Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Cornish pedals and similar expensive pedal makers ?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Found a pic of the clone I bought from a friend. There's pics of the innards in the text bit: https://www.facebook.com/juansolofx/photos/a.495054293934629.1073741830.450099655096760/593084387464952/?type=1&permPage=1

To prove a point, I think I payed £90 or something like that for it.

There are some pics of my old Darkside a few pages back. As I say that's an old, old build. I do a lot differently now. But, I can see I've used a 50k pot for tone and used resistors to turn it into a 25k there. I know on later ones I was able to get the right pot and it was slightly brighter for it. Otherwise there are some changes to the gain I can spot there too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    As with everything, it is only worth what people are willing to pay.  If people are happy to pay for it, then it is the right price.   I think the likes of Cornish, Bradshaw etc could get buy selling their products for less of course they could.
    But they have spent years and years building a brand from the ground up, why not reep the rewards now?

• TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    There's no mystique in it, boxes?

He just uses what's available, none of it's that cheap though, not compared to what the big manufacturers pay for stuff. Also his comps aren't cheap, I've seen a lot of Wima film caps in his stuff - all areas where many other builders cut costs
    Oh indeed. He orders quality parts from the usual suspects in the UK (RS/Farnell/Rapid). Though RS are behind the times by charging delivery, regardless of the order size, to non-business buyers so I only use them as a last resort. Pet peeve that...

It's very easy to cut corners on caps for example by getting them from China. There's a lot of stuff these days that you simply can't trust to be anything like in tolerance or indeed the part advertised. So you stick with Japanese stuff (Panasonic, Nichicon and the like) and you can't really go wrong. But it's not like he, or anyone else for that matter, has a mystical stash of super high quality components that no one else can use.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    Decent gutshot here. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458
    :)

Heh heh
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    @ Juansolo Have you tried mouser? free delivery over £60 I think, they fedex it, takes about 2 days from Texas
    edited December 2014
    TheCount said:
    @ Juansolo Have you tried mouser? free delivery over £60 I think, they fedex it, takes about 2 days from Texas
    Import duty shags you here on anything over £15 and there's no avoiding it if you use a courier. Once you add that it becomes more sensible to get stuff here. I mostly get my stuff from Rapid/Farnell/CPC. The latter being the most small scale friendly and generally has the best prices. The only things left that I import at Alpha pots (because there's a huge mark up on them here), PCBs and general odds and sods you can't get here. Just about everything else you can get locally.
    15 quid!!! Wow, used to be 100.  

Banzai in Germany are pretty good, I get a lot from them, pots, switches etc. And Rapid is another in the UK that are really helpful.

Most comps come from Mouser though, as it's fast delivery, I don't have to hold crazy amounts of stock, although it has bitten me on the arse once or twice when they've been out on something essential and the lead is 17 weeks or so.

• JohnPerry said:
    Decent gutshot here. 

organic carrots, don't you know...
    edited December 2014
    TheCount said:
    15 quid!!! Wow, used to be 100.  

Banzai in Germany are pretty good, I get a lot from them, pots, switches etc. And Rapid is another in the UK that are really helpful.

Most comps come from Mouser though, as it's fast delivery, I don't have to hold crazy amounts of stock, although it has bitten me on the arse once or twice when they've been out on something essential and the lead is 17 weeks or so.

Actually I've just noticed uk.mouser.com... When did they come here!? That's potentially nice and useful!

But yeah, it's been £15 for a while. It was £18 but you could still get US Blu-Rays for less than that so they dropped it... Bastards.
    All comes from the states, just a website with sterling on it, you'll still pay 20% on top of the prices shown. 

What's a blue ray? Some kind of fish?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10458

I ordered  a proximity switch from Mouser last week and it turned up in 3 days, they do a lot of bits you can't get elsewhere 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    edited December 2014
    TheCount said:
    All comes from the states, just a website with sterling on it, you'll still pay 20% on top of the prices shown. 

What's a blue ray? Some kind of fish?
    Ah, that rules them out for most things then. :(

High res DVDs essentially. They can have fish on them.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom