New PRS SE Narrowfield

What's Hot

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3534
    Boring and ugly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PALPAL Frets: 566
    Another winner. The SE NF53 can't be far off !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AlunAlun Frets: 126
    Nice to see something a bit different in the SE line for once. Really like the look of these but not sure I can justify buying one, sadly!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1814
    As a PRS fan I find a certain Irony in the SE version of this as I remember PRS with all their Strat variants over the years moaning a little at one of his meet and greet events no matter how good a Strat style guitar we make nobody really gets them. Well until the Silver Sky LOL

I really liked the NF3 and there is some great shots of Jimmy Herring playing one at the factory and I like those pickups. A different flavour to traditional single coils. 

So may have to go on the Christmas list 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2477
    The first demo I saw of this was the video of Paul himself where he makes a big fuss about "these don't sound *like* a single coil - this is just a single coil sound".

Proceeds to play and it doesn't sound like a single coil.
    Tim
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2458
    edited June 19
    You'll all be kicking yourselves for not buying my non-birds Core model for £875 back in September 2015 now - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/49968/sold-prs-nf-3/p1

I wish I'd never let that one go with hindsight, one of many, but I did manage to plug the gap with a nice sunburst, rosewood neck model a couple of years back, the third one I've owned.  Great guitars, a Swiss army knife for the covers band player.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2354
    Interesting release. I can see them being £599 by Xmas!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7217
    The bridge saddles look all over the place in this official photo.

Well wonky!

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    edited June 19
    stonevibe said:
    The bridge saddles look all over the place in this official photo.

Well wonky!

The bridge doesn't look like its been fitted straight to my eye. 

Huge bugbear of mine and I've had to return a couple of Far Eastern made guitars because of this, and a US Fender Cabronita Tele.  Once you see it you can't unsee it.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Just thinking out aloud here but does anyone else get the feeling that Paul is setting up the business in readiness for his retirement? The SE and S2 lines will both happily function without much input from him and that is where they seem to be concentrating their energies just producing SE versions of older models. The Core guitars are pretty much set up and even he said that the Custom had gone as far as he could take it. Just a thought. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12062
    Strat54 said:
    Just thinking out aloud here but does anyone else get the feeling that Paul is setting up the business in readiness for his retirement? The SE and S2 lines will both happily function without much input from him and that is where they seem to be concentrating their energies just producing SE versions of older models. The Core guitars are pretty much set up and even he said that the Custom had gone as far as he could take it. Just a thought. 
    No doubt it has crossed his mind.  It's only natural to think about what he is going to leave behind and put in place things that will keep the company going the best that he can.  

As for the guitar, not for me, I mean it's nice to have more options but I don't think this is it.  It is very hard to get away from a Fender Mex Strat for this kind of money as your 1st Strat IMO.
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1172

It is very hard to get away from a Fender Mex Strat for this kind of money as your 1st Strat IMO.
    I bet I can guess which will be the better guitar.
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 353
    They developed the SE bolt on for the Silver Sky and by golly they’re going to squeeze every drop of extra revenue out of it they can :lol: kind of curious but was bit underwhelmed by the Ewald demo and he normally makes everything sound brilliant 
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1010
    Anyone actually seen one?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    I loved the two SE silver Skys I had. The neck was fantastic and the pickups were great if a tad polite. 
    They both had to go as they hurt my shoulder. If after surgery I get the improvement I hope for then one of these could do me nicely. 
    I’ve owned loads of EG’s over the years but the necks on those were very unstable. These with their different heel would be great. 
    I’d wait till Christmas mind and get one for £599. 
    Either blue or orange with a maple neck for me. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9619
    Strat54 said:
    They’re certainly not innovating as they were.
    Last time they did something new was the tci pickups. 5 years ago maybe?
    Yes I know there have been new models, but they aren’t bringing anything new to the party and often relaunching old ideas.
  • Tall_martinTall_martin Frets: 233
    Strat54 said:
    No doubt it has crossed his mind.  It's only natural to think about what he is going to leave behind and put in place things that will keep the company going the best that he can.  

As for the guitar, not for me, I mean it's nice to have more options but I don't think this is it.  It is very hard to get away from a Fender Mex Strat for this kind of money as your 1st Strat IMO

He seems quite happy controling everything. Each new thing comes from him. From his public persona, he IS PRS. No named master builders, the super fancy guitars are sometimes signed by him- not the person who actually made it.

I think he will be in control in some form of PRS until death or dementia.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    For those of you who are interested, Trogly has just posted a review of one.  I do like that metallic orange finish and it looks better in his video than it does in the pics posted earlier in this thread.  I also think it sounded pretty good too but I cannot do that headstock!  

Offset said:
    I also think it sounded pretty good too but I cannot do that headstock!  
    What sort of headstock would like right on a PRS do you think @Offset?

After all these years I think they'd look silly with anything else personally.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    StefB said:
    Offset said:
    I also think it sounded pretty good too but I cannot do that headstock!  
    What sort of headstock would like right on a PRS do you think @Offset?

After all these years I think they'd look silly with anything else personally.
    Here goes, but don't expect logic :-)

A three-a-side headstock looks completely wrong on a Strat body to me I'm afraid.  I just cannot get my head around it and it would grate every time I looked at it.  Yes, it's PRS's trademark look and I can accept it on their other models - but not a Strat-esque one.