Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bacon cooked-ness?

What's Hot

Comments

• FX_Munkee said:
    Is the lack of access to decent bacon getting to you?
    It is, isn't it?

Mmmmm bacon....
    Actually, there's a Waitrose in the mall under our building. They have a "pork room" with frosted glass sliding door. Behind that door there are more different types of bacon than you get at home. British, African, American, it's all there. Oscar Mayer streaky is actually pretty good stuff. You have to find one that isn't crazy-fatty but the flavour is there. 

I do crave proper butcher's back bacon and sausages though. Sausages here are rubbish.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15859
    Jalapeno said:
    Microwaved bacon can also lead to the scummy whiteness, yuck .....

I think the scummy white yuckness is a result of the processing, or the way the piggies are treated before being taken on their last fateful journey. if I pay good money in some shops for quality bacon I observe less scummy white yuckness. I've recently been told of a high class butcher in the next village who's bacon never exhibits scummy white yuckness - but you need a mortgage to get any.
    we get bacon from local sources here, no injected water, out door reared, old breeds etc. And it's same price or cheaper than the garbage in the supermarkets.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    Jalapeno said:

I think the scummy white yuckness is a result of the processing, or the way the piggies are treated before being taken on their last fateful journey. if I pay good money in some shops for quality bacon I observe less scummy white yuckness. I've recently been told of a high class butcher in the next village who's bacon never exhibits scummy white yuckness - but you need a mortgage to get any.
    we get bacon from local sources here, no injected water, out door reared, old breeds etc. And it's same price or cheaper than the garbage in the supermarkets.
    I should come and live near your butcher then
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    VimFuego said:
    Jalapeno said:

Dry cured bacon doesn't have "The Scum", brine cured bacon is the culprit (popular with big processors because it's faster).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Crispy for me...bordering on burnt.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8498
    Crispy fat for me, but not burned. My Girlfriend somehow manages to burn the meat and leave the fat all rubbery and horrible, so if there's bacon involved I need to take over.

Bacon and french toast. Those are my domain.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited November 2014
    Bacon is ok.  Smells awesome, tastes good especially when done with crispy fat...

But sausage and egg sandwiches are where it is at.  Proper sausages, from a decent butchers though - not the kind that are mostly water and overly finely blended meat like from supermarkets.

• ...and any edge fat trimmed off

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I like it pink and floppy because it seems like you get more of it. Well-done bacon gets all teeny weeny.

Good bacon barely changes size for me.  The stuff I get from my local butchers hardly changes in size, if at all.

For some reason I'm fine with buying chicken at the supermarkets but bacon and sausages have to come from the butchers.  The quality difference is massive - even the super market top range stuff isn't on level with what you get from a good butchers.  It is the sausages that bug me most though - they're always blended to almost a paste on the inside.
  • proper sausages have big chewy lumps of meat inside. and herbs & spices
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5221
    edited November 2014
    They have a "pork room" with frosted glass sliding door.

Out the back behind a curtain?

Do you have to pay for your filthy pigmeat separately in the room or can you take it through the regular checkout?

Man, things aren't like they were when I was a kid in Kuwait in the 80s. A friend of ours got arrested for attending an illicit pork 'n beer party.

Crispy for me BTW.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Again - bacon shrinkage doesn't happen with dry-cured bacon ..... </cracked record>

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Oven for me, not too crisp, just nicely done. Hungry now.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Jalapeno said:
    Again - bacon shrinkage doesn't happen with dry-cured bacon ..... </cracked record>
    Yes.
    I'll recommend Geo Bolam's in Sedgefield to any NE residents :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I like to press the fatty bit (if there is one) against the frying pan base with a suitable implement while cooking, so that the fat crisps up without the meat getting crunchy.
    Yes.

That's the way I do it too.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• WezVWezV Frets: 16959

and no one has mentioend smoked or unsmoked yet???   smoked is obviously the correct anser.

What about rind on or off?   I hate it with the rind on

For me its streaky bacon cooked with no extra fat, put it in the pan whislt its cold and let the fat render out as it comes up to temperature.  A good non-stick pan helps.   Cooked to the point of being crispy works for me although I do prefer back bacon cooked a bit less

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    WezV said:

and no one has mentioend smoked or unsmoked yet???   smoked is obviously the correct anser.

What about rind on or off?   I hate it with the rind on

Correct on the first, wrong on the second

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Prefer smoked, but will eat either when available ;)

Cooked rind is like mini-crackling and therefore awesome.

Feedback
  • They have a "pork room" with frosted glass sliding door.

Out the back behind a curtain?

Do you have to pay for your filthy pigmeat separately in the room or can you take it through the regular checkout?

Man, things aren't like they were when I was a kid in Kuwait in the 80s. A friend of ours got arrested for attending an illicit pork 'n beer party.

Crispy for me BTW.

Nah, you can take it to the regular tills - all the checkout girls are Filipino. You can't get it in most supermarkets.

Tbh I miss decent wine shops more. If Waitrose got a wine section I'd be very happy.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16959
    Jalapeno said:
    Prefer smoked, but will eat either when available ;)

Cooked rind is like mini-crackling and therefore awesome.
    I agree, love crackling.   hate chewy rind though and would much prefer bacon to have no rind than any risk of chewy rind