New PRS SE Narrowfield

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    I don't hate the headstock, but prefer Fender & Gibson designs in general (mostly body ergonomics than headstock-specific). I do wish they'd sell the pickups separately so I could build a Strat with them. 

That said it's rekindled my idea for a Strat with firebird pickups so...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 281
    I don't hate the headstock, but prefer Fender & Gibson designs in general (mostly body ergonomics than headstock-specific). I do wish they'd sell the pickups separately so I could build a Strat with them. 

I would like to be able to buy the PUPs separately as well as I'm thinking of modding my DGT SE to incorporate a middle PUP.. a la the PRS Core semi hollow special. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12563

What a great idea...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Offset said:

What a great idea...
    I think so. I"ve had it on the backburner for several years but never got around to it. 

I'm tied between a PAF in the bridge vs regular firebird, and 2x pickups or 3x, or maybe even a stealth middle pickup, but I suspect that wouldn't work very well. 

I need to have a chat with a tame pickup builder or 2... 
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 355
    chris78 said:
    Strat54 said:
    Just thinking out aloud here but does anyone else get the feeling that Paul is setting up the business in readiness for his retirement? The SE and S2 lines will both happily function without much input from him and that is where they seem to be concentrating their energies just producing SE versions of older models. The Core guitars are pretty much set up and even he said that the Custom had gone as far as he could take it. Just a thought. 
    They’re certainly not innovating as they were.
    Last time they did something new was the tci pickups. 5 years ago maybe?
    Yes I know there have been new models, but they aren’t bringing anything new to the party and often relaunching old ideas.
    They came out with tone improving tuning pegs (toning pegs?) earlier this year…
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    chris78 said:
    Strat54 said:
    Just thinking out aloud here but does anyone else get the feeling that Paul is setting up the business in readiness for his retirement? The SE and S2 lines will both happily function without much input from him and that is where they seem to be concentrating their energies just producing SE versions of older models. The Core guitars are pretty much set up and even he said that the Custom had gone as far as he could take it. Just a thought. 
    Yes I know there have been new models, but they aren’t bringing anything new to the party and often relaunching old ideas.
    Don’t forget they also invented the Stratocaster as recently as 2018!! 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7791
    carlos said:
    Boring and ugly
    It doesn’t look THAT much like a Strat does it? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19543
    ;)

Specsavers driver crashes company car into lamppost  Daily Mail Online
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 281
    ;)

Specsavers driver crashes company car into lamppost  Daily Mail Online
    ROTFLMAO 
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    chris78 said:
    Strat54 said:
    Don’t forget they also invented the Stratocaster as recently as 2018!! 

PRS really do give that impression, I'm actually shocked that they haven't done a clone of the Telecaster yet, they seem to be a brand that's only innovation is to ''vagazzle'' other companies iconic designs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19543
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Give it a few years and PRS will be releasing clones of V's, Explorers, Firebirds, and probably all of Fender's offsets.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12563

PRS really do give that impression, I'm actually shocked that they haven't done a clone of the Telecaster yet...
    Errrm... they have.
    Offset said:

PRS really do give that impression, I'm actually shocked that they haven't done a clone of the Telecaster yet...
    Errrm... they have.

So has been pointed out to me, my point still stands though, out of every guitar model that has ever held the PRS logo, almost none of them are designs original to or in fact outright designed by PRS, instead it's other brands iconic designs that PRS have basically ''vagazzled''.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 207
    Love the orange ones. Not sure if the maple fretboard edges it but overall a neat evolution from the Silver Sky. I've seen a few of the videos now and really like them. Would I pick this over a DGT SE though? I know they're significantly different guitars but I think I only can swing one more before the "sell one to buy one" mantra kicks in. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5523
    edited June 19
    Offset said:

What a great idea...
    I think so. I"ve had it on the backburner for several years but never got around to it. 

I'm tied between a PAF in the bridge vs regular firebird, and 2x pickups or 3x, or maybe even a stealth middle pickup, but I suspect that wouldn't work very well. 

I’ve got a Strat here with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbucker in the bridge position and an Antiquity Firebird in the neck. It’s one of my cold-dead-hands and maybe even “in the coffin” guitars. Sublime *everything* but the clean tones on the neck are particularly sweet. 
    Whitecat said:
    Offset said:

What a great idea...

I’ve got a Strat here with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbucker in the bridge position and an Antiquity Firebird in the neck. It’s one of my cold-dead-hands and maybe even “in the coffin” guitars. Sublime *everything* but the clean tones on the neck are particularly sweet. 
    @whitecat Awesome! In that case, may I direct you to my other thread and request pics? :D :D 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3903056#Comment_3903056
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 484
    edited June 20
    Funnily enough Mayer has played an original NF3 on stage a few times. I quite like it in black.

Alex Lifeson also pulled one out for a few songs on the Time Machine tour

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5228
    Funnily enough Mayer has played an original NF3 on stage a few times. I quite like it in black.

I'm sure it's just a trick of lighting and perspective, but it makes it look like John Mayer is either eight feet tall (he's 6'3" or thereabouts) or playing a toy guitar.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• stevehsteveh Frets: 253
    chris78 said: They’re certainly not innovating as they were.
    Surely you're forgetting about the new plastic machinehead buttons that completely change the tone?! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom