Michael Mosley gone missing in Greece.

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1843
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don't be so obtuse.  Yes, it's the shitbag Sun, but the reporter has a point.  .....presuming you bothered to watch it before passing judgement.
    Nope, I won't give them the views.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7330
    Emp let it go mate , whether you are right or wrong it doesn’t matter . The guy has died and I can’t see the point of turning this into another Emp v whoever thread
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12506
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don't be so obtuse.  Yes, it's the shitbag Sun, but the reporter has a point.  .....presuming you bothered to watch it before passing judgement.
    I'm afraid I wouldn't read a word from that roll of arse-wipe, let alone believe it.

Sorry Emp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1843
    Emp let it go mate , whether you are right or wrong it doesn’t matter . The guy has died and I can’t see the point of turning this into another Emp v whoever thread
    This is the correct response really.

The whole thing is very sad.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7713
    I often feel humbled in the presence of somebody that has such a wealth of expert experience in so many fields and is always able to suggest far superior ways of doing things ...... after the event.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12506
    edited June 10
    ^^ Someone else with a bulge in one cheek  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2447
    boogieman said:
    beed84 said:
    Tragic news. On reflection, I guess this highlights the usefulness and importance of having our mobile phones on us, especially in foreign countries, and despite how much we might despise them at times. No doubt this will forever haunt his wife and family. RIP Michael.
    If he died of heat exhaustion, which sounds the most likely thing to have happened, I’m not sure he’d be in any condition to use his phone? I suppose the search teams might have been able to pinpoint his phone to find him if he had it on him? 

Sad news though, his family must be distraught. 
    I know what you mean. I was thinking more along the lines of him being contactable and traceable, and that he or his wife had the means of making contact with one another prior to things going awry. I know you can share your location with others using iPhones, so knowing your loved ones whereabouts in foreign land would be beneficial and reassuring. Either way, with modern technology, we can perhaps take precautions and preventative measures to help keep us more safe rather than wandering off into the unknown and assume that you are.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7710
    edited June 10
    I was trying to work out what it was that I don't like about some of the stuff in this thread - indeed at one point Emp challenged someone to explain why they thought what they thought and notwithstanding that seeming a bit one sided a challenge it did make me wonder WHY I was getting 'the ick' about some of it. 

Seeing the thumbnail of a Sun long-lens shot helped - it's partly the 'ok this thing has happened to now there are no bounds of taste or decency about what we delve in to' - it reminded me of that situation in the UK (was it up north somewhere) where the woman went missing from near a river, and loads of social media folks swarmed the topic with confidently expressed made up theories on what must have happened. Even going so far as to turn up and question locals. 

Even just on our little thread there are assumptions and criticisms stated confidently and bluntly. It's just *ick*. 

That a thread exists isn't surprising or unusual - it's a noteworthy thing that sparks thoughts and concerns, but the armchair Sherlocking and critique at a distance is a bit, well, 'The Sun'. imo. 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15844
    looks like natural causes so far, so let's hope that puts to bed some of the more lurid, and baseless, speculation. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
    Your thoughts are very valid, but even with the woman in the river one, it was far from just the Sun and the fretboard.  It was everyone, the BBC, the Independent and the Times, and every other non-guitar forum too.  People just do this when they don’t know the answer and hypothesise
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 356
    edited June 10
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
    So basically you're mostly refusing to consider an opinion as valid because a) it's something I've said and b) despite the same point being raised by several others in the media (including Greeks) the fact that it also happened to be expressed by a reporter from The Sun - you're not going to listen to it.

That's some unbiased objective consideration of the situation!  Well done! 

I'm not going to attempt to argue the point further - it's rather difficult when people have their fingers in their ears.

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7215
    Well said. Everyone should have an opinion, even if they don't want one.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14743
    Emp_Fab said:
    I'm baffled as to why it seems that not one person walked the perimeter of the fence in three days of search teams scouring that very headland
    Why? Normal human habit.

Permit me to explain, using myself as an example.

From the front door of the block of flats where I live to the garage where I park my car is a fifty yards walk. I look upon the front of my garage at least twice a day.

My garage is second along from one end of a conjoined line of eight. To view the rear of my garage, I have to walk a further twenty yards. Usually, when I get there, little has changed. The path might be slightly more overgrown. Once, I discovered some fly-tipped furniture. Despite the effort involved being minimal, there is very little incentive to expend even thirty seconds to take a look … so, I rarely bother.

No malice or wanton neglect involved. Just indifference based on the repeated experience that there is unlikely to be anything novel to require my attention.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5321
    Emp_Fab said:
    So basically you're mostly refusing to consider an opinion as valid because a) it's something I've said and b) despite the same point being raised by several others in the media (including Greeks) the fact that it also happened to be expressed by a reporter from The Sun - you're not going to listen to it.

I'm not going to attempt to argue the point further - it's rather difficult when people have their fingers in their ears.

@Emp_Fab why on earth do you have to bring all this shite into a thread about a man who died in tragic circumstances, this is the kind of armchair speculation that is at the level f ambulance chasers in the legal profession

so maybe for once stop typing 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Emp_Fab said:
    So basically you're mostly refusing to consider an opinion as valid because a) it's something I've said and b) despite the same point being raised by several others in the media (including Greeks) the fact that it also happened to be expressed by a reporter from The Sun - you’re not going to listen to it. 
    Pretty much, yes. 
     ;) 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7713
    I think it's about high time this thread was closed.  It was created with good intentions but Emp_Fab has, in his usual style, attempted to usurp it and use it as yet another "why won't anybody listen to me?" thread.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    Emp_Fab said:

FFS. I get it’s your MO to excitedly tell other people what they are saying or thinking (whatever it is they are actually saying) and set off at 100mph from there but Jesus it’s tiresome. 

I have been careful to say only what I think and feel about the thing. I haven’t at any point said it’s intended as an unbiased objective ‘truth’ about whatever anyone else should do, say, or think. I found it interesting to realise that I DID have feelings about it, and had been pondering why that was or where it might come from. Such insight as I got into my own thoughts I then shared. 

It sounds like me having an opinion that’s different from yours has made you angry. 
    Red ones are better. 
    Screw it- ignore list - population 1 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom