What hill would you die on? Amp edition

What's Hot

Comments

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 4043
    edited July 22
    Fender's Tonemaster series is one of the best innovations in amplifiers in 40 years. 
    I love my Tonemaster Princeton, but I'm not sure I'd call anything about it 'innovative'. It's just a really good one-trick pony amp modeller mated to a nice cab and speaker, plus a couple of good IRs on the DI out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10165
    At gig volume, as an audience member, I can't really tell much more difference than "clean" "crunchy" and "distortion" guitar amp
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    The sound coming out of the amp barely matters. 
    The notes matter a lot, but the nuances in the tone of the amp are literally hogwash/meaningless to an audience. 

Your licks don’t sound any better to a listener coming out of a Bartel rather than Marshall DSL. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1183
    Fender's Tonemaster series is one of the best innovations in amplifiers in 40 years. 
    I love my Tonemaster Princeton, but I'm not sure I'd call anything about it 'innovative'. It's just a really good one-trick pony amp modeller mated to a nice cab and speaker, plus a couple of good IRs on the DI out. 
    It’s innovative marketing for a modeller 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    I’d say that’s pretty innovative compared to most of the modern amp market…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    I view  the Tonemaster as a Line 6 Spider stuck on one amp model .... but it looks like the real thing and to some people that matters. 

Sansamp put a superb DI with speaker emulation on their amps 25 years ago ... 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    If two identical amps and speakers were housed in different chassis and cabinets (visually), one given a low end marque and basic aesthetics and the other given a high end marque and high end tolex, badging, finishing etc people would absolutely hear more fullness, articulation, “3D” sound, creaminess etc etc blah in the otherwise identical high end one and would defend that position until the cows came home. 

People always listen with their eyes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9793
    People spend too much on a guitar and not enough on their amp.
    Most of the tone comes from the amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 872
    strtdv said:
    I've owned about a dozen amps (high gain channel switchers to turret board Hiwatt and Matamp, 6V6/EL34/EL85/6L6) and I sound like me through all of them
    This +1
    whatever amp I plug into, I generally set the eq controls to noon, then add the gain until I’m happy. Always sounds like me.
  • jmf1928jmf1928 Frets: 85
    Amps haven't improved in forty years. 
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1212
    mo6020 said:
    mo6020 said:
    • There is no such thing as a "too loud" amp
    My tinnitus would beg to differ 
    I'm blaming mine on drummers... 
    Me too. It's the feckin cymbals!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    jmf1928 said:
    Only thirty-three, actually...

Yes, the Mesa Dual Rectifier really is that old! It's an older design now than the '59 tweed Bassman was when the Rectifier was released. Which is the vintage amp?

Both of them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4004
    jmf1928 said:
    Amps haven't needed to improve in forty years
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2967
    edited July 23
    A 2204/2203 circuit is the amp equivalent of a tele, it sounds good doing anything. Provided you have a suitable boost and guitar/pickups it'll go as heavy as you like, and they clean up great too. An old JMP 2104 combo is still the best sounding amp I've played, instant ACDC straight out the box but with a boost it worked perfectly for my stoner metal band. 
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 314
    When you switch on a modeller, you are greeted with a front panel display with the current patch selected.

When you switch on an amp, you open the doors TO THE MAGNIFICENT GODS OF ROCK'N'ROLL.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10719
    Lebarque said:
    jmf1928 said:
    Amps haven't needed to improve in forty years
    Agreed ... same as the electric guitar, they got it right from the get go 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5266
    TTBZ said:
    A 2204/2203 circuit is the amp equivalent of a tele, it sounds good doing anything. Provided you have a suitable boost and guitar/pickups it'll go as heavy as you like, and they clean up great too. An old JMP 2104 combo is still the best sounding amp I've played, instant ACDC straight out the box but with a boost it worked perfectly for my stoner metal band. 
    it will do death metal, thrash meal, doom metal, sludge, AC/DC and more. 

and by do, I mean its still the best for all of them
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73536
    The 2203/2204/2104 isn’t just the best-sounding rock amp ever, it’s the definition of the sound of rock guitar. Ask any non-musician what an electric guitar sounds like, and they will try to describe it in words, in the same way as if you ask them what an electric guitar looks like they will describe a Strat or a Flying V.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7445
    It's too hard to update the firmware on valve amps. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1325
    ICBM said:
    The 2203/2204/2104 isn’t just the best-sounding rock amp ever, it’s the definition of the sound of rock guitar. Ask any non-musician what an electric guitar sounds like, and they will try to describe it in words, in the same way as if you ask them what an electric guitar looks like they will describe a Strat or a Flying V.
    I think the word we’re looking for here is “Kerrang!”, and the fact they named both a magazine and subsequently a radio (and for a while TV) channel after it kind of reinforces your point… :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...