Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Last night...ear disaster.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30934
Last night I was pretty knackered. I decided to back to back two pairs of boutique in ear headphones, my Shure 245's and my `sony's.

When I'd finished the Sony test, I noted I'd lost the ear bud- searched high and low, couln't find it. I then tried the Shures, prefered the Sony's.

Went to bed...woke up feeling slightly dizzy.....and yes, I'd managed to push the bud off the Sony's right down into my inner ear! Aided and abetted by shoving the Shure's right in after.

Took Ali 20 mins with tweezers and torches to remove it.....!

But I am no longer dizzy...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

16reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is it uncharitable of me to want to LOL that at least twenty times?
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Gassage;31443" said:

That's up for debate.

I had my ears cleaned when I was in Cambodia, the nice man pulled out what can only be described as a plug of wax with fuck knows what attached to it, came out with a right pop and could hear like Superman for a day until I got used to it.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30934
    Not funny...still have migraine

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2015
    Gassage;31443" said:

That's up for debate.

I had my ears cleaned when I was in Cambodia, the nice man pulled out what can only be described as a plug of wax with fuck knows what attached to it, came out with a right pop and could hear like Superman for a day until I got used to it.
    When I was still playing rugby, as a back row I used to plaster my ears with Vaseline to prevent caulis and sores. One day I managed to get a glob right into the inner ear. I could not walk due to the inbalancing effect. I went to A and E and it took them 2 hrs of syringing it to remove it....

• I had my ears cleaned when I was in Cambodia, the nice man pulled out what can only be described as a plug of wax with fuck knows what attached to it, came out with a right pop and could hear like Superman for a day until I got used to it.
    Yeah...I syringe my own ears, and if I leave it too long between doing it then I often end up with a massive black lump coming out of my ear and hitting the sink with a noticeable "thunk".

Gassage said:
    Not funny...still have migraine
    Ah...you didn't mention that part. That's shit, man...hope it clears up soon. Drugs and a dark room...stop looking at the forum!
    <space for hire>
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    No this is funny, and rip-the-piss-able mercilessly - on a par with @Noisepolluter DIY ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For what it's worth, the dizzy/sick feeling is exactly what you get from syringing your ears using cold water. It's a mistake you only ever make once, believe me.
    <space for hire>
    Crazy thing was I was searchng high and low for the bud with a torch under the couch, round the carpets, everywhere. Thinking where the fuck is it?

• This is the thing that worries me about those wee caps on ear buds!!   Every time I put mine in I'm gonna think of this thread...
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27149
    If it feels better I had a 7 hour night-flight in the summer. Put custom mould earplugs in once we'd reached cruising height and tried to get some sleep. Woke up about 4 hours later wondering why my ears hurt so much. Turns out I'd put them in the wrong ears and somehow both had gone in with little trouble...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Wax coming out of your ear is entirely normal, the chewing motion or talking helps it out over time but I still get the urge to stick cotton buds in and wiggle them around.

I fortunately never had the dizzy feeling, just thought I had dull hearing from too many raves and rock concerts.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443

How do you syringe your own ears ? mines really blocked at the mo, I have been using the drops to soften the wax for days but one ear is still blocked solid 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969 said:

How do you syringe your own ears ? mines really blocked at the mo, I have been using the drops to soften the wax for days but one ear is still blocked solid 
    I use Boots own-brand wax softener drops, although I've had decent results with Earex too. Leave the drops in for 10 minutes (it'll feel really weird - often, there's a lot of fizzing in your ear), then use a small-ish syringe:

...to blast body-temperature (very, very important) water into my ear. That's a syringe you get with a bottle of Metacam painkiller for medium-to-large-sized dogs (or large rabbits). The size of the syringe means that you can't realistically generate enough force to do any damage, but as always with these things...if it hurts, stop immediately. Also, bear in mind that you're currently taking medical advice from somebody on a guitar forum.

It sometimes takes a few repeats of the process, but I tend to leave at least 6 hours between them. The wax softener can cause a lot of irritation in the ear canal if used too often, or too much in a short space of time.
    <space for hire>
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10443
    Danny1969 said:

Also, bear in mind that you're currently taking medical advice from somebody on a guitar forum.

Lol that bit made me laugh :)

If the nurse won't do anything for me tomorrow I'm gonna try your trick
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Mrs Electrodan: What are you reading?

Electrodan: A thread about a man getting something removed from an orifice with tweezers and a torch.

Mrs Electrodan: What!?

Electrodan: Yeah, last time he shoved Vaseline in there... couldn't walk right after!

Mrs Electrodan: I'm cancelling the Broadband!

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    When I became deaf in one ear I couldn't stand up for a week and it took 1 month before I could ride a bicycle again.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I suppose I'm lucky I have small way openings.
    My V key is broken
  • @Gassage, slightly unrelated, but I read all your posts in my head in a Scottish accent.  Not sure why.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've done that before on a plane, tried tweezers on landing an wouldn't work (ends are smooth), had to wait for an hour plus drive home and used needle-nosed pliers. Didn't make me feel ill, but claustrophobic… weird. 

Glad you've sorted it mate, sounds horrid!
  • A colleague of mine had Labyrinthitis. said it was like being on a ship in bad weather all the time. It's not one of those things where you can just curl up and sleep it off.

I remember after he'd returned to work, I asked him if he was better. He said yes, I'm a lot better now... and promptly fell sideways into the wall.

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom