Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cornish pedals and similar expensive pedal makers ?

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31068
    Guys- I have to say, that ABC box made a huge difference- like clarity, harmonics, sweetness. Any noise that was left has gone.

It is very very good. And it weighs a ton so must be summat in there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Wazmeister;437592" said:
    Battery free mate, imho... Much smaller than you think, and look as cool as...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Pete Cornish/P1030163.jpg
    Thanks Warren like you I am a firm believer in the fact that a quality amp will sound better than any pedal. There are many pedals that can easily push a quality amp into tonal nirvana. When you need a little more. There is something unique about guitar cable and amp. I am right in thinking you have sold your Cornish pedals ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2014
    Double post on iPad
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    edited December 2014
    The way I look at it is like this - Say you have a job that pays £20,000 a year, that equates to taking home around £300 a week after tax. If I was to start making pedals as a full time living that means I'd have to match that AT LEAST. I don't think I could ever sell £20,000 worth of pedals a year without being a) The "best"  or b) Working 18hrs a day or c) Having a massive advertising and promotional budget.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • @capo4th - He did sell two, I have them and their never going anywhere ;-) 

I think Waz regrets selling the G-2, and I can't blame him

• juansolo said:
    Cornish survives as a pedal manufacturer on word of mouth and the fact that he make pedals for a certain David Gilmour. An endorsement like that means that you can just charge whatever you like and someone will pay it because who doesn't want to sound like Gilmour?!
    Me! I've spent my weekend wanting to sound like Jeff Parker with Tortoise :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    The way I look at it is like this - Say you have a job that pays £20,000 a year, that equates to taking home around £300 a week after tax. If I was to start making pedals as a full time living that means I'd have to match that AT LEAST. I don't think I could ever sell £20,000 worth of pedals a year without being a) The "best"  or b) Working 18hrs a day or c) Having a massive advertising and promotional budget.

Like any start up business you will have to work like a dog for the first couple of years without any real money, after that you should be ok. The pedal market is a big one and you'd be surprised how easy it is to get into it.. If you do it right. But like anything, if you want it to do well you've got to put the hours in to start with.
    edited December 2014
    Here's a thing; I've had 3 members of this forum (@thisisguitar being one) plus Martin from Little Guit Shop try my rig.

Each of the 3 said something along the lines of OMG I get it. It's really that good- esp where the CC1 and P1 are concerned.

Now, I'm not the best player in the world, but @thisisguitar and Martin are incredible players. If they were utterly blown away and hed their perceptions changed, who am I to argue?

@thisisguitar was so impressed he bought some- and he's Welsh, so if he gets it, anyone can

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    edited December 2014
    Gassage said:
    Here's a thing; I've had 3 members of this forum (@thisisguitar being one) plus Martin from Little Guit Shop try my rig.

Each of the 3 said something along the lines of OMG I get it. It's really that good- esp where the CC1 and P1 are concerned.

Now, I'm not the best player in the world, but @thisisguitar and Martin are incredible players. If they were utterly blown away and hed their perceptions changed, who am I to argue?

@thisisguitar was so impressed he bought some- and he's Welsh, so if he gets it, anyone can
    I can believe it, they really are that good. I think half of it is they are extremely well put together boxes, and the other half is probably subconscious but you know that PC made them. 
    Together, when you plug in to one it just feels right. The pedal is almost telling you - this is how it should be done, consider yourself lucky to be playing such a sonically perfect superbly engineered box full of bits and bobs. Don't like it??? Well you must learn to like it cos it don't get any better...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xHymnalxHymnal Frets: 255
    Eurgh I want a p1 in one of those lil black boxes. Now. 
  • @Hymnal - It took Pete less than 4 wks to make mine from the order to delivery.

@Gassage - You are a rotter and a cad. I blame you entirely for finally getting my three Cornish pedals.

Joking aside though, his rig is ridiculous! I'm not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but I earn my living playing or teaching music and I put pretty much everything I have into it. It's my hobby and my job so some of it is tax deductible. I'm also starting to move into writing for publishers, so I want to be able to find any sound I can think of, as well as the inspiration these things bring. 

This is what I tell myself anyway :-)
  • for me the best part of Gassage's rig will be that Hiwatt. 
    They just sound amazing and they sprinkle magic fairy dust on pedals and just make everything come alive. 

It's all opinion of course but having recently moved to a Hiwatt myself I was blown away by the sound. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31855
    juansolo said:

Cornish survives as a pedal manufacturer on word of mouth and the fact that he make pedals for a certain David Gilmour. An endorsement like that means that you can just charge whatever you like and someone will pay it because who doesn't want to sound like Gilmour?!

This completely misses the point IMO. Cornish DOESN'T survive by selling to aspiring amateurs, he sells tour-worthy equipment systems to professional musicians and their road managers/techs, by word of mouth.
    He's not "charging what he likes", road managers have budgets too.

While celebrity endorsements do no harm (and Cornish supplies probably more than most percentage-wise) almost nobody outside gear fora has the remotest interest in sounding like David bloody Gilmour, and never did.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    juansolo said:

This completely misses the point IMO. Cornish DOESN'T survive by selling to aspiring amateurs, he sells tour-worthy equipment systems to professional musicians and their road managers/techs, by word of mouth.

While celebrity endorsements do no harm (and Cornish supplies probably more than most percentage-wise) almost nobody outside gear fora has the remotest interest in sounding like David bloody Gilmour, and never did.

I checked with my Mum. She said she's never had the remotest interest in sounding like DG so you're right.

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2176
    edited December 2014
    I've never tried any cornish stuff. I do recall it was like night and day when I tried my first wampler pedal compared to the usual boss dross I'd been using. I was hesitant spending over £100 on a pedal. But it was worth every penny as soon as I played my first note.
    Now if the cornish stuff is like night and day compared to wampler and Co then fair play. If you can afford it why not?
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    I would say this- the Euphoria is at least the equal of the Cornish equiv- the SS3.

But then the SS3 is my least liked Cornish pedal. I'd honestly take the Euphoria over it. I wouldn't swap anything for the CC1, G2 and P1 though

This thread is a perfect example of why people buy high end pedals. The mojo and mystique and quality descriptions of users have me perusing the Cornish website.... Gotta love it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12026
    Like every consumer product out there, there is a rule of diminishing returns, a curve that when it gets to a point where you are spending more money for the smallest margins of improvement, whether these improvements are in build quality, sound quality, packaging, customer service, usability, style or even the history of the brand.

How much weight you place on the little 1% for the 90% of the costs is entire up to the end user. I like boutique gear as much as the next guy but there is a point on that diminishing return curve where I say enough is enough. It differs to everyone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22493
    edited December 2014
    p90fool said:

The idea that he could survive alone on his professional client list is not supported by his online client list unless you're seriously claiming that making cables for the fucking Fratellis kept Pete in Weetabix over 2013. 

The reality is more likely to be provided by his serial code decoder page and the ex-dealers. I would suggest that once demand got big PC cut back on the dealers and relied more on direct sales. Less hassle from dealers, more cash made from direct sales, and it will be aspiring amateurs where the bulk of his sales will be. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    Wazmeister;437592" said:
    Battery free mate, imho... Much smaller than you think, and look as cool as...

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/Pete Cornish/P1030163.jpg
    Thanks Warren like you I am a firm believer in the fact that a quality amp will sound better than any pedal. There are many pedals that can easily push a quality amp into tonal nirvana. When you need a little more. There is something unique about guitar cable and amp. I am right in thinking you have sold your Cornish pedals ?

Hi mate,

I did indeed sell my last two (CC1 and G2) recently to @thisisguitar.

And I agree, a good amp is worth two in the bush... Or something like that...