Portillo moments 2024

What's Hot

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14920
    RobDavies said:
    The Portillo moment was great fun …
    … precisely because it was unexpected and not a little hubristic.

The 2024 election situation is different. Heavy defeats are anticipated and, in some instances, actively wished for. Many Conservative MPs realise that their constituents could be about to dispense with their services. 

There will be some relief when the worst of them are consigned to other employment. This could well be cancelled out by the other main party turning out to be equally rubbish while they hold office.

I draw a direct parallel between present day UK politics and the Bristol Stool Scale. It ranges from tough to runny but, ultimately, it is all shit.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    Andy Street losing the West Midlands mayoral election was probably more of a Portillo moment than we might see in the GE. Unexpected, lost by a small margin to an almost unknown Labour candidate. 
    Andy's partner Michael Fabricant is still standing in Lichfield so if he gets knocked out they can enjoy retirement together I guess.

[and yes this needs moving to the politics section] 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    Definitely Jeremy Corbyn. 
    Oh yes.  Horrible cnut who gave us Johnson, Truss and Sunak.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I like Portillo BTW. 
    Andy Street losing the West Midlands mayoral election was probably more of a Portillo moment than we might see in the GE. Unexpected, lost by a small margin to an almost unknown Labour candidate. 
    Andy's partner Michael Fabricant is still standing in Lichfield so if he gets knocked out they can enjoy retirement together I guess.

Good grief. I wasn't aware of that.  Fabricunt... holy shite. One of the worst Johnson apologists out there.  I didn't mind Street until I read this.

Well I hope Andy, Michael and a whole store-room of straw-coloured syrups do indeed retire happily.  Possibly...
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    Offset said:

Good grief. I wasn't aware of that.  Fabricunt... holy shite. One of the worst Johnson apologists out there.  I didn't mind Street until I read this.

Well I hope Andy, Michael and a whole store-room of straw-coloured syrups do indeed retire happily.  Possibly...
    Fabricant has an enormous majority- 23000 or so.
    Will be incredible if he loses.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1018
    octatonic said:
    Offset said:

The majority he has is for:
    a)  him
    b) his wig
    c) the party he represents
    d) those that think he has a funny surname

Pleas discuss
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3115
    octatonic said:
    Offset said:

The blue rinsers of Lichfield love the bloke for some reason. I saw him in a curry house once and his headgear is laughable in person. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

octatonic said:
    Offset said:

Yes massive gap between him and Labour. Lichfield probably stop the small boats (even though we've never seen them) territory so Reform might muddy the waters (so to speak) but even so reduced majority I guess. 

• guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 354
    Any particular Portillo moments you are looking forward/hoping for in the up and coming election.
    For me it has to be Liz Truss and Braverman.
    Don't forget Pritti Patel and Jacob Rees-Moog.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3750
    Francois. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1425
    Michelle Mone getting kicked out of the HOL….. please please please, and then prosecuted,….. and then found guilty. 
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Offset said:

Yes massive gap between him and Labour. Lichfield probably stop the small boats (even though we've never seen them) territory so Reform might muddy the waters (so to speak) but even so reduced majority I guess. 

....and Sir Michael did lose. Nearly forgot. There we go. 
    As you you were. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    octatonic said:
    Offset said:

....and Sir Michael did lose. Nearly forgot. There we go. 
    As you you were. 
    I was happy to hear it too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    Possibly the second best one of the night, after Truss. I didn’t realise at first, but Truss fell to the largest swing to Labour in electoral history and becomes the first former PM to lose their seat since 1935. She excels herself again!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 818
    edited July 8
    Feel quite pleased with our new government.

The only strong feeling the election caused in me was the justice of Liz Truss losing her seat. Kwasi Kwarteng was decent enough to leave politics after the damaging fiasco of the 2022 mini-budget. Liz Truss didn't and it is very clever of the electorate to remove her from politics.

I hope she can find a rôle in life more suited to her competence.
    DavidR said:
    Feel quite pleased with our new government.

The only strong feeling the election caused in me was the justice of Liz Truss losing her seat. Kwasi Kwarteng was decent enough to leave politics after the damaging fiasco of the 2022 mini-budget. Liz Truss didn't and it is very clever of the electorate to remove her from politics.

I hope she can find a rôle in life more suited to her competence.
    Apparently she was invited to make a leaving speech in her constituency, doesn't normally happen but befitting her position as a former Prime Minister,etc, but she just buggered off out the building instead. Classy to the end (oh and let's hope this is the end of her). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3437
    Offset said:
    With more votes than last weeks supposed 'landslide'? ok.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    Offset said:
    With more votes than last weeks supposed 'landslide'? ok.
    If Corbyn had still been leader, that wouldn't have happened.

Tory supporters would have turned out in their droves to keep him out.  As Starmer is New Labour style Tory lite, a lot of them weren't that bothered and didn't vote, shown by the low  turnout.  Others voted for Reform as a protest, but would have held their nose and voted tactically for the Tories to keep Corbyn out.  

It wouldn't just be the increased Tory vote with Corbyn in charge.  Labour would have lost votes.  In 2019, there were some North London constituencies with high Jewish populations where Labour got an estimated 7% of the Jewish vote.  This time they got 40%.  They wouldn't have got those additional votes with Corbyn in charge, and the Tories would have held those seats.  The effect would be smaller elsewhere without the large Jewish population, but there were definitely people who wouldn't countenance voting Labour with Corbyn in charge who voted for them this time.

If Corbyn had still been leader, any Labour majority would be much smaller, and we might even be looking at a hung Parliament.
    edited July 8
    crunchman said:

If Corbyn had still been leader, any Labour majority would be much smaller, and we might even be looking at a hung Parliament.
    If Corbyn had still been leader, we'd still have Sunak in No. 10.