Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The guitar that 'blew your mind' that you don't own?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• carloscarlos Frets: 3527
    Buy 2nd-hand. With high quality stuff you can always sell later for pretty much the same price you bought used.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    I was trying to shift a 70's Strat once and ended up at a local bloke's house, a guy who traded old and rare guitars (Bizarrely recommended by the manager from the local Crack Converters). He offered me stupidly low money for the Strat but was decent enough to offer me a go on an old Gibson J200 he'd got waiting for a bit of work. Allegedly it had belonged to one of the Jordanaires. It was a beautiful sounding guitar but he wanted three grand for it... with no provenance either. Still regret not selling a kidney and buying it though.
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited October 2013
    equalsql said:
    bertie said:
    looks like a Kramer of the same era,   had the alu neck with 'composite/resin' inserts
    Yep.. If memory serves me right. Kramer copied the idea from Travis Bean.
    Edit - Actually it seems that Travis Bean and Gary Kramer setup Travis Bean togther so when they spilt Gary Kramer did his own thing with the design they both came up with.
    Old Is Gold
  • equalsql said:
    Being a crusty old bugger I started thinking about all the guitars I've got my hands on to play over the years but never owned, and which of those was the one that really  blew my mind in that I'll never forget playing it and would give both testicles to own one before shuffling off this mortal-coil.
    (I'm at an advantage here as I've had all the kids I want)

For me it was the Travis Bean: 

I tried one of these out at small trade show in Southampton back in about 1977 and was just floored by  the quality (and the price). Although they are not a 'practical' guitar because of the famous tuning stability issues, I still lust after one of these beauties till this day. They command big bucks nowadays  (if you can find a descent example for sale) so I'l probably never realise my dream of owning one.

So any of you folks ever played that 'dream guitar' that you would consider giving your wedding tackle up for? 

The guy from The Electrical Guitar company (the worlds largest makers of aluminium guitar) has just teamed up with some people that own the Travis Bean brand to start re-issue some models. So it might not be competely out of reach.
    Old Is Gold
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom