Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The guitar that 'blew your mind' that you don't own?

What's Hot

Comments

• gjonesygjonesy Frets: 147
    When to guitarguitarr b'ham yesterday to try out some es335s. All v nice, different necks, some felt better than others. Then the guy goes "it's not what you're looking for but try this out". It was a suhr tele with p90 in the neck and trem. It's completely changed my outlook on how good a guitar could and should feel and sound like. I'm still struggling with the decision of walking out of the shop without it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6239
    Bet you you go back there next weekend!  :D 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3527
    equalsql said:
    octatonic said:
    The first time I played a Klein it blew my mind.
    I don't own that guitar but I now own something arguably better.
    What would that be then?
    Forshage
  • I once tried out a reissue tv yellow Gibson les paul double cut special. not a particularly expensive guitar at the time (I think about £500) but it was stunning. Had a really nice bratty voice that was unlike anything I'd heard before. I saved up to buy one but they disappeared from most shops in the intervening months. I think nowadays they fetch a fair bit more. A few years back I bought a PRS soapbar SE which came close in sound but the slab body and chunk of neck on the double cut special stuck in my mind. I have to say I've never really tried any particularly expensive guitars. I really enjoyed trying out a Gibson SG standard a few years back and I've always told myself I'll get one one of these days, but there are other things I want more ;)
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    In Edinburgh for an AC/DC gig (for those about to rock tour) killed some time in a guitar shop prior to a mostly liquid lunch.

I had a blast on an SG (Standard or 61 RI) as it would hat been rude not to, it was perfect for my hands and just felt right.

Had no deposit money so lost out and have never found one as good since.
    equalsql said:
    I literally sat on their sofa with my head in my hands for about 15mins trying to think of a reason that the missus would accept. I dont think "I need this in my life" works for her even though its the truth and you should never lie to the other half should you(?)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited October 2013
    gjonesy said:
    equalsql said:
    I literally sat on their sofa with my head in my hands for about 15mins trying to think of a reason that the missus would accept. I dont think "I need this in my life" works for her even though its the truth and you should never lie to the other half should you(?)  
    I think I must be blessed with an unusually forgiving wife. I seem to recall that when I spotted my N4 on eBay, and spent hours alternately staring at it and trying to figure out how I could juggle the finances to get it, she just said, "Look, you really want it, and you won't be happy if anybody else has it. Why not skip the rent and catch up next month?".

Similarly with the Jaden Rose S2, she just said, "If it means that much to you, get it - what's it got to do with me?" (and she was even being genuine there).

It does mean that I can't really complain about the obscene amount of handbags hanging around the place, but all's fair. This is the main reason that we've always kept our finances separate - we split the bills between us, and anything left over is nothing to do with the other.

As a result...I don't really have a guitar-that-got-away. I suppose Jaden's own wenge-top Original Series from a few years back might qualify, but mainly because he didn't tell me when he was going to sell it.
    <space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73048
    gjonesy said:
    equalsql said:
    Put a deposit on it, sell as much of your other as you need to, buy it. You'll regret it forever otherwise.

I really wish I'd bought that old Les Paul. I don't have a single one of the guitars I "needed to keep" which stopped me buying it, now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2013
    There have been a few. Some that spring immediately to mind:

1970 Les Paul Custom
    1974 Gibson L6 Deluxe
    1979 Strat
    1992 Ibanez RG570
    Fender CS '51 Relic Nocaster
    Music Man JP6
    Burny RLC-70S

Among many many others...
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    @digitalscream - you did the right thing making her your wife, youre a lucky man
    @ICBM - I cant even sell pickups at the moment! the market is pretty deflated. 

theres also the issue of me not being a good enough guitarist to justify such an obscenely good guitar 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27086
    edited October 2013
    gjonesy said:
    theres also the issue of me not being a good enough guitarist to justify such an obscenely good guitar 
    Too many people say this. You deserve the guitar that makes you happy - no more, no less. I'm not exactly a great guitarist (I could name at least 10 guitarists on here whose fingers I'd rather have), but I have expensive guitars because...I wanted them, and I'd rather have one or two amazing guitars that make me play to the best of my ability than having a whole room of cheapies because my playing doesn't justify having anything better.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11758
    tFB Trader
    maltingsaudio;38687" said:
    I was lucky enough to play the red special unfortunately didn't like it,neck like a tre trunk does that count?
    Same here - was kind of awesome to handle it yet it wasn't easy at all. My estimation of Brian May's talent went up even higher having played it. Great moment as it was the guitar that got me into building guitars at all.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    I haven't found a guitar that blows my mind yet. :)
    edited October 2013
    gjonesy said:
    Rubbish :). I had a 1970 Les Paul Deluxe and a 1971 Martin 12-string when I could barely play - if anything having these great guitars made me want to improve my playing to do them justice. I never did really, but I've still got the Martin 25 years later and it still sounds fantastic.

You can sell stuff if the price is right. It's just a question of priorities and having to take a bit of a loss for the greater good... how much do you want the Suhr? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• shobetshobet Frets: 180
    I've not come across one that blew my mind. I've had guitars I wished I'd bought but didn't, there's a particular Strat that springs to mind, it was a fantastic sounding guitar, not exactly a looker, but that's not the same as being blown I'm sure... 

I'm not sure there is a 'the one' out there for me, who knows, I'll keep looking and losing money all the way. 

Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
  • A Yamaha SG3000 in the late 80s. My best mate had one, and he was the guy who got me into guitar playing in the first place (because he got all the girls).
    Never played once since I actually learnt how to play, but I do remember my first E-chord through a RAT into an HH combo of some description.

• gjonesy said:
    Too many people say this. You deserve the guitar that makes you happy - no more, no less. I'm not exactly a great guitarist (I could name at least 10 guitarists on here whose fingers I'd rather have), but I have expensive guitars because...I wanted them, and I'd rather have one or two amazing guitars that make me play to the best of my ability than having a whole room of cheapies because my playing doesn't justify having anything better.
    Exactly. It's a hell of a lot better than midlife crisis types blowing their cash on a sports car, despite not being Fernando Alonso, Or whatever percentage of women it is that get into debt buying shoes and handbags despite not being a supermodel (I was struggling to come up with the equivalent profession but I assume you get my point). I think the best analogy though is cooking - you can make a perfectly good meal with a crappy old set of pans, blunt knives and chipped plates - but it'll probably look a lot nicer and be more fun to make if you use higher quality kitchenware, even if you aren't a Michelin starred chef! I'm full of analogies today.

Well guys you've given me enough encouragement to commit to (saving/selling first) and buying (probably early next year).
    The Suhr tele I tried was this one: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13031814305316
    So now the question that I'm asking myself is if I'm going to drop this sort of money on a guitar what else (if anything) should I be considering? I've never been a Tele sort of guy, typically going for something with humbuckers though I do like the p90s on my SG which is perhaps why this turned my head.

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    ddlooping;50930" said:
    I haven't found a guitar that blows my mind yet. :)
    I can beat that I don't even have a mind to blow with a mind blowing guitar, oh wait.

:D
    gjonesy said:

Well guys you've given me enough encouragement to commit to (saving/selling first) and buying (probably early next year).
    The Suhr tele I tried was this one: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13031814305316
    So now the question that I'm asking myself is if I'm going to drop this sort of money on a guitar what else (if anything) should I be considering? I've never been a Tele sort of guy, typically going for something with humbuckers though I do like the p90s on my SG which is perhaps why this turned my head.

That's OK, because it's not a Tele :). It's just shaped like one...

;)

Keep a look out for second hand ones, high-end guitars like this seem to often get bought and sold quite quickly, don't hold their value all that well and are usually kept in pristine condition by the owners.