New Nacho Day

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4479
    The look of the Nacho is a few levels above that of the CS guitars. 

As you said, the back of the neck is night and day. 

I’ve always thought the CS back of the neck relicing looks shit. 

The Nacho looks fantastic. I don’t even like Telecasters! 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5201
    Strat54 said:
    If anyone wants one there are six new ones to choose from at Guitar Point in Germany.....

If not for Brexit half of them probably would have been sold into the UK by now…
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 281
    chris78 said:
    That is stunning! 

Have you got a picture of the back of the neck to compare with the customshop?
    Sorry for the wait on this.
    I’ve taken 3 pics here - 

The first is a comparison with the broadcaster
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/mjuyb30wtq5tss1a9zj1l/IMG_2458.jpeg?rlkey=jeutywg5pqo11wg0ves9wem79&st=wd7d6kqi&raw=1

Then a comparison with my Todd Krause masterbuilt 
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s1o1dwaaerf05rhkd97u3/IMG_2460.jpeg?rlkey=60qxd8k4e6eyrs42gcdoge1sp&st=xb1jzx50&raw=1

Finally, the nacho, the Krause and a Vincent Van Trigt masterbuilt Strat 

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/njhb040dedlcnqqswf60m/IMG_2459.jpeg?rlkey=zablr8uskjs9vqnlk5mtapay4&st=mvrmaili&raw=1

Night and day isn’t it?
    WOW  Thanks for the pictures and yes it's Night and Day.

How are you finding the playability now? It's a shame that it didn't instantly feel easy to play but sometimes it takes time to get used to the neck etc
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1163
    edited August 3
    Yeah any update on the guitar since? (We are all living vicariously through you OP ha!)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24814
    I hadn't noticed until now quite how pronounced that V neck is.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10003

How are you finding the playability now? It's a shame that it didn't instantly feel easy to play but sometimes it takes time to get used to the neck etc
    The neck shape is actually really easy to get used to. 
    I have played a couple of blackguards but only briefly so I’m not sure if this is a copy of a tadeo neck that people rave about?

The guitar is inspiring and I’ve not really wanted to pick anything else up since I’ve got it. I might possibly change the wiring which is humbucker in the middle for either 4 way or standard post 67 wiring, but I’ve not made that choice yet and it may be that nacho knows better than me!
  • dannyboy82dannyboy82 Frets: 171
    chris78 said:

The neck shape is actually really easy to get used to. 
    I have played a couple of blackguards but only briefly so I’m not sure if this is a copy of a tadeo neck that people rave about?

The guitar is inspiring and I’ve not really wanted to pick anything else up since I’ve got it. I might possibly change the wiring which is humbucker in the middle for either 4 way or standard post 67 wiring, but I’ve not made that choice yet and it may be that nacho knows better than me!
    Amazing guitar and I agree, the neck relicing is a step above. Can you actually feel those marks? As in, are they actual dents/dings? I’ve always been quite sensitive to marks you can feel on the neck but it does look so much more realistic compared to the normal CS offerings.
    Amazing guitar and I agree, the neck relicing is a step above. Can you actually feel those marks? As in, are they actual dents/dings? I’ve always been quite sensitive to marks you can feel on the neck but it does look so much more realistic compared to the normal CS offerings.
    Yes, they’re proper dents and dings not just colouring. 
    You can absolutely feel them, but the neck itself just feels broken in and old so it’s part of the vibe I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I just wanted to update this thread after a very enjoyable afternoon with @fretfinder ;
    We put the nacho up against my CS broadcaster and a cunetto nocaster. 

In the looks dept, the nacho won out convincingly for the realism of ageing to pretty much every part of the guitar.
    Tonally, the broadcaster was great, but we both agreed it was a firm 3rd place. The bridge pickup on the cunetto competed, but sounded slightly more compressed and less open. The neck pickups were imcomparible with the nacho a very clear winner for its definition and tone. 

I’m not sure fretfinder was immediately sold on the neck of the nacho, given the fairly hard v shape, but I’ll leave him to give his thoughts if he wishes.
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 665
    The fretboard wear on Fender CS is always the most disappointing part for me. They seem to do these very well defined round marks, whereas real wear doesn't have that clear border between worn and unworn. There's a gradient. The Nacho looks to have achieved that much more convincingly.

Looks to be quite a pronounced V at the first fret. Nothing wrong with a bit of fight in a tele - nobody is buying these for their ergononic sophistication.

Congrats. If it inspires you then the rest is all academic anyway.
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2502
    Had More Cunetto era Nocasters than I dare to say and never found one I truly wanted to keep, even had one from the first batch of twenty. The neck profile was always a little too slim for my taste and the pickups uninspiring. Loved the look of the guitars though...alas sold them all. Same with the Strats too from that period. 
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5201
    edited August 9
    chris78 said:
    I just wanted to update this thread after a very enjoyable afternoon with @fretfinder ;;;
    We put the nacho up against my CS broadcaster and a cunetto nocaster. 

In the looks dept, the nacho won out convincingly for the realism of ageing to pretty much every part of the guitar.
    Tonally, the broadcaster was great, but we both agreed it was a firm 3rd place. The bridge pickup on the cunetto competed, but sounded slightly more compressed and less open. The neck pickups were imcomparible with the nacho a very clear winner for its definition and tone. 

I’m not sure fretfinder was immediately sold on the neck of the nacho, given the fairly hard v shape, but I’ll leave him to give his thoughts if he wishes.
    I suppose that playing a Nacho, a Cunetto Nocaster (with replaced Musikraft neck), a CS Broadcaster, two Masterbuilt Strats, one teambuilt CS Strat and a Robert Cray Strat, through a Lazy J10LC and Cruiser Deuce, wasn’t too bad a way to while away some time.

I agree with most of Chris’s assessment, the Nacho was definitely the winner on tone/sounds and the ageing is superb, incomparable to the CS guitars. I thought the Cunetto bridge pickup was 95% of the way there with the Nacho but the neck pickup was noticeably quieter and more compressed than the Nacho’s. The neck profile on the Nacho was a pretty hard V but not too noticeable after playing for some time. When you get into this pricey end of the market the law of diminishing returns applies but there is no doubt that the Nacho is a very fine Tele indeed. If you could only have one guitar…

As an aside, with the Strats, once we applied a decent bit of gain the Mexican Robert Cray held its own in the tonal department with guitars costing 4-8 times the price. And it’s in the classifieds right now!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15289
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    Had More Cunetto era Nocasters than I dare to say and never found one I truly wanted to keep, even had one from the first batch of twenty. The neck profile was always a little too slim for my taste and the pickups uninspiring. Loved the look of the guitars though...alas sold them all. Same with the Strats too from that period. 
    I'm with you on the Cunetto models - Yes it is the start of the whole project, but IMO they have moved on since then with regards to many factors - I've never found one that truly inspires - And yes the neck profiles, to me are not right

The concept of what they started was fine, but they have fine tuned the whole process many times since then, even allowing for the 'modern' updates like radius + fret size 
    tFB Trader
    I'll start this off with wow wow wow !!!!!!!!!!!!! - Chris was visiting the Peak District for a long weekend away, with the family, so he nipped into see me with his new best friend 

The first opinion will always be about  aesthetics for obvious reasons - Over the years I've sold  well over a 1000 C Shop Fenders - Probably close to 100 black guard Tele's, be it CS or M Built - Admittedly they have to make make around 150 a week so it will alway see more of a processed end game with regards to the aged finish - Probably my biggest issue with CS models is the dirty worn neck - Not because it feels wrong as it doesn't - But they create this worn area from around the top nut area to the 15/16th fret - That implies it has been equally worn and played along this whole area - No guitar player plays an equal amount along this patch - So it is a touch false - The Nacho is far more realistic with regards to its played in character on the neck and fingerboard 

The shade of the blonde looks right - Just enough of that custard cream vibe with more checking and less actual dings and dints - So yes top marks for how it looks

Now down to playing it - I always start of un-plugged - If it doesn't ignite your test buds unplugged, then IMO it is the end of any test drive - I was a tad apprehensive about the feel and a potential stiffness following some earlier comments that Chris had made earlier on this topic - 20 mins later I still had not plugged it in - I know you don't get to know a guitar inside out in 10/20/30 mins or even 2/3 months - But I can generally dismiss a guitar, as not for me, within 10/20/30 seconds - The frets are bigger than vintage but smaller than anything that resembles medium/jumbo - No lacquer on the frets helps with the feel and makes it more slick to play - The neck profile is significantly different to any CS or MB Tele I've ever played - To the point that if CS offered this exact profile as an option I think most of us would be reluctant to order it - Me and Chris had a chat about this as though Fender could make a more 'authentic' CS black guard that maybe split the spec and price between CS and MB - I don't know the exact depth size but suspect something around 850/860/870 to around 960-990 - But it is the V profile that initially takes you by surprise - Far more pronounced than the CS Soft V 56/57 profile and more pronounced than the 10/56V profile - For a fraction of a second it take you by surprise - But within a few mins it instantly feels like you are on home turf as it is so comfortable - You barely notice the V once you are playing it - So depth at its deepest point but slimmer shoulders, thanks to the pronounced V, hence it is so comfortable to handle - I don't play big bends so any stiffness is not an issue to me - 1/4 to 1/2 note bends tend to be my limit, after that I tend to slide or hammer on to the actual pitch/note I need/want - The playing experience had me hooked - And as I said above, 20 mins I had not even plugged it in - I've been known to actually buy a guitar at this stage - Both for me or for stock - To the point I can make its inherent tone work for me - But if it doesn't play right then you might as well be playing a dead duck 

So now plug it in - A crunch tone is generally my starting point and where I tend to sit - More JJ Cale and less JoBo for me - The neck pick-up is lush and smooth with just the right hint of clarity and brightness - Never dull and certainly not thin - More of a lush flute character that is more Karen Carpenter or Otis Redding - The bridge pick-up nails it - Brash but not ice pick sharp - Balls, attack, bite balls and grit - Always musical - It snarls in a good way

The above is carried out with the vol + tone pot on 10 - But a) 10 is my boost mode and b) I want to see what expression is available to me both with regards as to how I play the guitar (attack the strings or stroke) and how it responds with the pots rolled back - My first test surprised me a touch - As I was rolling back the vol pot it kind of had me thinking is anything happening - Any change appeared to be subtle, if at all - Yet when I took it back from say 7 to 10 I could here the 'boost' kick back in - So that is good as 10 is full on, but 6/7 is more cool and chilled but without any deterioration in tonal character, just less gain- So many guitars go dull on you when you do this and/or there is a cliff drop off point   - So with the amp on crunch mode I could go from a clean/warm jazz tone, to Stones/Oasis crunch without touching the amp

Bottom line is I'm hooked - No one guitar does it all - But this Nacho does a lot - Thanks Chris for giving me a long test drive, but no thanks for me wondering if I should have a chat with my flexible friend - It is a very special guitar 
    tFB Trader
    Strat54 said:
    If anyone wants one there are six new ones to choose from at Guitar Point in Germany.....

If not for Brexit half of them probably would have been sold into the UK by now…
    Interesting look at these option Nigel, especially after playing Chris's Nacho - All the above (via your link) have a 60's C profile - I've ordered/sold many with this profile and many times it would be my preferred option, along with the chunky Nocaster U - But I'm pretty certain I'd want that pronounced V profile now I've played it