ADHD - Boredom threshold

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 782
    Kurtis said:
    Kurtis said:
    I've just been started on Lisdexamfetamine 30mg. For the 2nd time. 

Just took one.

I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic too, even though I have very little confidence in the Dr I've been seeing and tbh think that the whole process has been...well...a bit haphazard. 
    And I don't use words like that lightly BTW!

There's so much we haven't talked about. I go to see the doc once in a blue moon, then before I know it I'm leaving again before really talking about anything. Even if I had an hour, an afternoon, it wouldn't be anywhere near enough time to explain very complex feelings that I really don't understand and am not able to explain to myself never mind some stranger in 5mins.The questionnaires my dad and me filled out just seemed very fallible. Seems to be lots of guessing, assuming, and fudging things together to get the answers they want. 
    Just me? 

Anyway, saying all that, got nothing to loose. The antidepressants I've been taking for years have maybe leveled my mood slightly but turned me into a fat tired and grumpy old womp womp. 

If nothing else I'm going to get back in shape, so I can do stuff with my son without soaking my clothes with sweat from my moobs, and feeling like crying. 

Going for a bike ride with him this afternoon!

That sounds pretty crappy. Did you go through NHS, or private?

Even with a longstanding diagnosis I saw the psychiatrist for an hour each time. Had 1 session to review my diagnosis before 3 more during the medication testing. And we do a yearly catch up.
    Both actually. 

I was originally diagnosed privately through a friend of the family. 
    Just had that reviewed by an NHS doctor now too. 

The private guy was OK for spending a bit of time when I seen him tbf. Although I was a bit cynical about him for other reasons I have to say. 

Don't get me wrong I'm certainly not trying to belittle the seriousness of the illness, quite the opposite, but I do feel we have a long way to go with regard to diagnosis and treatment for all mental health issues. It's such a complex and personal thing and it's very nature, paired with already highly flawed and fallible human beings, makes it very difficult to get the best treatment for you.

Just like the way you answer a question can probably vary several times a day never mind over years of treatment and there's lots of different things can affect how any treatment might work.
    It can take a while for medications to be effective, then there can be serious side effects/withdrawal, sleep can get effected...you can start to forget what you felt like to begin with! 

It's a long journey. 
    Treating adhd is pretty low impact, so I’d imagine if a doctor has a high workload it can become a bit transactional.

Serious side effects from 30mg Elvanse with an adult are v rare. And the drug is in & out of your system in 24 hours, so it’s usually a case of “stop taking them” if any adverse symptoms. Then it’s a case of has it reduced anxiety/do you feel calmer/are behaviours less impulsive/whatever the goal is once you’re a few weeks in. I guess the rest is for your GP or therapist to worry about, sadly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 1089
    Dominic said:
    I thought I might have a bit of ADHD because I can never focus on getting things done around the house ,focus on them or finish them .
    My wife diagnosed me .........apparently it's called Lazy Slob
    Yep, that's what it was called when I went to school!   ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KurtisKurtis Frets: 1038
    Thank God things have moved on! 
    Yo momma's on the crack rock!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27830
    edited July 28
    Timcito said:
    Dominic said:
    I thought I might have a bit of ADHD because I can never focus on getting things done around the house ,focus on them or finish them .
    My wife diagnosed me .........apparently it's called Lazy Slob
    Yep, that's what it was called when I went to school!   
    ADMIN NOTE: Be careful there, please. There's a significant contingent of autistic and ADHD people on here, and you're awfully close to saying something so insensitive that it'll get you time in the cooler.
    <space for hire>
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2694
    edited July 28
    People do have the right to be offended themselves.

You can be offended on others behalf too.

But, although people may not agree with what someone says, they ought to defend the person's right to say it, to coin a phrase...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom