Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bacon cooked-ness?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
edited November 2014 in Off Topic
While we're correcting all the ills in the world... how do you cook your bacon? Crispy or flacid?

Obviously the correct answer is crispy, but what annoys me more than crispy bacon is when someone's cooking you bacon and they like it floppy and they don't even offer to crisp yours up. Whats with that? Crispy-fans always ask, because they understand the disappointment of unsatisfying meat...
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I like mine floppy  :@)
  • I like to press the fatty bit (if there is one) against the frying pan base with a suitable implement while cooking, so that the fat crisps up without the meat getting crunchy.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I like to press the fatty bit (if there is one) against the frying pan base with a suitable implement while cooking, so that the fat crisps up without the meat getting crunchy.
    Now there's a man of good taste!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    I like to press the fatty bit (if there is one) against the frying pan base with a suitable implement while cooking, so that the fat crisps up without the meat getting crunchy.
    Bacon Perfection !

Don't like incinerated "crispy" bacon, or barely cooked pink stuff (with the salt water scum on it too <barf>)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like it pink and floppy because it seems like you get more of it. Well-done bacon gets all teeny weeny.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15859
    it needs to be just on the edge of crispy, but not so crispy that it becomes brittle (yes Americans, I'm looking at you). The fat needs to be cooked but flexible.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Crispy. Grilled not fried.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Agree with Vim. Again. Shit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:

come the end times and the resultant break down of law and order I'm gonna drag you around on a leash and get you to agree with me.

erm, too weird?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you're holding the fat on the bottom of the pan you can feel a slight 'pop' when the fat crisps up. sometimes you can see the fat change its visible texture as well.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    VimFuego said:
    mike_l said:

come the end times and the resultant break down of law and order I'm gonna drag you around on a leash and get you to agree with me.

erm, too weird?

Yes. I'm now frightened.

And may need to change my boxers.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Lixarto said:
    Crispy. Grilled not fried.
    this for streaky

back I prefer fried to cooked and any edge fat trimmed off
  • does anyone microwave their bacon? I've tried it but never been impressed enough with the result to do it on a regular basis
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2489
    Is the lack of access to decent bacon getting to you?
    It is, isn't it?

Mmmmm bacon....
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    Microwaved bacon can also lead to the scummy whiteness, yuck .....

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Only to bring already cooked bacon back to temp when making a large breakfast for the masses.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    Crispy fat is the only way, otherwise you have to cut it off.

When cooking the christmas turkey we cover the top in streaky bacon (and liberal amounts of salt), when that's cooked it gets super crispy and salty - proper yum.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I don't get this grilling of bacon, nothing beats an egg fried in bacon fat. Then save it and you can fry spuds in it for dinner.

• Jalapeno said:
    Microwaved bacon can also lead to the scummy whiteness, yuck .....

I think the scummy white yuckness is a result of the processing, or the way the piggies are treated before being taken on their last fateful journey. if I pay good money in some shops for quality bacon I observe less scummy white yuckness. I've recently been told of a high class butcher in the next village who's bacon never exhibits scummy white yuckness - but you need a mortgage to get any.
    Bacon fat is a glorious thing - I sometimes fry a bit of bacon just so I can do my fried bread in the fat.

The cat gets that bit of bacon, and I grill mine :)