Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

went to local Audi showroom today

What's Hot

Comments

• FX_Munkee said:
    jd0272 said:
    Also what is the point of having a a saloon car. The boot is pretty impractical and 90% of the time reps don't have any passengers, driving response is often sluggish, they drink fuel. What's needed is an executive hatch.

Maserati Quattroporte 4.7 GTS answers your query.

And nah, I ain't got one   
    :x
    I considered a quattroporte as a replacement to my Alfa (stop sniggering).
    But 18mpg is a bit much for even me to ignore.
    Presumably you wanted even worse reliability and that was the only option? ;)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited November 2014

I used to really like Audi's.. when I baught the car I have now, I was actually looking for an A4 estate.. but found it was too short by about 4" to accomodate a pair of 4x12 cabs.. so I looked at the A6..

for the money I had, I could either get a 4 year old, low spec, small engine A6, or a 14 month old, Passat V6 FSI SEL 4Motion.. it was really no contest.. I really like the car but it's a bit thirsty.. it has the same enginey bits as the R32.. powerful, but really smooth and quiet too..

when I see the modern Audi's I really don't like them.. they've joined in with BMW in the aggressive "get the fk out of my way / the road is mine peasent" stakes...

it's not that I don't like the engineering, cos Beemers and Audi's look very good to me..  just don't like what they stand for..

when it comes to tailgating and generally driving like a nob.. that used to be the domain of boy racers and Beemers.. now it seems to be everyone in everything.. inculding housewives in people carriers full of kids, young girls in tiny hatches like Ford Ka or Micra, etc.. driving is not fun anymore, and now it's easier to count the days where you don't see something really dangerous or stupid..

I see so much tailgating, people not giving way to the right [or stopping or even looking] on roundabouts, and last week I had a green light, just started pulling away and an artic car transporter [fully loaded] followed by a white Transit drove across the front of me.. seeing the number of people that jump traffic lights is just sickening..

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On the subject of tail-gating - one of my pet driving hates, along with people pulling out in front of me and then driving very slowly - I always pull over and let them past.

It might delay my journey by 15 seconds but it means I can at least enjoy the rest of my drive and reduces the chance of some tw4t going up my arse if I have to brake....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74281
    I leave them on for 6 months, and some tyre fitters say leaving them on through the summer here is no problem
    They do make a big difference in rain and when cold with no snow
    they are significantly better under 7C in all conditions, they are a softer compound
    at 20C they are slightly softer than you'd want, but only a small lack of performance compared summery tyres, when considering the massive improvement in winter performance
    They bugger your fuel economy in the dry though. I'm interested in that in normal conditions, not performance. I wouldn't want to leave winter tyres on all year to get a loss of fuel economy for nine months, even with the advantage of better grip for three months. And they wear out quicker if they're a softer compound, which means even more expense.

I don't like super-hard 'economy' tyres either, there is a point where grip and safety matters more than low cost, but for most normal driving conditions standard decent-quality all-weathers are fine. (I have Michelins on the Renault and Kumhos on the Suzuki, if it matters.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12231
    ICBM said:
    I leave them on for 6 months, and some tyre fitters say leaving them on through the summer here is no problem
    They do make a big difference in rain and when cold with no snow
    they are significantly better under 7C in all conditions, they are a softer compound
    at 20C they are slightly softer than you'd want, but only a small lack of performance compared summery tyres, when considering the massive improvement in winter performance
    They bugger your fuel economy in the dry though. I'm interested in that in normal conditions, not performance. I wouldn't want to leave winter tyres on all year to get a loss of fuel economy for nine months, even with the advantage of better grip for three months. And they wear out quicker if they're a softer compound, which means even more expense.

I don't like super-hard 'economy' tyres either, there is a point where grip and safety matters more than low cost, but for most normal driving conditions standard decent-quality all-weathers are fine. (I have Michelins on the Renault and Kumhos on the Suzuki, if it matters.)
    most reviews and advice I have read is 6 months for the winter tyres
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2517
    can't believe nobodies done it yet:-
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Forsprung dork dikhed
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    Clarky, your spelling is atrocious. That's not how you spell "bell-end".

(I'll trade you your shredding capability for spelling?)

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272;408153" said:
    I think a lot of it is down to driver attitude. Same when it rains heavily, people panic and crawl (well they do up 'ere anyway). Probably sensible tho.

Rubber neckers grind my gears... Grrr

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Blueingreen... Did you like your golf?

Winter tyres are required by law in places like Germany
  • Clarky;408339" said:
    Forsprung dork dikhed
    Lol!!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    Tailgating; I just let them pass. I am beyond all that shit. Fuck em. It's thei problem not mine
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3868
    edited November 2014
    jd0272;408153" said:
    I think a lot of it is down to driver attitude. Same when it rains heavily, people panic and crawl (well they do up 'ere anyway). Probably sensible tho.

Fuck aye. You have a Wis for your wis.

"Oooh, there's a flashing light on the opposite carriageway, let's slow down and look,I'm sure no on will mind......"
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3868
    Snap said:
    Tailgating; I just let them pass. I am beyond all that shit. Fuck em. It's thei problem not mine

Mmmmm. Sometimes. But if I'm doing 80 (cough 69) and they're being aggressive, I've been known to pull alongside someone doing say 60 in the left lane, and simply slow it down. For miles.

Mind you, I have to be in a cantankerous mood, not in a hurry, and listening to something absorbing on Radio 4. If the kids aren't in the car, I may even have a leisurely cigarette (aye I know...). Bloke followed me once all the way to the petrol/diesel garage-y place. Was 'interesting' (quite irresponsible of both parties, but interesting nonetheless). And no, I didn't have the kids in the car.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6286
    Best car I had for dealing with snow wa keep grand Cherokee. Had that during the bad winter we had a few years ago- was the only car that could et anywhere, downside was I ended up ferrying a Lot of people round. It would go easily up steep,snowbound hills through over a foot of snow, no prob. On the road It was like a big cushy sofa. Hefty on juice too, about 25mpg. Cheap to buy though, lot of car for your money. Bought it 18 months old with 13 k on it, for £15k, form a dealer. Three years and 50k miles later I got 8k for it. Not bat at all, and that was with a blown turbo. We don't get the winters to get all 4wd and winter tyres though. Even if it does snow, it's never around long.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12655
    Seem to be driven by 3 main types, gangstas, sales boys and Alan Partridge types, all Travel Lodge and Lynx Java
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jd0272 said:
    jd0272;408153" said:

Fuck aye. You have a Wis for your wis.

"Oooh, there's a flasihng light on the opposite carriageway, let's slow down and look,I'm sure no on will mind......"

+1000. One time there was just normal roadworks on and because people wnated to stop and look there was a 15 mile tailback moving at 10-20mph.... took forever!!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    I think it's funny how the majority of Audi drivers race about like they're in a quick car, when the vast majority are driving around in 140bhp diesel models, 170bhp at most. Nothing a Mondeo doesn't have.

Even the 3 litre diesel quattros aren't as quick as they should be with the exception of the biturbo which is expensive.

At pretty much every level, BMW offers more performance at a given price point.

If I were looking to buy a "prestige" car, I would buy a 18 month old BMW 330d x-drive estate m-sport.
    Plenty of space for all your gear, looks fairly understated, and 0-60 in 5.4 while returning fairly decent mpg.
    You can get them for about £26k with plenty of extras (adaptive lighting etc)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Looks like posting this thread by me was a bit like a turkey sharpening the Axe at Christmas  :-)

I admit it I drive an Audi , I know this makes me a social misfit. Now what guitar can I buy that will also make me really hated...  Jem with a Bigbsy maybe  ????
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Unfortunately I live in Bradford. Audi are just the local money launderers up here.