Portillo moments 2024

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Offset said:
    Definitely Jeremy Corbyn. 
    Oh yes.  Horrible cnut who gave us Johnson, Truss and Sunak.
    With more votes than last weeks supposed 'landslide'? ok.
    So large popular vote for Labour and still fucked up the election. I'd have thought that was just evidence of his incompetence as party leader.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    edited July 8
    Offset said:
    crunchman said:

If Corbyn had still been leader, any Labour majority would be much smaller, and we might even be looking at a hung Parliament.
    If Corbyn had still been leader, we'd still have Sunak in No. 10.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far given how unpopular the Tories have made themselves.

The big reason he lost in 2019 was Labour refusing to commit on Brexit, and Farage's mob, whatever they were called at the time, standing down in a large number of Tory constituencies.  This time around, those factors were no longer present.

I think we would most likely be in hung Parliament territory if he had still been leading Labour.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5245
    crunchman said:

It wouldn't just be the increased Tory vote with Corbyn in charge.  Labour would have lost votes.  In 2019, there were some North London constituencies with high Jewish populations where Labour got an estimated 7% of the Jewish vote.  This time they got 40%.  They wouldn't have got those additional votes with Corbyn in charge, and the Tories would have held those seats.  The effect would be smaller elsewhere without the large Jewish population, but there were definitely people who wouldn't countenance voting Labour with Corbyn in charge who voted for them this time.

Conversely, Labour lost significant support in heavily muslim constituencies this time round because of Starmer's stance on Gaza. Wes Streeting, Jess Phillips and several others got re-elected by the skin of their teeth, while Jonathan Ashworth lost his seat in Leicester to a pro-Palestinian independent. That wouldn't have happened under Corbyn.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2674
    edited July 8
    crunchman said:
    Offset said:
    crunchman said:

If Corbyn had still been leader, any Labour majority would be much smaller, and we might even be looking at a hung Parliament.
    If Corbyn had still been leader, we'd still have Sunak in No. 10.
    I'm not sure I'd go that far given how unpopular the Tories have made themselves.

The big reason he lost in 2019 was Labour refusing to commit on Brexit, and Farage's mob, whatever they were called at the time, standing down in a large number of Tory constituencies.  This time around, those factors were no longer present.

I think we would most likely be in hung Parliament territory if he had still been leading Labour.

Even if he'd theoretically have won, it would be a poor reason for failing to get rid of him.  "Let's stick with Jeremy because I can just about conceive of circumstances where the Tories have screwed things up so badly that we might still get elected even with him as leader" shouldn't be a winning slogan.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24199
    ICBM said:
    Possibly the second best one of the night, after Truss. I didn’t realise at first, but Truss fell to the largest swing to Labour in electoral history and becomes the first former PM to lose their seat since 1935. She excels herself again!
    DavidR said:
    Feel quite pleased with our new government.

The only strong feeling the election caused in me was the justice of Liz Truss losing her seat. Kwasi Kwarteng was decent enough to leave politics after the damaging fiasco of the 2022 mini-budget. Liz Truss didn't and it is very clever of the electorate to remove her from politics.

I hope she can find a rôle in life more suited to her competence.
    Apparently she was invited to make a leaving speech in her constituency, doesn't normally happen but befitting her position as a former Prime Minister,etc, but she just buggered off out the building instead. Classy to the end (oh and let's hope this is the end of her). 
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgrz2d77lgo

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    ^^ Truss really is a miserable wretch.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1018
    While I might normally choose to avoid public debate upon politicians and politics in general.  I find driven to offer:

Jacob Rees-Mogg.

That is all.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4772
    While I might normally choose to avoid public debate upon politicians and politics in general.  I find driven to offer:

Jacob Rees-Mogg.

That is all.
    Yes. I have to admit I did feel a certain shadenfreude about that one (as well as Truss who did not did not take her defeat with grace at all)
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19791
    Offset said:
    Oh I don't know, she has creatively extended the dimensions of delusion far beyond most peoples wildest imagination.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4772
    Truss will probably end up in the lords, I'd actually say she is one MP who is probably unemployable.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    Truss will probably end up in the lords, I'd actually say she is one MP who is probably unemployable.
    I’ve said this before, but she has always reminded me of a candidate I interviewed, as chair of my kids’ primary school parent council, for the role of headteacher. It was actually stunning how far separated from the reality of their own competence and suitability they were.

I would not choose Truss to run a primary school either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• rogdrogd Frets: 1583
    Offset said:
    And thick as pig sh#t!