Portillo moments 2024

What's Hot
Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4772
Any particular Portillo moments you are looking forward/hoping for in the up and coming election.
For me it has to be Liz Truss and Braverman.
And there is a slim chance per the most recent MRP polls
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15985
    mostly just looking forwards to reform yet again not gaining one solitary seat, then spending the next 5 years trolling reform supporters. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9835
    Rees-Mogg? I’ll have my alarm set for where I grew up (Ynys Môn), there’s a great chance that the parachuted in Tory who is funded by London interests will be gone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 422
    Dr Therese Coffey, my disgusting 'Local MP'
    Burn, Witch Burn...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    I've discovered that the loathsome reptile who represented my constituency stood down on May 30th after a boundary change.  Our rather charming LD candidate, Roz Savage, knocked on our door today and I happily told her she'd be getting both our votes and wished her well.  I think she stands a good chance of displacing the Tories.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2674
    I don't think any of the Tories at serious risk of losing their seats will generate as much schadenfreude as Portillo did.  Hunt seems to be the "biggest beast" in the crosshairs but he strikes me as a guy nobody much likes but nobody much hates either.  Braverman or Rees-Mogg would be pleasing but seem unlikely.  I actually think Truss is incapable of being humiliated, she's already endured worse than losing her seat without it denting her sense of herself as the saviour of the Western world.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 320
    Keir Starmer losing his seat to Andrew Feinstein! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1543
    Where do i start...
    Gullis - 43 lab plays 29 for gullis. if he had a hole in the top of his head, he would be a complete prick. Satans smegma.
    Andrea jenkyns. - 42 lab plays 34 AJ. World class fuckwit. Same DNA as dorries. Disgrace to women.
    Rees Mogg. - The twat in the hat. Fuck right off
    Truss - Same DNA as jenkyns. Do i really need to explain. Might not happen, but fingers crossed.
    Johnny Mercer - From the gullis school of torys. Utter cunt. On track to get kicked out.
    Praful Nargund - corbyns seat, Corbyn shoudl win.
    Sunak - prob best of tory PMs of last 14 yrs ironically. But its the perfect nail in the coffin. Just piss off. 

Cant wait to see some of these shitsters squirm.

Dont worry, be silly.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29407
    edited June 22
    swiller said:

Sunak - prob best of tory PMs of last 14 yrs ironically.  

And yet that's still (appropriately) an insult to Sunak. D
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    I don't think any of the Tories at serious risk of losing their seats will generate as much schadenfreude as Portillo did.  Hunt seems to be the "biggest beast" in the crosshairs but he strikes me as a guy nobody much likes but nobody much hates either.  Braverman or Rees-Mogg would be pleasing but seem unlikely.  I actually think Truss is incapable of being humiliated, she's already endured worse than losing her seat without it denting her sense of herself as the saviour of the Western world.
    Truss just needs to be out of Parliament.  She's Trump with charlies.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1543
    Quite right sporks.
    I hope penny mordaunt doesnt lose hers because she is quite saucy, would hold her own vs starmer and does sign language and stuff.

Dont worry, be silly.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2674
    Offset said:
    Truss just needs to be out of Parliament.  She's Trump with charlies.

I think the thing about Truss is that, seen from her own perspective, life is good.  She's the public face (or one of the public faces) of right-wing think tanks funded heavily by the mega rich.  That pretty much ensures she'll become very wealthy herself, and will live among the rich and powerful here and in America.  Yeah, the spell as PM was a disaster but even though she failed she failed trying to do what her sponsors had advised her to do so they are not holding a grudge.  She will basically be thinking that for a girl from a fairly modest background she's done incredibly well for herself.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28220
    swiller said:
    Sunak - prob best of tory PMs of last 14 yrs ironically. But its the perfect nail in the coffin. Just piss off. 

I have him down as a competent administrator.  Certainly not a motivational, inspiring, first-over-the-top leader.

The Tories should get totally mullered this time around, so I'm eagerly anticipating fond farewells to quite a few of the trough-snufflers.  Our constituency looks like a realistically possible Green win (the area having been steadfastly blue since colours were invented).

Unless Labour completely implode (Ms Abbot, I'm looking at you) when in power, the Tories will need a complete reinvention before they next become electable.  They'll probably reform right first, and get stuffed again (and again) before someone reads a political history book and says "hey look, the Conservative party used to be viewed as competent, trustworthy, centrist, look-after-the-country chaps (there were no chapesses back then), maybe we should try that again".

There may well be one or two good politicans in there somewhere (and Mordaunt would get my vote too), but they're all tarred with the same self-interested, money-grabbing, corrupt, incompetent perception that even the old Eton Boys probably despise (not because the Eton Boys were fundamentally different, just that they were far cleverer at hiding it).

I'd love a professional politician class.  Not a bunch of money-grabbers who - to be fair - either need to grab the money because an MP's base salary is ridiculously low for the job (that they should be doing) or because "grab the money" is the family motto that's been in their genes since William conquered wherever.  But a group of professional administrators who understood what needs doing and how to get it done, free of right/left dogma and don't have to fear the next interest-group funded popularity poll.  They'd be there to run the country for the benefit and protection of the population, not to win a popularity contest (because only idiots vote in popularity contests, and idiots shouldn't be allowed to influence the running of the country).

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    swiller said:
    Quite right sporks.
    I hope penny mordaunt doesnt lose hers because she is quite saucy, would hold her own vs starmer and does sign language and stuff.

Already has a record for telling massive lies and is recognisable to the public as the woman with the sword so as long as she keeps her seat an absolute shoe in for next Tory party leader. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19791
    TTony said:
    swiller said:

I have him down as a competent administrator. Definitely an uninspiring, first to be running away from the front to a TV interview type leader. 

The Tories should get totally mullered this time around, so I'm eagerly anticipating fond farewells to quite a few of the trough-snufflers.  Our constituency looks like a realistically possible Green win (the area having been steadfastly blue since colours were invented).

Unless Labour completely implode (Ms Abbot, I'm looking at you) when in power, the Tories will need a complete reinvention before they next become electable.  They'll probably reform right first, and get stuffed again (and again) before someone reads a political history book and says "hey look, the Conservative party used to be viewed as competent, trustworthy, centrist, look-after-the-country chaps (there were no chapesses back then), maybe we should try that again".

There may well be one or two good politicans in there somewhere (and Mordaunt would get my vote too), but they're all tarred with the same self-interested, money-grabbing, corrupt, incompetent perception that even the old Eton Boys probably despise (not because the Eton Boys were fundamentally different, just that they were far cleverer at hiding it).

I'd love a professional politician class.  Not a bunch of money-grabbers who - to be fair - either need to grab the money because an MP's base salary is ridiculously low for the job (that they should be doing) or because "grab the money" is the family motto that's been in their genes since William conquered wherever.  But a group of professional administrators who understood what needs doing and how to get it done, free of right/left dogma and don't have to fear the next interest-group funded popularity poll.  They'd be there to run the country for the benefit and protection of the population, not to win a popularity contest (because only idiots vote in popularity contests, and idiots shouldn't be allowed to influence the running of the country).

FTFY (or maybe just me).
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 800
    edited June 23
    I'm happy to take quantity over quality this time around.  The more Tory tears the better. Hopefully they end up with fewer than 100 seats and are destroyed as a viable political party.  Then,  extend the franchise to 16-17yr olds, bring in PR, and never again have to suffer the pocket lining greed, cruelty,  and utter incompetence that is the conservative party. 

Count Binface beating Sunak would be fitting and funny mind you.  Let's take out the trash!
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    edited June 23
    shouldn’t this be moved to the Politics section? then it wouldn’t appear in my feed. Thanks
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    If they all loose their seats that will be one hell of a lot of problems about travelling by train across XYZ
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3093
    edited June 23
    Funny when you look back on stuff.  The Portillo moment was great fun, but with the benefit of hindsight, I’d bite your arm off for him as an MP again…. Along with Ken Clarke and the likes of Heseltine.   Hell, I’d even have Cameron and Osbourne over the past two or three prime ministers.  

And I’ve never voted Tory in my lifetime.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Dr_NecessiterDr_Necessiter Frets: 357
    Definitely Jeremy Corbyn. 
    "I've got the moobs like Jabba".
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24199
    Dorries has already gone... any chance Mark Francois will lose his seat?