Sorry Paul Davids,not impressed by Rotosound Strings..

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• KevSKevS Frets: 628
    Kurtis said:
    Someone should really test this stuff.

I'd be really surprised if anyone could tell the difference tbh. 
    I was surprised I found a difference..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3269
    Indeed. A phenominal bass player and a very nice chap.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 283
    I once put Rotosound Yellows on my PRS Tremonti, they felt ridiculously rough and dry and sounded dead, I couldn't stand them and got them off as soon as I could. 100% would not recommend. 

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2155
    Kurtis said:

Calling @Tannin.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8999
    edited June 2
    I once put Rotosound Yellows on my PRS Tremonti, they felt ridiculously rough and dry and sounded dead
    A bit like my ex-wife in bed then?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2155
    BillDL said:
    I once put Rotosound Yellows on my PRS Tremonti, they felt ridiculously rough and dry and sounded dead
    A bit like my ex-wife in bed then?
    Strange that. She was never like that with me!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1153
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:

Is it possible you imagined it? 
    Kurtis said:
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:

No,it wasn't subtle..Have you checked to see if Rotosounds and D'Addario's sound and feel the same yourself..? I hadn't directly,,hence my post..I expected them to be similar,then found out they weren't..The other possibility is that the Rotosound foil pack is a less effective barrier than the D'Addario sealed pack..I reckon the cores on the Rotos are maybe thinner as even unplugged I noticed less Volume..I have 2 identical Strats,there is about a 4 oz difference..The heavier one is just over 8lbs and normally acoustically louder than the other,,..Same electrics,same woods etc.I tweaked back and forward as far as pickup height and volume goes as I was using a Headrush,smaller one for a while,,so wanted to get a close match on patches..

.The Rotos were just quieter and darker,they went on the normally louder Strat..I've put D'Addario's back on..The feel I prefer and sound is back..Some may prefer Rotos..These Rotos,possibly not all Rotos felt and sounded lifeless..I don't know how long Rotosound have used foil packs..I bought them from a UK guitar shop..Not one I have used before though..They are called Stargoat Music..It sounds like somewhere off the Wicker Man..They seem legit..The presentation and packing sem to be of good quality..Maybe they are bootlegs..If Ash uses Pinks or Oranges..I could maybe send him a pack for comparison...I know he is busy though..

There is the possibility that I bought Goat o sounds rather than Rotosounds..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1153
    edited June 2
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:

No,it wasn't subtle..Have you checked to see if Rotosounds and D'Addario's sound and feel the same yourself..? I hadn't directly,,hence my post..I expected them to be similar,then found out they weren't..The other possibility is that the Rotosound foil pack is a less effective barrier than the D'Addario sealed pack..I reckon the cores on the Rotos are maybe thinner as even unplugged I noticed less Volume..I have 2 identical Strats,there is about a 4 oz difference..The heavier one is just over 8lbs and normally acoustically louder than the other,,..Same electrics,same woods etc.I tweaked back and forward as far as pickup height and volume goes as I was using a Headrush,smaller one for a while,,so wanted to get a close match on patches..

.The Rotos were just quieter and darker,they went on the normally louder Strat..I've put D'Addario's back on..The feel I prefer and sound is back..Some may prefer Rotos..These Rotos,possibly not all Rotos felt and sounded lifeless..I don't know how long Rotosound have used foil packs..I bought them from a UK guitar shop..Not one I have used before though..They are called Stargoat Music..It sounds like somewhere off the Wicker Man..They seem legit..The presentation and packing sem to be of good quality..Maybe they are bootlegs..If Ash uses Pinks or Oranges..I could maybe send him a pack for comparison...I know he is busy though..

Fair enough. 

It's just kind of strange that others have not had the same experience, so maybe there was something wrong with the ones you got.

It's interesting that sometimes the same gear can sound better than others. Probably just to do with what mood you are in that day. Certainly makes it hard to judge things like this. Even the time it takes to change strings things can change. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11910
    tFB Trader
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:

I use Roto Blues 10-52 and buy in tens - I use the Bigsby on both my Dynasonic equipped Tele and my Gretsch 5420 extensively and 10-52 gives a better 'feel' and resistance. I also use the odd D'Addario XL 140 10-52 ... as I have a bunch of them about. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

KevS said:
    Kurtis said:
    KevS said:
    Kurtis said:

I use Roto Blues 10-52 and buy in tens - I use the Bigsby on both my Dynasonic equipped Tele and my Gretsch 5420 extensively and 10-52 gives a better 'feel' and resistance. I also use the odd D'Addario XL 140 10-52 ... as I have a bunch of them about. 
    Different Gauges..I use 11 to 49 on my Gretsch 5422..D'Addario,,just started to experiment with a plain 18 for a G..I was using a wound G..

• LitterickLitterick Frets: 740
    Jazz guitarists pay huge amounts for Thomastik-Infeld strings and then complain about them constantly. I pay much less for Rotosounds and have no complaints.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3586
    They do seem to last well, considering: gig #4 on a set tomorrow night ;)
    Didn't even bother to wipe down last night; thinking they'd be getting changed today...but they're still good!

To be continued...
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 798
    Ok, I re-tried some daddarrios - 10.5s Vs Roto 'red' 11s on other guitars.

Back to back Jazzmaster testing and the Rotosound strings are definitely less bright and I think I prefer the daddarrios - they came through clearer on all strings. The Rotosound strings were louder though and had more low end. 

I think I like the daddarrios and the 10.5s are a bit easier to bend but don't feel significantly different to 11s. 
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    I have to admit, part of the reason I play Rotos is because people seem to passionately hate them. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    euan said:
    I have to admit, part of the reason I play Rotos is because people seem to passionately hate them. 
     =)

And they are British old chap! 
    Amstrad were British too,if they made strings I wouldn't have played them..
    Not comparing Amstrad with Rotosound..

Does anybody remember They were in a Black and White pack..Student electric guitar strings,they were the cheapest available..I had a friend who used and broke them all the time..
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25074
    Now that I think about it, I've never tried Rotosounds, unless perhaps there was a pack free with one of the guitar mags.  I've tried Fender, Gibson, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball, Kahler (when they were briefly available), but then it's been D'Addario for 35+ years.