Sorry Paul Davids,not impressed by Rotosound Strings..

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3586
    mo6020 said:
    mo6020 said:
    Here's my valuable comment: I like Stringjoy's, never tried Rotosound.

I'm interested in Stringjoys but never tried them.  Seem expensive and not easy to source.  How do they compare with Elixirs? (I'm a big Elixir fan but they don't make 8s and with worsening arthritis issues I'm tempted to shift to 8s).
    I haven't tried Elixirs but they compare favourably to NYXLs, which are also coated. The Stringjoy's aren't coated but they last a decent amount of time and sound pretty consistant until right at the end of their life.

I went from Ernie Ball (for about 30 years) to NYXLs to Stringjoy Signatures and I've stuck with these for a couple of years now. 
    NYXLs aren’t coated…I really rate them…I was using Elixir Optiwebs, then Curt Mangan, now I’m moving to NYXLs after a long time away from D’Addario.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 517
    I thought NYXLs were coated - that explains why I liked them when I don’t normally like coated strings lol. I still prefer the Stringjoys tho. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 87
    edited May 31
    Neil said:
    I've always found Rotosounds great and long lasting.
    D'addarios seem to oxidise more quickly for me. So much so that all my guitars are strung with Rotos now and just about to order some more.
    I had some rusty EB's fresh out of the pack so I'll never use them again.  
    I'm pretty sure my Gray Emperor came with Rotos that held up nicely for what must have been six years. Took me a while to figure out who used the red white and blue balls. 
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3586
    mo6020 said:
    I thought NYXLs were coated - that explains why I liked them when I don’t normally like coated strings lol. I still prefer the Stringjoys tho. 
    They do seem to last well, considering: gig #4 on a set tomorrow night ;)
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 992
    Philly_Q said:
    Pretty remarkable that this has run to three pages.  Some people like a brand of strings, some prefer other brands.  Who'd have guessed?
    Applying logic is no way to assess a TFB thread - surely you've figured that out by now  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 6007
    Philly_Q said:
    Pretty remarkable that this has run to three pages. 

Hi @Philly_Q and welcome to The Fretboard. Feel free to look around and have fun. Any questions, just ask.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5118
    Never heard of the bloke, why would you trust an advert?
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2155
    prowla said:
    He's a youtuber and has quite a following. A Dutchman and excellent player too. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8999
    prowla said:
    Like many of the better known YouTube celebrities in the guitar world, he started out giving free tutorials, advice, tips, and so on, mostly in acoustic playing and recording, but gradually moved into giving "reviews" of gear and using the channel primarily to sell their paid-for tuition.  There's no doubt that their recommendations and opinions, whether absolutely truthful or not, can have a lot of influence.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11910
    edited June 1 tFB Trader
    What i find remarkable is that folks think 'as I don't like this product ... nobody else will.' which is frankly utter bollocks. As someone else said strings are super subjective ... I've never found a coated string I liked ... to me DR strings are some of the worst I've ever tried  ... and with me Ernie Balls corrode like a bucket in a compost heap ... but all of this is subjective.
    What works for me probably won't work for you and vice versa. 
    I see nothing wrong in the original influencer recommending Rotosound strings, because as has been shown here, they work for quite a few of us with no problems ... and for us ... we save some money.
    I'd personally encourage people to try all kinds of strings and not simply listen to just personal opinion. 
    What works - works 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • KevSKevS Frets: 628
    I'm not trying to change opinions,or recommend anything to anyone..If other people like Rotosound,it doesn't affect me one bit,,why would it bother me.?..My Gruntle hasn't been dissed..
    My experience isn't the same as Paul Davids that's all..I'm not trying to scare anyone off Rotosound..
    I was also startled at how different the Rotosounds felt and sounded from my regulars..
    My regulars do have their own problems,they are far from perfect..
    I never expected such a difference..Genuinely..
    I like many things others don't get on with at al,,it's just how we all are...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25074
    AlbertC said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Pretty remarkable that this has run to three pages.  Some people like a brand of strings, some prefer other brands.  Who'd have guessed?
    Applying logic is no way to assess a TFB thread - surely you've figured that out by now  ;)
    I know.  But sometimes I try.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2715
    mo6020 said:
    mo6020 said:
    Here's my valuable comment: I like Stringjoy's, never tried Rotosound.

I'm interested in Stringjoys but never tried them.  Seem expensive and not easy to source.  How do they compare with Elixirs? (I'm a big Elixir fan but they don't make 8s and with worsening arthritis issues I'm tempted to shift to 8s).
    I haven't tried Elixirs but they compare favourably to NYXLs, which are also coated. The Stringjoy's aren't coated but they last a decent amount of time and sound pretty consistant until right at the end of their life.

I went from Ernie Ball (for about 30 years) to NYXLs to Stringjoy Signatures and I've stuck with these for a couple of years now. 
    The Stringjoys I was considering were Orbiters, which are coated. Based on my very strong preference for Elixirs over everything else I’ve tried I’m sure I’d prefer a coated string. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2333
    I'm a recent convert to Stringjoy (the blue pack) having used D'addarios my whole life.  They just feel a bit more 'premium' to play and seem to keep their tone a bit longer.  At 10.99 a pack I  don't think they're that much more expensive.  

i also really like D'addario Chromes but don't have any of those on any of my guitars right now.

I don't ever recall trying Rotosounds but always regarded them as a budget string - rightly or wrongly.  

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 659
    I wouldn't normally claim to be able to tell the tonal difference between different brands of strings, but the one time I put a set of Rotosounds on a guitar, they sounded older than the old strings they replaced.

On the other hand, their flatwound bass strings sound pretty good (but feel horrible.)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8999
    Chicken Tikka Chasni is shite.  Lamb Rogan Josh is much better.
    Same thing with me,they sounded older than the old D'Addario's to my lugs.
    The D'Addario's were on there much longer than they should have been,they seem to last for ages with me..

I also think,only think mind,Rotos may have a thinner core,they aren't quite as loud acoustically as the D'Addarios,
    on the Strat I done the String change on..It may be that I like thicker cores..

Again if people love Rotosound,I have no problem with it..

I don't like the feel of any flats I have tried..Used by some of the greatest Jazz players ever though.,and the early Beatles too...

Jalfrezi for the win..Preferably without meat though..Or Quality Channa Daal..
    Naan preferred over Rice..

• blobbblobb Frets: 3269
    I reckon it must be something to do with the guitar you put them on. I bought a load of different strings to try them all out and they were all exactly the same, with the exception of Roto, which were more 'metalic' sounding. More attack when you hit them. Second was Ibanez own brand but only because I found a set for about 3 quid on line so they scored for cheapness. This was on my Manson with a full brass bridge, brass nut and Kent Armstrong Rainbows played into a MATAMP set clean. All the others were dull by comparison. Maybe I should have grown a beard and done a YouTube OMG! video about it? 

I put Roto Swing on my bass because that's what Rich Sinclair uses, and if they are good enough for him I'll go with that reccomendation. Not sure what curry he likes, I'll have a pathia and a table naan from Castle Balti in Warwick if you're picking it up. Ta.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1153
    Someone should really test this stuff.

I'd be really surprised if anyone could tell the difference tbh. 
    blobb said:
    I reckon it must be something to do with the guitar you put them on. I bought a load of different strings to try them all out and they were all exactly the same, with the exception of Roto, which were more 'metalic' sounding. More attack when you hit them. Second was Ibanez own brand but only because I found a set for about 3 quid on line so they scored for cheapness. This was on my Manson with a full brass bridge, brass nut and Kent Armstrong Rainbows played into a MATAMP set clean. All the others were dull by comparison. Maybe I should have grown a beard and done a YouTube OMG! video about it? 

I put Roto Swing on my bass because that's what Rich Sinclair uses, and if they are good enough for him I'll go with that reccomendation. Not sure what curry he likes, I'll have a pathia and a table naan from Castle Balti in Warwick if you're picking it up. Ta.
    Richard Sinclair..Caravan,Hatfield etc..?  Land of Grey and Pink in top 10 albums..