Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

went to local Audi showroom today

What's Hot

Comments

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Audis just look boring to me, too staid. The TT looks like a squashed Beetle. And that string of lights they have in the headlamps is such a pathetic attempt at dressing it up, it's like putting a Flying V in the hands of Clement Freud.

But I'm sure they are very well engineered cars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    A man driving a TT probably smells of hairspray
  • capo4th said:
    ...And he refers to it as "product"!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    And he's probably a salesman.

• Ouch , I knew I was opening something here. Mine is four years old and don't have the daft headlights (they cost£500 more).
    Now to make all you Audi haters happy.
    The daft headlights cost £1100 just for the part and Audi have just added a 20% handling fee for any parts ordered . So one errant stone !
    I had a rear led cluster fail. A new bulb 50p, an Audi rear led cluster ...over £500. Thankfully done under warranty.

Took mrs m to a different dealer this afternoon and she liked a red S3!.. Oh well , getting it mot'd and new tyres and wait a year longer and see what comes out...
    Btw coming home I was cut up by a A5, a Mondeo , and a small fiat tailgating me on a duel carriageway at 70. I could have easily booted it and left him in my dust.... Instead I pulled over into the slower lane and let him catch the mondeo and tailgate him.
    Maybe I'm not cut out to be an Audi driver....
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    I really don't understand people who tailgate. They can't comprehend just how dangerous it is, especially in wet weather. The depth of peoples stupidity surprises me constantly.
  • musicegbdf;406738" said:
    Ouch , I knew I was opening something here. Mine is four years old and don't have the daft headlights (they cost£500 more).
    The daft headlights cost £1100 just for the part and Audi have just added a 20% handling fee for any parts ordered . So one errant stone !
    I had a rear led cluster fail. A new bulb 50p, an Audi rear led cluster ...over £500. Thankfully done under warranty.

Took mrs m to a different dealer this afternoon and she liked a red S3!.. Oh well , getting it mot'd and new tyres and wait a year longer and see what comes out...
    Btw coming home I was cut up by a A5, a Mondeo , and a small fiat tailgating me on a duel carriageway at 70. I could have easily booted it and left him in my dust.... Instead I pulled over into the slower lane and let him catch the mondeo and tailgate him.
    Tell her to get a bloody golf. Same car, better looking and 5k saving to spend on options!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Never been fussed on Audis. The R8 looks and sounds nice, but I had a ride in a fairly new A3 recently and despite looking quite wide and fat outside, it was sparse and claustrophobic on the inside..

Bland as hell they are.
  • stickyfiddle;406818" said:

Tell her to get a bloody golf. Same car, better looking and 5k saving to spend on options!
    Oddly when I bought the Audi I went to get a golf , but the same model the Audi was 2k cheaper after discounts. It's all about timing really.
    Actually , the golf gti is the engine I would like, but they don't offer it in the Audi. Mrs M does not like the style of the golf, and the only 4wd is the R.
    TBH what I would want is a TT, but can't get that past Mrs M and to be fair she drives our car 90% of the time as I train to work...
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6270
    Ouch , I knew I was opening something here. Mine is four years old and don't have the daft headlights (they cost£500 more).

You should get what you want: couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. 4wheel drive? Thought about. Bmw with x drive? New 4 is nice. I too am into 4 w drive.
  • stickyfiddle;406818" said:

Oddly when I bought the Audi I went to get a golf , but the same model the Audi was 2k cheaper after discounts. It's all about timing really.
    Actually , the golf gti is the engine I would like, but they don't offer it in the Audi. Mrs M does not like the style of the golf, and the only 4wd is the R.
    TBH what I would want is a TT, but can't get that past Mrs M and to be fair she drives our car 90% of the time as I train to work...
    Don't they do a Golf 4motion in the UK? You can't buy it here but I'm sure I read they were launching one around the time we bought ours.

EDIT: google says no. LHD only for now :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12096
    Snap said:

You should get what you want: couldn't care less what anyone else thinks. 4wheel drive? Thought about. Bmw with x drive? New 4 is nice. I too am into 4 w drive.

the engine in the 435xD is very nice, 0-60 in 4.7, 52mpg if you like

btw this site is excellent, shows all the current dealer discounts for each brand, which you can then use to negotiate at a local dealer: https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/4-Series/Choose_Number_Of_Doors/Coupe/

• xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    I think I'll stick to my 10 year old Ford focus.. I know you're all jealous
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    mrchi said:
    I've had 2 X Reg Focus' (1.4 and 1.8). The 1.8 was a great car to drive but unfortunately it wasn't very reliable. Too many things started to go wrong all at once so I had to get rid of it. Would definitely think of getting a Focus again in the future once my current car is paid off.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited November 2014
    Stevepage;407163" said:
    mrchi said:

I've had 2 X Reg Focus' (1.4 and 1.8). The 1.8 was a great car to drive but unfortunately it wasn't very reliable. Too many things started to go wrong all at once so I had to get rid of it. Would definitely think of getting a Focus again in the future once my current car is paid off.
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm out of the Audi bracket at the moment, having made a life-style decision to get into a less stressful career six months ago.

I bought a brand new Focus Ecoboost. It's really quiet, really comfortable, handles through the twisty stuff in a way that really puts a smile on my face and costs hardly anything to run. Over boost gives some extra temporary grunt for when you really want to get passed something and driven sensibly will do 50 mpg+ (it's petrol btw).

It's really made me re-evaluate what I want from a car. It has no 'status' value - but in ever other respect, it's superb.

Frankly, I'm not bothered what it represents to third parties.... I may just have grown up! (It was bound to happen eventually.....)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited November 2014
    My Ford Focus is an 07 model, 68k miles on the clock. Needs the timing belt changed (cost??). It rattles a little. All paid off. Don't know whether to run it to 150k miles or trade it in for something new. And if something new, what? Mine gets 38 mpg but I see new diesels are 60+mpg. Girlfriend would love an Audi - I also think they look cool. A friend recently bought a 2 year old Mercedes C class - looks amazing... 10k miles for £17k. A newish Ford Focus would cost similar! Focus is relatively cheap to fix, though. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited November 2014
    TTony said:
     Mrs Music calls it my menoporche moment.
    :D

F-type???

Wow, if only lol...
    You guys with your Audis, Mercs etc - you must be loaded lol!!! I wanna know what @richardhomer's niece does so I too can have 6 figures lol :D If only!!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73046
    Small cheap petrol 4WD that has decent performance, excellent build quality and reliability but is not an Audi/BMW/Subaru Imprezza/etc...

Suzuki SX4 4-Grip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I never got on with Audi. Was a BMW guy years ago when the company I worked for was stupid enough to give a 20 something a 325 coupe.
    The days a prefer small fun cars, my old mini cooper was a hoot to drive yet as comfortable as a large saloon on long journeys. Now drive an MG TF which again is so much fun to drive.
    If I were in the market for a large saloon it would have to be a Jag (must be getting old)
  • capo4th said:
    ...And he refers to it as "product"!
    Hahahah!!

So come on then - what are the best alternatives?