ADHD - Boredom threshold

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    That's a lot of condensed milk, even for me!

I liked the coffee in Singapore. It made my teeth buzz. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    Sporky said:
    That's a lot of condensed milk, even for me!

I liked the coffee in Singapore. It made my teeth buzz. 
    Kopi?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    I think so (having looked it up). Ta! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    I have an appointment on 25th July for my ADHD assessment, 7 months since I filled in the right to choose forms. I think that's pretty good going.

I think my biggest fear is being told I haven't got it and I'm just a massive fuckup =)

But if that is the case then oh well, I've got to 52 so far. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 949
    The best bit about a diagnosis is getting to take 300mg of slow release speed every day & tell everyone the doctor told you to.

Usually a great start to the month. The three-week comedown with nothing to take the edge off can get a little hairy, admittedly. But thems the breaks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    The best bit about a diagnosis is getting to take 300mg of slow release speed every day & tell everyone the doctor told you to.

Usually a great start to the month. The three-week comedown with nothing to take the edge off can get a little hairy, admittedly. But thems the breaks.
    So you dont take it every day?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    Sporky said:

Apparently 5 espresso in a big mug before breakfast and then a couple of filter machine jugs worth through the day isn’t the best way to deal with it…
    I had to stop drinking coffee. I was having a six-cup Moka pot in a mug with condensed milk at breakfast. It turned out that was causing 80% or so of my travel anxiety.
    With condensed milk you say?

I might try that.
    It's the norm in Vietnam and Cambodia 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    I thought I might have a bit of ADHD because I can never focus on getting things done around the house ,focus on them or finish them .
    My wife diagnosed me .........apparently it's called Lazy Slob

That was a joke. I take 50mg a day. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386

I had my prescription approved on Friday, so will be starting on 30mg later this week
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I had my prescription approved on Friday, so will be starting on 30mg later this week
    That’s awesome news! The first few days can be tricky with side effects, but it soon passes & you should be able to assess whether it helps v quickly. 

Feel free to drop me a message if there’s anything you want to know
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    @Revolutions - thank you, that’s very kind. Aye, I’m a little cautious, but also cautiously optimistic - will see how it goes :)
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1162
    edited July 25
    I've just been started on Lisdexamfetamine 30mg. For the 2nd time. 

Just took one.

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic too, even though I have very little confidence in the Dr I've been seeing and tbh think that the whole process has been...well...a bit haphazard. 
    And I don't use words like that lightly BTW!

There's so much we haven't talked about. I go to see the doc once in a blue moon, then before I know it I'm leaving again before really talking about anything. Even if I had an hour, an afternoon, it wouldn't be anywhere near enough time to explain very complex feelings that I really don't understand and am not able to explain to myself never mind some stranger in 5mins.The questionnaires my dad and me filled out just seemed very fallible. Seems to be lots of guessing, assuming, and fudging things together to get the answers they want. 
    Just me? 

Anyway, saying all that, got nothing to loose. The antidepressants I've been taking for years have maybe leveled my mood slightly but turned me into a fat tired and grumpy old womp womp. 

If nothing else I'm going to get back in shape, so I can do stuff with my son without soaking my clothes with sweat from my moobs, and feeling like crying. 

Going for a bike ride with him this afternoon!

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2802
    edited July 26
    I've lost 10kg in the last few months.

I just stopped eating during the day and had a meal in the evening, but not loads of shit food.

Feeling a bit peckish at first isn't hard to deal with and you are quite unlikely to die from it. Just tell yourself you have plenty of fat to burn!

Now I find my stomach has shrunk and I don't want to eat during the day. I just have tea, coffee or water.

I have plenty of energy still.

Eating three meals a day seems to be more of a habit than a necessity.
    edited July 26
    Kurtis said:

Just took one.

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic too, even though I have very little confidence in the Dr I've been seeing and tbh think that the whole process has been...well...a bit haphazard. 

There's so much we haven't talked about. I go to see the doc once in a blue moon, then before I know it I'm leaving again before really talking about anything. Even if I had an hour, an afternoon, it wouldn't be anywhere near enough time to explain very complex feelings that I really don't understand and am not able to explain to myself never mind some stranger in 5mins.The questionnaires my dad and me filled out just seemed very fallible. Seems to be lots of guessing, assuming, and fudging things together to get the answers they want. 
    Just me? 

Anyway, saying all that, got nothing to loose. The antidepressants I've been taking for years have maybe leveled my mood slightly but turned me into a fat tired and grumpy old womp womp. 

If nothing else I'm going to get back in shape, so I can do stuff with my son without soaking my clothes with sweat from my moobs, and feeling like crying. 

That sounds pretty crappy. Did you go through NHS, or private?

Even with a longstanding diagnosis I saw the psychiatrist for an hour each time. Had 1 session to review my diagnosis before 3 more during the medication testing. And we do a yearly catch up.
    Adey said:

I just stopped eating during the day and had a meal in the evening, but not loads of shit food.

Feeling a bit peckish at first isn't hard to deal with and you are quite unlikely to die from it. Just tell yourself you have plenty of fat to burn!

Now I find my stomach has shrunk and I don't want to eat during the day. I just have tea, coffee or water.

This is cool! Are you pleased with how you’re
    feeling as well as losing the weight & still having energy?
    edited July 26
    Adey said:

Well done!

I'm not actually that bad. I've been at the low end of health bmi my whole life, but since I started the antidepressants I've been gradually getting a belly and can't be bothered doing anything about it. Have developed a sweet tooth which I never had. 
    Before I started them I was probably actually the fittest and healthiest I'd ever been. Few years later and I just feel like a big sluggish fart!

Been a bit up and down so far with meds. Hopefully level out a bit soon. 

edited July 26
    Kurtis said:

Just took one.

Just me? 

That sounds pretty crappy. Did you go through NHS, or private?

Even with a longstanding diagnosis I saw the psychiatrist for an hour each time. Had 1 session to review my diagnosis before 3 more during the medication testing. And we do a yearly catch up.
    Both actually. 

I was originally diagnosed privately through a friend of the family. 
    Just had that reviewed by an NHS doctor now too. 

The private guy was OK for spending a bit of time when I seen him tbf. Although I was a bit cynical about him for other reasons I have to say. 

Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not trying to belittle the seriousness of the illness, quite the opposite, but I do feel we have a long way to go with regard to diagnosis and treatment for all mental health issues. It's such a complex and personal thing and it's very nature, paired with already highly flawed and fallible human beings, makes it very difficult to get the best treatment for you.

Just like the way you answer a question can probably vary several times a day never mind over years of treatment and there's lots of different things can affect how any treatment might work.
    It can take a while for medications to be effective, then there can be serious side effects/withdrawal, sleep can get effected...you can start to forget what you felt like to begin with! 

It's a long journey. 
    Adey said:

This is cool! Are you pleased with how you’re
    feeling as well as losing the weight & still having energy?
    No problems at all really. Just have to realise that you aren't actually hungry really during the day, That is just the feeling you get when you're burning up lard...!

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Kurtis said:
    Adey said:

Well done!

I'm not actually that bad. I've been at the low end of health bmi my whole life, but since I started the antidepressants I've been gradually getting a belly and can't be bothered doing anything about it. Have developed a sweet tooth which I never had. 
    Before I started them I was probably actually the fittest and healthiest I'd ever been. Few years later and I just feel like a big sluggish fart!

Been a bit up and down so far with meds. Hopefully level out a bit soon. 

I'm probably lucky that I've never had problems with depression or other similar issues, but they do say that exercise is one of the best things to do to boost you mood.

Get on the bike!

I used to love my mountain biking, but broke too many bits due to "over-enthusiasm".... :-(

:-)