV got it down to the G string ....IV actually took it out of the slot and it's still going high ...I'm thinking maybe the G string head ..again I can correct it by pressing the string about the nut...head side ...I can't think how a machine head could make it go sharp though by pressing down on the trem