Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The guitar that 'blew your mind' that you don't own?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6239
edited September 2013 in Off Topic
Being a crusty old bugger I started thinking about all the guitars I've got my hands on to play over the years but never owned, and which of those was the one that really  blew my mind in that I'll never forget playing it and would give both testicles to own one before shuffling off this mortal-coil.
(I'm at an advantage here as I've had all the kids I want)

For me it was the Travis Bean: 

I tried one of these out at small trade show in Southampton back in about 1977 and was just floored by  the quality (and the price). Although they are not a 'practical' guitar because of the famous tuning stability issues, I still lust after one of these beauties till this day. They command big bucks nowadays  (if you can find a descent example for sale) so I'l probably never realise my dream of owning one.

So any of you folks ever played that 'dream guitar' that you would consider giving your wedding tackle up for? 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33965
    The first time I played a Klein it blew my mind.
    I don't own that guitar but I now own something arguably better.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6239
    octatonic said:
    The first time I played a Klein it blew my mind.
    I don't own that guitar but I now own something arguably better.
    What would that be then?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited September 2013
    looks like a Kramer of the same era,   had theT section aluminium neck with 'composite/resin' inserts
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    looks like a Kramer of the same era,   had the alu neck with 'composite/resin' inserts
    Yep.. If memory serves me right. Kramer copied the idea from Travis Bean.
  • Pretty much my mate's entire collection, but aside from his swoonworthy LP Black Beauty 3-pickups-and-Bigsby, it was the LP Junior that blindsided me. As a huge fan of neck pickups, a guitar that doesn't even HAVE one was never going to win me over...or so I thought.
     The P90 in the bridge sounded HUGE but as musical as it was wide-sounding. Left me with a huge dollop of WANT

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    of all the guitars I've worked on, one of the nicest necks I ever played was on a hideous red/yellow burst, bolt-on neck, slab-bodied Encore Les Paul copy.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • A friend of mine used to own a '61 SG shaped Les Paul Junior. A staggeringly great sounding guitar. I don't like the look of SGs but would have bought it in a heartbeat if I'd known he was selling it. A stunning guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    When I did my first Bailey course, many years ago, Mark had a couple of his guitars lying around the place for course-goers to pick up and play in the evenings.

They were good guitars, but one of them was stunning.  It just worked - it felt good (neck, weight, balance), it looked good (washed blue, proportions) and didn't sound half-bad either.

I did try to persuade Mrs TT that doing once build-you-own-course and coming back with 2 guitars would be a very good use of time.  But she disagreed.  So I was forbidden to buy it.  So, naturally ...

I didn't.  (that surprised you).

However, this arrived, one Christmas a few years later ...

Not the original, but a re-creation of the guitar that I remembered, with a few differences (PRS VB+HFS & wiring).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    It's a well-worn story now so I won't bore you again, but many years ago I could have bought one of these -

- if I'd really wanted to. I didn't... I'm an idiot.

1956 Les Paul Custom - the one in question was in slightly worse condition and had been refretted (perfectly) with medium-jumbo frets. It remains the best-sounding electric guitar I've ever played.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    ICBM;38579" said:
    It's a well-worn story now so I won't bore you agaiin, but many years ago I could have bought one of these -

http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/gear/2911118/p3_urtc15nqi_so.jpg

1956 Les Paul Custom - the one in question was in slightly worse condition and had been refretted (perfectly) with medium-jumbo frets. It remains the best-sounding electric guitar I've ever played.
    Stick a Bigsby on that BB and we're in 'sex wee' territory.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    It's a well-worn story now so I won't bore you again, but many years ago I could have bought one of these -

Funny, cos if that Travis Bean didn't exist, that would be my other option. There was either a copy or re-issue of that Black Beauty at the same show..and I've loved P90 LPs ever since, hence my avatar 
    ;)
    ICBM said:

Funny, cos if that Travis Bean didn't exist, that would be my other option. There was either a copy or re-issue of that Black Beauty at the same show..and I've loved P90 LPs ever since, hence my avatar 
    ;)
  • I was lucky enough to play the red special unfortunately didn't like it,neck like a tre trunk does that count?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    A black Gibson 335 from a not exactly revered year of 1985. I tried it at a guitar show on at The Cavern in Liverpool, I had just bought a '52 reissue tele the week before and I wished I hadn't. This was not only the best 335 I've ever played but it was really up there for me against any other guitar.

Always regret not buying that. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'm a lefty. I buy whatever blows my mind. Only choice.
  • I played a £3k Guthrie-spec Suhr Modern and it was absolutely insane!

Came home without it and everything of mine felt like shit...
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    edited September 2013
    It has to be a tokai love rock LS85. Damn fine guitar.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Thinking back over the past decades, I honestly can't remember a guitar that i liked better than my self built no 1. I wouldn't swap it for any guitar. I guess I'm lucky.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    My mind-blowing guitar experience was an ancient Les Paul Junior (back when they cost less than $100). It just some how played like it wanted to make sounds - strangely I was having a double unusual guitar lesson as I was using a pick that had supposedly been cut from a coin that had been placed on the eyes of dead Haitians... 

And just like equalsql, I too would be willing to give both his testicles to own my dream guitar.
  • I was about sixteen and played a Gibson SG at the BMF at Earls Court.   It just "fitted".

But I've never owned one.....