Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Arise Sir Jonny

What's Hot

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31244
    VimFuego said:
    the game is so different now, it's all about winning the tiny percentages. Some of the great, almost maverick players of the past, the ones who could light up a stadium with a moment of pure genius, probably wouldn't cut the mustard today. It was interesting listening to Toby Booth (one of Bath's coaches) being interviewed during the match and the interviewer mentioned one of baths tries (think it had come through a moment of individual brilliance) and he said it was great, but what they're really about is building and applying pressure in the right parts of the park. That's what wins matches nowadays. Anyone watching the AB's, unless they're a kiwi, would ever call them an exciting team. But what they do, 1-15, is apply increasing amounts of pressure, in the right parts of the pitch. That's why they just keep winning. Personally I think they're a boring team to watch, I'd much rather watch France or Scotland play, but they lose a lot of matches, even if they do it in style.
    Interesting....I see NZ as SOAKING pressure and being brilliant at counter attacking. In the last  18 tests they've played, they were behind after 65 mins in 12 of them. They're masters at winning in the last ten mins.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3705
    They dish out knighthoods to any old sportsmen nowadays IMO.

In the past it was an incredibly rare honour for a sportsman to win it it.

No "Sir" Fred Perry despite his achievements.

No "Sir" Bobby Moore even though he captained his team to a cup final, Cup winners cup and World cup in consecutive years.

No Englishman has ever led his team to an association football world cup final where there are far more countries entered than any rugby or cricket "world" cup .......  but no knighthood for him.
    edited December 2014
    I think Perry is a good candidate.

Like Wilko, Bobby Charlton was the icon of the England 1966 side- he was knighted. I'd suggest Martin Johnson may have had more of a claim than Jonny, as a parallel to your Moore suggestion, but Wilko is the icon.

And, for the record, you mention domestic trophies won- Moore wouldn't come close to the size of MJ's trophy cabinet!

But Jonny isn't 'any old sportsman'- he is agruably one of two global rugby stars ever- Lomu being the other.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905
    Gassage said:
    VimFuego said:
    the game is so different now, it's all about winning the tiny percentages. Some of the great, almost maverick players of the past, the ones who could light up a stadium with a moment of pure genius, probably wouldn't cut the mustard today. It was interesting listening to Toby Booth (one of Bath's coaches) being interviewed during the match and the interviewer mentioned one of baths tries (think it had come through a moment of individual brilliance) and he said it was great, but what they're really about is building and applying pressure in the right parts of the park. That's what wins matches nowadays. Anyone watching the AB's, unless they're a kiwi, would ever call them an exciting team. But what they do, 1-15, is apply increasing amounts of pressure, in the right parts of the pitch. That's why they just keep winning. Personally I think they're a boring team to watch, I'd much rather watch France or Scotland play, but they lose a lot of matches, even if they do it in style.
    Interesting....I see NZ as SOAKING pressure and being brilliant at counter attacking. In the last  18 tests they've played, they were behind after 65 mins in 12 of them. They're masters at winning in the last ten mins.
    well, kinda the same thing, they have the ability to apply pressure in defense, making the opposition wear themselves out, force them to make mistakes. Of course, if other teams work them out (would've been interesting to see Ireland play them this autumn) then they may be in trouble.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Yeah I don't mean that good players from yesteryear couldn't/wouldn't be good in this day and age-its just impossible to say wilkinson is better than Barry John or vice versa.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    Gassage;458024" said:

All he could say was that the public of New Zealand have considered Dallaglio to be a Cunt over there for many years now.
    Fixed that for you.

edited December 2014
    Wow, you mean you fixed a subtle piece of covert but overt crafted humour that was placed in an obvious yet subtle manner?

Thanks.

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited December 2014
    I can cope with the royal family because having an unelected head of state serves a democratic purpose. But calling somebody "Sir" because they kicked a ball or sang a song or did something charitable is bullshit. Wilko seems like a nice enough bloke and I wish him well but if we want to honour folk then give 'em a medal or something. Just don't tell me I have to call them "Sir."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    jellyroll said:
    I can cope with the royal family because having an unelected head of state serves a democratic purpose. But calling somebody "Sir" because they kicked a ball or sang a song or did something charitable is anachronistic, nefarious bullshit.
    Yet one has his title purely through personal worth and achievement and the other doesn't. Ironic eh?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15905

I prefer the old method of selecting knights, you just had to be good at hitting someone with a sharp bit of metal, preferably in the service of the winner.

So with that criteria, Martin Johnson would be a more logical choice.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    jellyroll said:
    I can cope with the royal family because having an unelected head of state serves a democratic purpose. But calling somebody "Sir" because they kicked a ball or sang a song or did something charitable is anachronistic, nefarious bullshit.
    Yet one has his title purely through personal worth and achievement and the other doesn't. Ironic eh?
    Fair point as the Queen only got her title because her mum fucked the King. She's no real different to Katie Price really.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11448

Fair point as the Queen only got her title because her mum fucked the King. She's no real different to Katie Price really.
    He wasn't the King at the time of said tuppage.

As for Katie Price, when was droit de seigneur ever exercised in her direction? Droit de plastique, possibly.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited December 2014

All fair points.  What I will say though it that when I was 18 I played rugby against the Queen Mother and she was a shockingly bad number 8.  Never played against Katie Price but similarly she's always struck me as a pretty poor, albeit inexplicably successful hooker.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    I dropped some old shite off at the charity shop last week because it's nearer than the tip. Where's my fucking Knighthood?
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I dropped some old shite off at the charity shop last week because it's nearer than the tip. Where's my fucking Knighthood?
    *ahem* Did you read the thread title? ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    Hopefully they'll realise their mistake and it will all be sorted out soon.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • He's been called Sir Jonny in our house for a long time... but then Gary Megson is called Lord Megson here too.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• Not on my own then @Gassage ;)
    @koneguitarist

I haven't seen anything to that effect, but if you're relying on a rugby allegience with @randomhandclaps 's analogies with Katie Price then you're struggling......

• Whoah!!!!!  Don't go tying me in with this.  My obsession with rugby died off about 12 years ago and I feel so out of touch now but even I realised that as soon as Wilko and Jenkins started getting compared this thread had turned into a parody.